What are you brewing II ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anything more satisfying than kicking back,doing your hop additions with a beer in hand?

Unless you miss the kettle when throwing your plugs in the kettle from the couch! :lol:

Oats will be interesting in a bitter. Looks the goods.

15 plugs @ 5?

guess that'd be ~ 180grams.. nice and hoppy :)

Oats will be interesting in a bitter. Looks the goods.

I've seen a few of the guys on here recommend the oats, they did give off a delicious biscuit smell when I took the out of the oven :icon_drool2:

Attempted my first double brew day yesterday. Done and dusted in 6 hours. Only added another 90 mins to my normal routine. Thought I'd keep things fairly simple:

Brew 1.
Freezer Dregs Pale Ale
2kg BB Galaxy
2kg BB Ale
1kg Weyermann Pale Wheat
assorted hops left in the freezer (170g all up), including US cascade, Tassie Cascade, Willamette, Hallertau, Hersbrucker, Nelson Sauvin, and Nugget. (actual recipe posted a few pages back I think)

Undershot my gravity a bit, and the hops sucked up an extra 3L of wort! Should be interesting none the less!

and then

Brew 2.
Summer Ale
3.5kg BB Galaxy
.5kg Weyermann Pale Wheat
and a handful (20g) of Nugget boiled for 60 mins.

Once again, undershot my gravity, but I think I'm not crushing either the wheat, or the Galaxy enough, as both are smaller than the ale. Oh well, got over 60% for each, and will make beer!

Both NC'ed and waiting for a spare fermenter, and a couple of yeast starters!

Rock on.

Cheers

15 plugs @ 5?

guess that'd be ~ 180grams.. nice and hoppy :)

:D

No, not going too nuts on this one, just the three plugs in all, thinking of putting a plug in the keg in my newly acquired hop ball (cheers ross!) Although Tony's english IIPA did look mouthwatering...

Did a brew during the week. The BVIP i love so much..
Problem was i tried a batch where i mad 36 litres post boil. Enough to fill a 15 and 20 litre jerry..
Let me tell you.
13 kg of grain does not go in a 36 litre mash tun with 20 litres of water....
The danger signs were there.
The crushed grain took up 2 1/2 buckets of 20 litre capacity, but it didn't twig.....
Dickhead. :rolleyes:
Ah well.. lost prob 200grams on the floor. Very thick mash. Took 4 sparges to get the required amount into the kettle, and then i couldn't boil it as hard as i wanted, so ended up with about 3 litres more than i wanted...
Ah well.

Got 50L of american wheat down and 50L of bitter, thing are looking up after a slow year so far.
As Zakk would say...OOOOooooAH YEeeeaaAAAAH!

ozzy_zakk.jpg

Did a brew during the week. The BVIP i love so much..
Problem was i tried a batch where i mad 36 litres post boil. Enough to fill a 15 and 20 litre jerry..
Let me tell you.
13 kg of grain does not go in a 36 litre mash tun with 20 litres of water....
The danger signs were there.
The crushed grain took up 2 1/2 buckets of 20 litre capacity, but it didn't twig.....
Dickhead. :rolleyes:
Ah well.. lost prob 200grams on the floor. Very thick mash. Took 4 sparges to get the required amount into the kettle, and then i couldn't boil it as hard as i wanted, so ended up with about 3 litres more than i wanted...
Ah well.

Jeez Fixa,
Is that stuck sparge city or what ? are you using a V8 powered march pump ? BTW I love that BVIP

cheers

Browndog

Getting up in a few hours to brew an English Brown Ale

4.1kg BB Ale
100g CaraRed
100g Choc
100g Med Crystal
100g Weyermann Pale Wheat

18g EKG @ 60
15g Fuggle @ 30
18g EKG @ 20
15g Fuggle @ 10

will ferment with Nottingham, which I've yet to try! (I know, I know!)

Should come out OK (I hope!).... Gotta love night shifts.... Have brewed three batches on weekdays this week, and the cubes are now all full, awaiting a free fermenter!

Cheers

Two brews done today now in cubes and a Saison starter ready.
Saison wort 1.060 which the 565 yeast will go nuts over and a Stout 1.058 [light for my stouts], have not done a stout in yonks, what yeast to feed to it? thinking 1084 or Nottingham, BUT I just happen to have a 2.4 L starter of Saison 565 and I don't need that much in the Saison <_< why not? We can do anything and make some funky beers. I brew for no one else but my taste :rolleyes: bugger the comps and style police :icon_cheers:

Saison wort 1.060 which the 565 yeast will go nuts over and a Stout 1.058 [light for my stouts], have not done a stout in yonks, what yeast to feed to it? thinking 1084 or Nottingham, BUT I just happen to have a 2.4 L starter of Saison 565 and I don't need that much in the Saison why not? We can do anything and make some funky beers. I brew for no one else but my taste bugger the comps and style police

You da man!! :beerbang: :beerbang:

That's gunna be one different stout. :wub:

Warren -

Saison wort 1.060 which the 565 yeast will go nuts over and a Stout 1.058 [light for my stouts], have not done a stout in yonks, what yeast to feed to it? thinking 1084 or Nottingham, BUT I just happen to have a 2.4 L starter of Saison 565 and I don't need that much in the Saison <_< why not? We can do anything and make some funky beers. I brew for no one else but my taste :rolleyes: bugger the comps and style police :icon_cheers:

Go for it Bindi, you're the King of Funk & your beers are a delight :super:

cheers Ross

Interesting. Sounds fun. Please tell us how it turns out. :icon_drunk:

45 % Rye Roggenbier planned for tomorrow B)
just been reading the Rye = Ergot = LSD thread, might up it to 60 % :lol:

Cheers

Mine was 40% rye and i never saw colours or wrote songs about purple haze and riders on the storm but it was nice and spicy :)

Was contemplating something similar Duff. I've got a packet of Southern Cross flowers that I've been wondering what do do with. :D

All the blurbs on this this hop say it can be used in similar applications to Euro Lager hops. We shall see.

Warren -

have had a pale ale made with Sothern Cross on tap for a few days now and had a few people try it. Its got nothin but thumbs up and i recon its great too. Very clean bittering hop with a fantastic character.

recipe is on the recipe page

cheers

Getting up in a few hours to brew an English Brown Ale

4.1kg BB Ale
100g CaraRed
100g Choc
100g Med Crystal
100g Weyermann Pale Wheat

18g EKG @ 60
15g Fuggle @ 30
18g EKG @ 20
15g Fuggle @ 10

will ferment with Nottingham, which I've yet to try! (I know, I know!)

Should come out OK (I hope!).... Gotta love night shifts.... Have brewed three batches on weekdays this week, and the cubes are now all full, awaiting a free fermenter!

Cheers

Geez Nick,

You've been a busy little brewer since the bulk buy grain arrived - brew, brew :D

Go for it Bindi, you're the King of Funk & your beers are a delight :super:

cheers Ross

Thanks Ross, I must admit the Yanky Amber I fed to my morphed 3787 Trappist that I put on tap today is "out there" and "wow"! I am loving it, the taste and smell is amazing. :p

Geez Nick,

You've been a busy little brewer since the bulk buy grain arrived - brew, brew :D

lol, tell me about it! It's the combination of lots of night shifts, an excess stock of old hops and specialty grains, and nearly two months off from brewing that's done it! (oh, and a couple of smack-packs that are near use-by date...)

At least my cubes are all full now, and I squeezed in a 1 hour nap this morning while I was mashing ;) I plan to keep the cubes full as long as possible, and get on the hunt for some more bottles...or maybe just save up some cash for a fridge and some kegs :) (as unlikely as spare cash is!)

Plus I've got to decide on a recipe for the Xmas swap!

Happy Days!

Cheers

Mine was 40% rye and i never saw colours or wrote songs about purple haze and riders on the storm but it was nice and spicy :)
have had a pale ale made with Sothern Cross on tap for a few days now and had a few people try it. Its got nothin but thumbs up and i recon its great too. Very clean bittering hop with a fantastic character.

recipe is on the recipe page

cheers

Just checked it Tony. Looks the goods. :beer:

Thanks... Might give it a burl.

Edit: That false bottom you set up in your kettle is obviously doing the job. :lol:

Warren -

Sparging an Aussie version of Denny Conn's RyeIPA right now.
I think this is the first time I've done it with his hopping schedule. The Mt Hood FWH's smell great.

Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back