What are you brewing II ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget being mid strength means it will be gone in half the time. biggrin.gif
Too right!
Judging by the interest level after I mentioned I was brewing it - double batch next time B)

Brewed a fruity APA based on Tony's LCBA Clone on Friday. It smells fantastic at the moment, bubbling away happily.

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
45.5 2.50 kg. TF Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt UK 1.037 3
45.5 2.50 kg. Weyermann Pilsner Germany 1.038 2
9.1 0.50 kg. JWM Crystal 140 Australia 1.035 74

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
12.00 g. Cascade Plug 5.75 8.2 45 min.
10.00 g. Saaz B Whole 6.80 8.0 45 min.
15.00 g. Cascade Plug 5.75 3.9 20 min.
15.00 g. Saaz B Whole 6.80 4.5 20 min.
20.00 g. Cascade Plug 5.75 3.1 8 min.
20.00 g. Saaz B Whole 6.80 3.5 8 min.

Yeast
-----
WYeast 1272

and then today I had a spare afternoon so decided on a Summer Ale, seeing as the hot weather is continuing over here for some time yet. It's a hybrid Kolsch which should be refreshing!

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
50.1 2.57 kg. TF Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt UK 1.037 3
34.3 1.75 kg. Weyermann Pilsner Germany 1.038 2
15.6 0.80 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 2

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
14.00 g. Hallertau Pacific Whole 6.00 11.4 60 min.
14.00 g. Saaz B Whole 6.80 6.6 30 min.
14.00 g. Saaz B Whole 6.80 4.4 20 min.
14.00 g. Saaz B Whole 6.80 2.6 10 min.

Yeast
-----
WYeast 2565

About to brew a green tea lager - Can't find the old thread on it, so any advice welcomed.

Green Tea Rice Lager

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 26.00 L
Brewer: Ross
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 kg Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 54.55 %
1.50 kg Jasmin Rice (2.0 EBC) Grain 27.27 %
0.50 kg Vienna Malt (6.9 EBC) Grain 9.09 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 9.09 %
30.00 gm NZ Saaz B [8.10 %] (60 min) Hops 23.2 IBU
10.00 gm Cascade [6.70 %] (20 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
10.00 gm Cascade [6.00 %] (10 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
0.50 tsp Koppafloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
60.00 gm Green Tea (China) (Boil 0.0 min/steeped for 20 mins) Misc
2 x CraftBrewer Swiss Lager Yeast

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.20 %
Bitterness: 25.3 IBU Calories: 0 cal/l
Est Color: 6.0 EBC Color: Color
Mashed cool at 63c

cheers Ross

About to brew a green tea lager - Can't find the old thread on it, so any advice welcomed.

Yep, leave out the green tea Yech! and replace it with extra hops. :p

Warren -

G'day Sam, how's things?

Ringwood in an IPA? Not so sure. Going to have a few things to deal with... High FG, quite a bit of diacetyl (this yeast leaves quite a bit) and a "very" estery profile that's going to compete with your hops.

Probably be a little tempted in an English IPA. Maybe not American though. :)

Warren -

G'day

Things are good, back in Vancouver, riding my pushi in the snow again, after a trip back to Melbourne for the festive season. Caught up with John and Chris a few times in the shop, the conference sounds like its going to be a pretty big thing. Shame I'm not going to be there. Hopefully it becomes an annual do.

Yeah, I'll skip the ringwood this time. Apparently a heap of micros in Colorado use it extensively, I think it's an east coast thing as well.

Righty right.

sam

Following up from the Xmas case offering - changing 2 things.

B Saaz for the mash hop
35 IBU's instead of 45

Summer Pils
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 30/01/2008
Style: German Pilsner (Pils) Brewer: Roger Mellie
Batch Size: 23.00 L Assistant Brewer: Tom
Boil Volume: 33.33 L Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 % Equipment: Keg Kettle

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 84.9 %
0.40 kg Rice, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 7.5 %
0.30 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 5.7 %
0.10 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 1.9 %
30.00 gm B Saaz Mash Hop 6.0 IBU
22.50 gm D Saaz [6.70%] (60 min) Hops 17.0 IBU
22.50 gm D Saaz [6.70%] (15 min) Hops 8.4 IBU
22.50 gm D Saaz [6.70%] (5 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
22.50 gm D Saaz [6.70%] (60 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.00 tsp Table Salt (Boil 90.0 min) Misc
12.15 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafLager German Lager (DCL Yeast #S-189) Yeast-Lager

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.053 SG (1.044-1.050 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.051 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.014 SG (1.008-1.013 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.008 SG
Estimated Color: 7.1 EBC (3.9-9.9 EBC) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 34.8 IBU (25.0-45.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 1.8 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.1 % (4.4-5.2 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 5.6 %
Actual Calories: 472 cal/l

Ferment at 12 Deg C

Notes
Mash in with 15 Litres of 70 DegC water
Mash out with 8 Litres of 98 Deg C water
Sparge with 17 Litres of 85 Deg C Water

RM

Just mashing-in the first of two batches of hefe-weizen for the day.
Standard 50-50% grain bill.
Will use the Ross "banana method" in the first batch (sorry lonte) :)

Tomorrow I plan to brew a beer in tribute to the kinds of beers my grandfather brewed after WWII when beer supplies were rationed. I am "modernising" his process just a touch though! He used to boil up the wort in the wood-fired laundry copper! I will be using my usual boiler with "modern" 3-ring burner under it! He also used extract apparently, and I'll be using grain.

But in the spirit of those brews I have decided to use the most readily available Australian malt (JW Ale) and a commonly available English hop (Fuggles) that would have been around back in those days (it was a toss up between EKG and Fuggles but I thought I'd give old fuggles a run).

I'll use 100% JW Ale, but to get some colour and flavour I am going to vigorously boil the first runnings down to half their initial volume, and then sparge after that as per normal. For the hops I am going to measure out what a "hand full" of hops weighs and use that as my unit. So probably a hand full at the start of the boil and another hand full at the end. I am going to cheat a bit and check in Beer Smith what IBU that will give before I go ahead and do it.

Should be a really interesting brew, I'm really looking forward to trying it! I have named it "ANR", the initials of my grandfather.

Tomorrow I plan to brew a beer in tribute to the kinds of beers my grandfather brewed after WWII when beer supplies were rationed. I am "modernising" his process just a touch though! He used to boil up the wort in the wood-fired laundry copper! I will be using my usual boiler with "modern" 3-ring burner under it! He also used extract apparently, and I'll be using grain.

But in the spirit of those brews I have decided to use the most readily available Australian malt (JW Ale) and a commonly available English hop (Fuggles) that would have been around back in those days (it was a toss up between EKG and Fuggles but I thought I'd give old fuggles a run).

I'll use 100% JW Ale, but to get some colour and flavour I am going to vigorously boil the first runnings down to half their initial volume, and then sparge after that as per normal. For the hops I am going to measure out what a "hand full" of hops weighs and use that as my unit. So probably a hand full at the start of the boil and another hand full at the end. I am going to cheat a bit and check in Beer Smith what IBU that will give before I go ahead and do it.

Should be a really interesting brew, I'm really looking forward to trying it! I have named it "ANR", the initials of my grandfather.

Sounds great TD. I made a post WWII era brew a while back from an old family recipe of a friend. The recipe was basically 50% malt extract, 25% honey and 25% sugar. I get the impression that the malt extract was expensive in relation to the honey and sugar, so maybe some kettle sugars might make yours a bit more authentic?

Here's the old recipe I used as a base for my brew. It makes for an interesting read.

View attachment boydsbestbitter.pdf

Doing 50L of AnrewQLDs Cooper Pale Ale clone

something to fill the taps with easy drinking fluid.

Got a leave pass this morning and couldn't wait to get into the brewery. Knocked up this aussie ale.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: POR Aussie Ale II
Brewer: Tony Brown
Asst Brewer: Jess
Style: Australian Pale ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 24.00 L
Boil Size: 32.79 L
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 8.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 33.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.25 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 74.71 %
0.30 kg AA Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 6.90 %
0.15 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC) Grain 3.45 %
30.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [9.00 %] (60 min) Hops 29.4 IBU
12.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [9.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
0.65 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 EBC) Sugar 14.94 %
1 Pkgs US05 (Safale) [Starter 200 ml] Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 3.70 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 9.66 L of water at 74.7 C 64.0 C

I know the IBUs look a bit high for POR, but the previous one I did to 27 IBUs and comparing it to a coopers pale ale, it lacked a lot of bite. I think this one will be a lot closer.

cheers

Browndog

Finally finished cleaning up after brewing the double batch of weizen. It would have made a entertaining brew day demonstration of "Brewing outside in a tropical downpour 101". My sparky mate, who dropped in for a beer, was most amused <_<

Starting the boil on an Amarillo / Cascade Ale. Bittering with PoR at 60mins, then 15g of both Amarllo and Cascade at 20mins and another 30g of Amarillo @ 5mins.

Other than that, just 4.5kg of JW Ale and .5kg of wheat.

Hope she's got a nice summary type flavour and aroma!

Cheers - Mike

Sounds great TD. I made a post WWII era brew a while back from an old family recipe of a friend. The recipe was basically 50% malt extract, 25% honey and 25% sugar. I get the impression that the malt extract was expensive in relation to the honey and sugar, so maybe some kettle sugars might make yours a bit more authentic?

Here's the old recipe I used as a base for my brew. It makes for an interesting read.

View attachment 17513

Thanks for the recipe goatherder. Its fascinating looking at old recipes I reckon. Yep, bit of sugar probably would make it more authentic. I'll see what I have down in my stuff, might throw some in.

Just about to finalise the recipe and get things rolling. But first, I need a coffee! :D

I'm having a go at a Zwickel Pils today. First shot at a step mash.

100% IMC pils. Steps at 53, 63, 72 and 78. OG 1.048
NS at 60 and 15 to 35IBUs
Wyeast 2001

Here's hoping it will be good.

Just mashed in my first house beer today. Meant to do it last week but.. I was lazy.

20-22L batch

5kg Galaxy
Metric handful of Caramalt

25g B Saaz flowers FWH
25g B Saaz flowers 5 min

S-189 yeast

Currently mashing at 64C, bewdiful.

EDIT: Just got off the phone with my mate... he's bringing over some quality lamb sandwiches. The day can't get much better!

Well its my first AG since moving into our new house in December....what a f^%$^%kin nightmare trying to find all me bits n pieces!

Just pulled this one outta me arse as usual

4kg BB Pale
1kg Weyermann Pilsner
500gms Weyermann Caramunich 1

35 gms Cluster @ 60
15 gms Saaz @ 30, 15 and 0

Whirlfloc @ 15

Mashed at 64

Yeast: US05

Cheers
Steve

Very simple English brown ale this evening.

OG 1.046
22 IBU
42 EBC

92% JW trad ale
5% TF medium crystal
3% TF choc

Goldings bittering
0.5g/L Goldings @ flameout

Nottingham

And it looks like efficiency has bumped to 80% or so. Not sure I want an OG 1.053 brown ale, I'll have to mull it over a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back