What are these

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAD

Reaction score
Was milling my grain and i saw these things moving around the bucket there were quite a few. Can i still brew with this grain

20150523_150120.jpg

Look like weevils. Might pop up every now and then but fresh, just bought, more than three at a time would see me contacting the vendor for a replacement.

These little bastards must of been plagueing brewers for centuries. I wonder what flavours they would bring to a brew in a large infestation, possible haze due to the added protein? Probably lots of beers have had the odd "hint of weavil" and unless you know...?

Do you recon i can still brew with them in the mash?

I had weevils in my acidulated malt for a while, I tried gassing them with co2 but they persisted. So they went through the mill, into the mash and got removed when I lifted the grain bag.

I eventually threw the acid malt out when the beetles out numbered the grains. :ph34r:

I bought some aromatic and special b at the same time (500g of each) and after using about half of each put them in the sealed bucket I put all my specialty malts in, along with the other 6 or so varieties in there. 3 weeks later I had a dive in there to see what was in stock and found a couple of weevils.

I Took everything out and investigated and found the aromatic was infested (dozens of visible weevils). Had a couple in a few of the other bags but only 2 or 3. I tossed the aromatic then shoved the C02 line into the bottom of the re-stocked bucket and let rip for a minute on really low pressure. Repeated this about 4 times over the next couple of days and next time I checked there was no activity. 5 weeks later still none so it seems that this did the trick.

Just be careful if you try this though, CO2 can be dangerous, only do it in a well ventilated area and don't breathe deeply near venting CO2.

Oh, and I used the malt with a couple of weevils in it with no problems (maybe just a little extra protein :))

Thanks for the info got the brew done will see how it goes

Some bugs have really pungent? is that the word? Very powerful smells and urgh wouldn't want to know the flavor.
Paranoid after clearing earwigs or whatever out of the tap and other nooks and crannies of the Keggle.
Come to think of it they may have been that off flavor that I got in that #? brew.

Probably better to grind one in a Morter and Pestle with a bit of your beer then add to your next glass.

I like the blue ones, 'so piquant'

Thinks i will call this one weevil wiesen after all it is a wheat beer

Of course you can brew with them. Yeast nutrient. And the mash and boil will zap any bacteria they have.

Interestingly I learnt a while ago that in the UK, Indian immigrants who happen to be vegetarian (because they're Buddhists or Jains or whatever) suffer from nutritional problems that they never would suffer back in the old country. Why? Food in the UK is too clean; little critters like weevils and pantry moths never get into their flour, etc. They would inadvertently get their protein from these tiny little bugs that crept into their food....!

While we're on the subject of insects, do ants get into malt? I have no experience of this.

I have always been a bit surprised that critters take little to no interest in my malt supply. We have issues with pantry moths in the kitchen, the odd mouse getting at the dog food, and the little ants that seem to materialize out of nowhere when you spill something sweet on your bench tops, but my virtually unguarded malt supply never seems to cop a raid.

Weird.

Back