What are you brewing II ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like the same bug i get mate.

leaves the beer with a slick thin kind of feel and masks the hops and malt.

Doesnt taste bad.......... juts not as it should.

I have lost my last couple to this one after a great run of clean beers.

I have all my fermenters rinsed out and waiting for cooler weather next week to bomb with bleach.

cheers

I think i've been having this problem too. Beer has no taste whatsoever to begin (masked hops and malt), then slowly develops a gushing infection..... Anyone know what it is???? I've reverted to using my glass carboy for a primary as I can't avoid this problem with the plastic primary (will see how it goes). It seems this bug is getting more common but is not documented anywhere. I've even detected it in some commericial microbrewed beers.

I was planning to brew a BoPils this month, but I don't have access to tank water until it rains again.
So, this is what's now on the menu, planned for this Friday. Will build the WY1469 starter from Wednesday.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Browned Off Ale
Brewer: Robert
Asst Brewer: Elsie the Pug
Style: Northern English Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 30.54 L
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 34.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 29.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4170.00 gm Pale Ale (5.9 EBC) Grain 83.40 %
300.00 gm Crystal Medium (145.0 EBC) Grain 6.00 %
200.00 gm Wheat (4.0 EBC) Grain 4.00 %
100.00 gm Amber (100.0 EBC) Grain 2.00 %
100.00 gm Carared (43.0 EBC) Grain 2.00 %
80.00 gm Chocolate (1200.0 EBC) Grain 1.60 %
50.00 gm Caraaroma (390.0 EBC) Grain 1.00 %
20.00 gm Northern Brewer [6.60 %] (60 min) Hops 14.3 IBU
35.00 gm First Gold [7.90 %] (15 min) Hops 14.9 IBU
25.00 gm First Gold [7.90 %] (0 min) Hops -
5.00 gm Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #WY1469) 2.5 litre starter

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge

I'm brewing a Porter this week when my grains arrive from Craftbrewer.

Unless someone pipes up with a must-do Porter ;) recipe for me I will just pick one from the DB and give it a go.

Cheers,
Jake

so do I...using in an American Brown tomorrow.

[ ....recipe....]

Cheers ross

And the BABBs mini comp for March just happens to be American (pale, amber, brown). Hmmmm. Great to hear your'e brewing but.
Dont' worry I'm going to do the amber so you should have a clear run on the brown with that recipe :p

Currently four days into the fermentation of my second Yorkshire Bitter.

No Beersmith but:

5 kg Maris Otter floor malted
200g medium crystal
300g dark crystal (looking for a darker John Smith style this brew)

67 degrees

30g Fuggles and one plug EKG 60 mins
20g EKG pellets 20 mins
dry hop 20g EKG pellets

300g dex as common UK commercial practice

WYeast West Yorkshire 1469

This yeast is a very unique beast, it's bred for use in the stone square system and you have to go in every day or so and rouse and beat the crap out of it (loves it!)

5 kg Maris Otter floor malted
200g medium crystal
300g dark crystal (looking for a darker John Smith style this brew)

67 degrees

30g Fuggles and one plug EKG 60 mins
20g EKG pellets 20 mins
dry hop 20g EKG pellets

300g dex as common UK commercial practice

WYeast West Yorkshire 1469

This yeast is a very unique beast, it's bred for use in the stone square system and you have to go in every day or so and rouse and beat the crap out of it (loves it!)

Bribie,

That seems a lot of crystal? Do you mean you are using 300g Dark Crystal rather than the 200g of medium? :unsure:

TP

I was planning to brew a BoPils this month, but I don't have access to tank water until it rains again.
So, this is what's now on the menu, planned for this Friday. Will build the WY1469 starter from Wednesday.

Recipe: Browned Off Ale

Warra, I'm a Geordie myself and have been wanting to try a Newcastle Brown lookalike for ages, and discovered that since the 1920s they have used Northdown hops and also, surprise surprise, import Hallertau Hops from Germany.

Hallertau
Northdown
Northern Brewer
Target

I expect they had to ditch the Hallertau during the recent stoush with Herr Hitler but all friends again now :rolleyes:

I'd love to hear how the Yorkie yeast goes in it. Newcastle beer was always very attached to Scottish Brewing traditions but I've got some 1469 breeding up nicely at the moment and would certainly give it a go myself ( Brisbane club mini comp in May is Northern style brown so I'm keen to hear how you go)

Cheers
Michael

PS stayed at Port last week for 2 nights, very impressed. Nice Squire on tap at the Town Common (?) pub and sank numerous porters.

Bribie,

That seems a lot of crystal? Do you mean you are using 300g Dark Crystal rather than the 200g of medium? :unsure:

TP

I'll confess that I was going to use 200 and 200 but the bag had 300 of dark left in it so I thought "what the hell :p "

My first Yorkie was 200 medium and 100 dark and came out this colour:

AG_one.JPG

I'm looking more for a John Smith colour that is copper coloured, for example a bit darker than a Kilkenny. Yes I was a bit apprehensive that the crystal flavour would be obtrusive but had a sneaky taste of the wort while dry hopping and rousing and it's not Over the top at the moment. Bloody delicious in fact :icon_cheers:

Have you ever used the 1469 ? It's a great ale yeast but need special treatment. I'm going to rouse my present brew every day for five days, sort of like they do in the Yorkshire Square system in the UK where they mix the top cropping yeast with some wort and blend it back into the fermenter several times during fermentation. The beer turns out like liquid silk.

I'll confess that I was going to use 200 and 200 but the bag had 300 of dark left in it so I thought "what the hell :p "

My first Yorkie was 200 medium and 100 dark and came out this colour:

View attachment 24649

I'm looking more for a John Smith colour that is copper coloured, for example a bit darker than a Kilkenny. Yes I was a bit apprehensive that the crystal flavour would be obtrusive but had a sneaky taste of the wort while dry hopping and rousing and it's not Over the top at the moment. Bloody delicious in fact :icon_cheers:

Have you ever used the 1469 ? It's a great ale yeast but need special treatment. I'm going to rouse my present brew every day for five days, sort of like they do in the Yorkshire Square system in the UK where they mix the top cropping yeast with some wort and blend it back into the fermenter several times during fermentation. The beer turns out like liquid silk.

Never used the 1469 yet Bribie but should have some in my hot little hands any day now & plan to make my first Yorkshire Bitter very soon.
Thanks for the tip re the yeast rousing. :icon_cheers:

Our current batch of Bairds Pale Chocolate is 800 EBC, so yes, it's right at the top of its colour range at present.

Cheers Ross

That would explain my current batches colour. I calculated on 500 EBC.
This is my second attempt at this beer. Maybe by the third crack I'll get it right.

Doc

BribieG,

Just done my first bitter with WY1469 & i reckon it's my best ever (interested in your opinion at next brew meet if I have any left - lol). Didn't need any special attention other than my usual approach of warming as fermentation ends. Attenuated well & dropped beautifully bright.

cheers Ross

My first use of fruit in beer. Always been hesitant to try it since 4 ingredients makes an awesome drink on its own, but got given crap loads of cherries after christmas and froze them to do this.

ProMash Recipe Printout

Recipe : Cherry Porter

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

15-B Porter, Brown Porter

Min OG: 1.040 Max OG: 1.050
Min IBU: 20 Max IBU: 30
Min Clr: 20 Max Clr: 35 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (LTR): 40.00 Wort Size (LTR): 40.00
Total Grain (kg): 9.44
Anticipated OG: 1.055 Plato: 13.51
Anticipated SRM: 20.4
Anticipated IBU: 24.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
77.3 7.30 kg. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
6.4 0.60 kg. CaraMunich 40 France 1.034 40
5.3 0.50 kg. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
3.2 0.30 kg. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
5.3 0.50 kg. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
2.1 0.20 kg. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
0.4 0.04 kg. Carafa Special Germany 1.030 600
0.7kg Cherries (boiled, then strained the juice made up to 2L and reboiled and thown in with 5Mins remaining. no infections here I hope. Everything was hot for a long time.

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
40.00 g. Styrian Goldings Pellet 5.90 18.9 60 min.
50.00 g. Fuggle Pellet 5.00 5.4 15 min.

Yeast
-----
Muntons

edit = forgot to put cherries in the recipe

BribieG,

Just done my first bitter with WY1469 & i reckon it's my best ever (interested in your opinion at next brew meet if I have any left - lol). Didn't need any special attention other than my usual approach of warming as fermentation ends. Attenuated well & dropped beautifully bright.

cheers Ross

My current 1469 should be about drinkable at next BABBs so we can have a slurp. My first AG was a 1469 that I took to the last meeting. I had just 'winged' it whilst gazed in amazement at the rocky popcorn head in the fermenter and thought "when the f%^$k is this going to stop fermenting?, but this second brew is the first one I am bashing the shyte out of and trying to emulate the stone square system so it will be an interestng tasting session :icon_cheers:

I used WY1469 on a Hobgoblin inspired ale brewed on 15/1/09.
It certainly produces a very dense top cropping kraeusen. It ran well for about 3 days, when I had to give a good rousing, and it took off again at a run.
I had to rack it on 24/1/09, as I was going to NZ for a family wedding, and didn't want to leave it sitting on the yeast while I was away.
It attenuated extremely well, from 1.059 to 1.010 by the time I racked it for CCing.
I bottled it on 7/2/09. Didn't take a sample, and didn't taste it, but the aroma was great.

I'll give you a run down on the Brown when it's all done. My planned brew is a copy of one I did on 5/9/08 with Nottingham. It's a good drink but has a tad too obvious bitterness from the chocolate and amber, so I've upped the crystal a touch, which I think will balance it better. WY1469 should add its own special character (I hope).

My current 1469 should be about drinkable at next BABBs so we can have a slurp. My first AG was a 1469 that I took to the last meeting. I had just 'winged' it whilst gazed in amazement at the rocky popcorn head in the fermenter and thought "when the f%^$k is this going to stop fermenting?, but this second brew is the first one I am bashing the shyte out of and trying to emulate the stone square system so it will be an interestng tasting session :icon_cheers:

I'll be bringing mine along too for your feedback. Having a pint right now actually :D

I didn't rouse mine at all it just did it's thing.

I'll be bringing mine along too for your feedback. Having a pint right now actually :D

I didn't rouse mine at all it just did it's thing.

Yup we were talking about that, it should be an interesting taste off! Will have to talk in Yorkshire accent: "ey up by gum, sethee I tell you nay, that's a grand Yorkshire Bitter Grommitt . :super: "

Dirty kits & bits Dutch lager. Stock filler while I wait for my AG kettle...all the while staring temptuously at my sack of JW Traditional Ale.

Coopers Lager,
700g LDME/300g Dex,
150g Munich,
20g Tettnang @ 15min.

Planning on 10g Tettnang dry in secondary, and fermenting with W-34/70 once its ice-bath cools it to a nice 18'C pitching temp.

Just dawned on me that this may be my last kit-based brew. Not sure how I feel about that...

Cheers all - boingk

EDIT: Woo, 700th post!

Just dawned on me that this may be my last kit-based brew. Not sure how I feel about that...

Cheers all - boingk

EDIT: Woo, 700th post!

Nothing wrong with a kit as a base goop if it makes a beer you enjoy. I now do all grain UK bitters but also enjoy an Australian lager and find that a can of coopers lager plus a partial mash plus some dex plus some light hop additons plus a better yeast makes something just as good as a Melbourne Bitter or a XXXX depending on the hops. Sinking a pint right now.
I actually make a full AG mash brew with a pilsener malt, hop it heavily and cube it between four 5L jerry cans from Bunnings, so I can do an 'instant' partial with tin, dex and the jerrycan of wort. A brew that can be assembled in 15 mins that is fairly equivalent to an Oz brew from the bottleshop as a good quaffing or lawnmower lager.

Horses for courses.

First APA since September

Recipe: #49 AG36 APA
Brewer: kram
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
Taste: (-50.0)

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 22.50 L
Boil Size: 29.80 L
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 13.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 33.2 IBU
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
4.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC) Grain 80.81 %
0.30 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 6.06 %
0.25 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 5.05 %
0.25 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 5.05 %
0.15 kg Caramunich III (Weyermann) (139.9 EBC) Grain 3.03 %
15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [10.30 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
15.00 gm B Saaz [8.20 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
12.20 gm Amarillo Gold [10.30 %] (40 min) Hops 11.9 IBU
12.10 gm B Saaz [8.20 %] (40 min) Hops 9.4 IBU
12.00 gm Amarillo Gold [10.30 %] (10 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
12.00 gm B Saaz [8.20 %] (10 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
10.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
1 Pkgs US-56 Yeast-Ale

First APA since September

Recipe: #49 AG36 APA
Brewer: kram
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
Taste: (-50.0)

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 22.50 L
Boil Size: 29.80 L
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 13.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 33.2 IBU
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
4.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC) Grain 80.81 %
0.30 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 6.06 %
0.25 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 5.05 %
0.25 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 5.05 %
0.15 kg Caramunich III (Weyermann) (139.9 EBC) Grain 3.03 %
15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [10.30 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
15.00 gm B Saaz [8.20 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
12.20 gm Amarillo Gold [10.30 %] (40 min) Hops 11.9 IBU
12.10 gm B Saaz [8.20 %] (40 min) Hops 9.4 IBU
12.00 gm Amarillo Gold [10.30 %] (10 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
12.00 gm B Saaz [8.20 %] (10 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
10.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
1 Pkgs US-56 Yeast-Ale

Shit Kram I like that hop combo, looks tasty! :) Let us know how it turns out..

Woops.... in converting this one, I forgot to halve the hop amounts for a single batch... Even I was wondering don't worry. Rule number 1, don't convert recipes after a 4 pack of La Trappe Quadrupel... :blink:

Should look like this;

Pliny the Elder clone

Size: 23 L
Efficiency: 75.0%

OG: 1.079
FG: 1.016
Abv: 8.31%
Bitterness: stupid

5.75 kg IMC Ale
0.50 kg Wheat Malt
0.50 kg Carapils
0.25 kg Light Crystal
800g Dextrose

Single step infusion @ 66C

40g Chinook 13.0% AA FWH
75g Warrior 15.5% AA 90 min
13g Chinook 13.0% AA 90 min
28g Columbus 15.0% AA 30 min
28g Simcoe 13.0% AA 30min
65g Centennial 10.5% AA 0 min
28g Simcoe 13.0% AA 0 min

Whirlfloc @ 10 min

2L starter of White Labs WLP001 California Ale

95g Columbus 15.0% AA added to secondary
55g Centennial 10.0% AA added to secondary
50g Simcoe 13.0% AA added to secondary

Bottled this one tonight. Its, ummmm.........

Hoppy!

but bloody lick your lips yum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back