Weyermann Malts = Dr Pepper?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kymba

what?
Reaction score
i made a 100% vienna (weyermann) ale, and it has a taste of dr pepper in there - i have no other way to describe it - apart from 'fark i hate this shit'!

thing is, i have noticed this in other recipes where i have used wey munich, and have tasted this flavour from a commercial beer - cricketers arms pale ale

has a feint aroma of the dr pepper, then a mouthful reveals a significant amount of this dr pepper

is this how munich/vienna is supposed to taste? i thought vienna = biscuit. oh and i decocted 1/3 grainz for a mashout

at least i'm getting pissed off it though, so not a total loss

I have never notcied dr.pepper when using wey malts.

Dr. Pepper is very phenolic. Tastes like kids' medicine to me.

i have never had a dr. pepper flavor when using wey malts, however i have a keg that had dr. pepper in it and it took a couple of cleanings and replacment of all the soft bits to get rid of the smell.

What yeast did you use in this brew?

yeah that kids medicine description is spot on...will research the phenolic thing further

used 7g s04 + 5g maurivin 514 at 17 degrees, both rehydrated at 28 degrees for 15 minutes

i'm going to chuck it through the filter and see if that helps any

i filtered this and chucked 30g of galaxy in the filter. the pellets basically sat there at the bottom and did sfa. i would recommend hydrating them before putting them in the filter

i proceeded to smash half the a keg in a day while the "taste-i-can't-stand" was subdued behind the dry hops...but after a week the hops had disappeared and the shitmouth had returned. the rest was tipped down the sewer where it belonged

i filtered this and chucked 30g of galaxy in the filter. the pellets basically sat there at the bottom and did sfa. i would recommend hydrating them before putting them in the filter

i proceeded to smash half the a keg in a day while the "taste-i-can't-stand" was subdued behind the dry hops...but after a week the hops had disappeared and the shitmouth had returned. the rest was tipped down the sewer where it belonged

"Dr pepper" is that sort of cherry cough medicine flavour, no?

Can't help, just trying to further expand on the "tasting notes"

yep cherry cough fo sho

funny though, 4 other ppl i gave it to couldn't taste what i was describing and said it was pretty much a good beer

maybe i'm one of those beer savants lol

i have 4 bottles that i might enter into comps for feedback as to what that taste is

I have noticed what might be a similar thing with wey munich and possibly the vienna.
A couple of brews I have used it in have a slick sweetness that could be described as Dr Pepper
that only shows in the very back of the mouth, if your slamming it down
you dont really notice it but if your taking a little time and tasting the beer then its definetly there,
would agree that its not a particularly nice taste and most swill ddrinkers probably wouldnt notice it.
I have noticed similar in commercial beers but off the top of my head couldnt tell you which ones.

Back