What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone going to see Something for Kate at the Forum in June? Conveniently located across the road from Beer De'lux

Gettin' my emo on:

615DO7L%2Bp8L._SY300_.jpg

Coheed and Cambria - The Afterman: Ascension (wow, possibly the wankiest full album/artist combination I've ever typed out)

Nice prog rock/pop. Not as dark and moody as their earlier stuff, but a step above the last 2 albums.

WarmBeer said:
Coheed and Cambria - The Afterman: Ascension (wow, possibly the wankiest full album/artist combination I've ever typed out)

Nice prog rock/pop. Not as dark and moody as their earlier stuff, but a step above the last 2 albums.
As a lover of all things prog, I never really got into C&C. Was never really heavy enough and didn't enjoy the singing all that much. Might have to give them another listen though since it has been a couple of years since giving them a fair go...

Yob.

some peanut was going to bring them and Elder out here over the easter weekend, booked venues & support bands, then realised that he couldn't afford to do it. fark.

sponge said:
As a lover of all things prog, I never really got into C&C. Was never really heavy enough and didn't enjoy the singing all that much. Might have to give them another listen though since it has been a couple of years since giving them a fair go...
Start with III, then move on to IV (they've both got longer, wankier, names, but I don't wish to pound my fingers to stumps typing them in).

Was never a Rush fan, but think of Claudio's voice in a similar vein to Geddy Lee, and you should be able to get over the whiney-ness.

I 'acquired' the last two dinosaur jr albums a few days ago. They have been on repeat ever since.

I hope the neighbours like guitar solos

Dinosaur jr... awesome. Where you been and without a sound (released around '95, just before I think) are my favorites. Get on to them if you don't already have them.

thedragon said:
Dinosaur jr... awesome. Where you been and without a sound (released around '95, just before I think) are my favorites. Get on to them if you don't already have them.
True. I'm talking about 'Farm' and' I bet on Blue Sky' (or something like that) many brewskies drunk now :super:

Nice. Farm is a good album. Never got in to I bet on sky. Probably more tomdomwith me than the album. If you're not sure if you like the older stuff, try ear-bleeding country (2000-ish): it'll give you a great intro to '80s - '90s dinosaur jr.

Denouncement Pyre - Almighty Arcanum....looking forward to their summoning next month. Uurggh

Anyone else lose their shit when they hear this song and then were perpetually and exponentially disappointed with everything they released after this? (in terms of songs and your encounters with them...Dirt had some good tunes, but **** I loved this song when I first encountered it).

Cocko - I have spent the last week on some bizarre 90s grunge trip including TOTD and Hater...I hated it back then, but enjoy it when drunk now.

http://youtu.be/kbrANo-1QMQ

I was never, ever able to get into AIC (and I was basically their exact market at the time).

Never could explain it. It works on paper.

Yea. As I said, I was much the same - heard this song, went 'wow' and then....nothing. I was the same with Soundgarden. Like the component parts were better than the whole. I saw the Jesus Christ Pose film clip and thought I'd found my new fave band, but then I discovered they didn't actually have anything other than that one song that conveyed the same feel/attitude. Dull.

I think a lot of that period was the same. It was a ripe time for Rage, you could see a whole 7 hours of heavy music raging from sonic youth to pantera etc and it was all accepted (to some degree), but then after bands like Tad and The Mark of Cain stopped getting airplay and it was all AIC, Smashing Pumpkins etc it took on a different vibe (for me), and there was an unnecessary split of the guitar bands.

Lecterfan said:
I was the same with Soundgarden. Like the component parts were better than the whole. I saw the Jesus Christ Pose film clip and thought I'd found my new fave band, but then I discovered they didn't actually have anything other than that one song that conveyed the same feel/attitude. Dull.
You're not entirely wrong but Badmotorfinger had other moments as well. Jesus Christ Pose was definitely the highpoint (of the genre).

Lecterfan said:
I think a lot of that period was the same. It was a ripe time for Rage, you could see a whole 7 hours of heavy music raging from sonic youth to pantera etc and it was all accepted (to some degree), but then after bands like Tad and The Mark of Cain stopped getting airplay and it was all AIC, Smashing Pumpkins etc it took on a different vibe (for me), and there was an unnecessary split of the guitar bands.
I always preferred Saturday night to Friday night. Saturday night still hadn't changed much when I was last watching it with anything approaching regularity from when I was watching it in those days. You could still count on seeing Sabotage and Come To Daddy EVERY WEEK.

Lecterfan said:
Yea. As I said, I was much the same - heard this song, went 'wow' and then....nothing. I was the same with Soundgarden. Like the component parts were better than the whole. I saw the Jesus Christ Pose film clip and thought I'd found my new fave band, but then I discovered they didn't actually have anything other than that one song that conveyed the same feel/attitude. Dull.
That fat groove from Outshined was pretty good. I refuse to acknowledge anything they did after Superunknown.

bum said:
You're not entirely wrong but Badmotorfinger had other moments as well. Jesus Christ Pose was definitely the highpoint (of the genre).
Face Pollution and Room a Thousand Years Wide are great songs off that album.

Back