Western Australians - Please Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotsdalebrewery

Reaction score
G'day Sandgropers,

I am planning a trip to WA in August or perhaps late this month.

I want to fit in about 3 or 4 micros into the trip.

A bit of research has come up with a few breweries but I am still undecided.

I plan to go to the Magaret River Region so perhaps some suggestions along the lines of 2 from suburban Perth and 2 from MR region.

Cheers!

Perth - little creatures (fremantle) and Sail and anchor (fremantle) are great and probably the easiest to find for travellors. Feral brewery is a good stop if you make it out to the swan valley (30min east of city) and there are a bunch of others there too.

MR - Colonial and Bootleg come to mind first.

I've done bootleg and little creatures on my visits to WA. Both have some really great beers and food.

vl.

Strong recomendation for Little Creatures. Bootleg in MR has a delicious Raging Bull Porter that I would rate as one of my faves :chug:
I don't like slagging places but Wicked in MR didn't spin my wheels so much. <_<

me neither. i think its more of a novelty than a brewery.

Thanks Guys,

I have heard alot of good things about WA, so I cant wait to go there!

A word of warning though, if you're in Margaret River during school holidays i'd plan on getting to Bootleg pretty early in the day - the place is pretty darn popular :beerbang:

Chatty

There are 5 micros in the swan valley (i'm trying to get out there as I've only been to Feral).
The old swan brewery is an excellent place as well. Some of the beers are quite good but the ambience is supurb, excellent place to take your partner as well.
A word of warning though, if you're in Margaret River during school holidays i'd plan on getting to Bootleg pretty early in the day - the place is pretty darn popular :beerbang:

Chatty

In the swan valley there is:
Mash Brewery - not fully liscenced yet but should be by then.
Feral - The best, make sure you try the imperial IPA
Duckstein - german beers and food. beers arent the best, just home brew standard
Elmars - couple of good beers and a gourmet deli thing
Iron bark?? - never been there but its there some where.
Oakover - a winery that also has a small micro with ok beers.

Ash's comments on the Swan Valley sound right to me. Last Drop brewery (various locations) are making great beer now that they have a good brewer (something in that for Elmar's). Down MR way, Bootleg are still powering along and the comment about school holidays is spot on. Ditto at Colonial, we seem to be getting more and more busy, especially weekends. If you plan to get along to Colonial, be sure to send me a PM so that I can set aside time for the Royal Tour.

Best thing to do for the Bootleg is to book a table. When they are full they only let poeple in with bookings.
There is loads of room though, so dont worry even when its full its not packed, and try the pie, made with raging bull sauce :D ......in fact time i went for a visit.

As recommended by everyone else, LC and the Sail and Anchor in freo. Nothing quite like a little creatues pale ale served straight from the bright beer tanks. If you get a chance to go on a weekday you can see them brewing, you can see/smell the wort being drained off through the hopback, what a fantastic smell.

The sail and anchor normally have two beers on handpump as well, so definelty worth a try.

:beer:

There is a new brewery opening up in Cowaramup (just near Margaret River), not sure how its plans are coming along. On a recent westcoast brewers trip we met the owners, they are growing their own hops to use as well, should be another good one to check out soon.

Just to throw my hat in the ring. Was down M/River way back towards the end of Janurary. Only vistsed Colonial and Bootleg, ran out of time to visit the others. The little Taste Paddle that you get at Colonial is a fantastic idea, they really need the same at the Bootleg (or anywhere for that matter) and LOVED the Kolsch. If you're staying in M?river township, pretty sure Colonial does a (free ?) shuttle bus to the brewery/pub. By the time I got to the Bootleg, it was packed out, they couldn't tell you how long for a table but if you did have a table you'd be waiting better than 45 minutes for food :huh: If it's that busy, you reckon they'd put out extra tables for the holiday season or something like that. So not impressed with the service and to be brutally honest not impressed with the beer much either, it was beer but that's bout all I'd say about it. Seem to think they're living off the reputation of being the best known. I don't know, maybe my experience was jaded, hoping to get back down here and test the theory :D

Bootleg did have it easy for a long time, but all credit to Mick and Bear, they're turning out some great beers these days. The Cowarramup brewery is not yet open (December I think) and within the year there should be another two breweries in the area which will hopefully make the South West as much a craft-brewery destination as the Swan Valley. Bring it on!

I'm still chipping away getting the beers at Colonial up to the level that I want and I'm confident that anyone that hasn't been along for a while will notice the effort that's been made. And next year, we'll start building a few more. Good stuff.

Dean

I havent been down to colonial for a long time. Im looking forward to my next chance to get down there and try the brews!

i'm hopefully heading down to margarets for the next long weekend and will definitely be visiting the colonial. in my opinion, the beers (pistol whip & dr quick in particular) are fantastic. will be good to see how things have progressed in the 18 months since i was last there. have been a big fan of the bootleg since about 97/98 and the sou'west wheat & raging bull arelong time favourites.

went to feral today and tried the belgian white. pretty underwhelmed by it, fairly nice aroma but lacking in substance, a bit thin for my liking, but then again the place was packed so they must be doing something right!

also ,slightly off-topic, went to roy's demo at TWOC in bibra lake today. tired a few of his previous brews (bitter, weizen & another weizen). bloody ripper beers, very nice indeed....

Trying a couple of roys beers got me AGing in the first place. Havent tried any from his new setup yet.

www.microbrewing.com.au

WESTERN AUSTRALIA micros location, brewery number and website address

Blackwood Valley Brewing Company
43 Gifford Road
Bridgetown, 6255.
Phone: 08 9761 2204
Fax: 08 9761 2294
W: www.thecidery.com.au

Bootleg Brewery
Pusey Road, Willyabrup
Margaret River, 6285
Western Australia
Ph: (08) 9755 6300
Fax: (08) 9755 6318
Web: www.bootlegbrewery.com.au

Bug Ocean Brewing Company
(no relation to Ocean Brewing Yeast suppliers)
PO Box 1094
Margaret River 6285
4-17 Minchin Way
Margaret River
Ph: 9758 7277
Fax: 9758 7885
Web: www.bugocean.com

Black Stump Brewery (Closed down)

Colonial Brewing Company
RMB 265A Osmington Road
Margaret River 6285
Ph: (08) 9757 2781
Mb 0413 941 911

Cowaramup Brewing Company (starting October)
32 Jarrah Road
East Victoria Park
WA 6101

Duckstein (also starting in south west)
Lot 9720, West Swan Road
Henley Brook, 6055
Western Australia
Ph: (08) 9296 0620
Fax: (08) 9296 0820
Web: www.duckstein.com.au

ELMARS IN THE VALLEY
8731 West Swan Road,
Henley Brook,
WA 6055
Tel: (08) 9296 6354
Fax: (08) 9296 4144
Web: http://www.elmars.com.au

FERAL BREWING COMPANY
152 Haddrill Rd
Baskerville 6056
Web: www.feralbrewing.com.au

Gage Roads Brewing Company
PO Box 2024
Palmyra 6961
Web: www.gageroads.com.au

Ironbark Brewing Australia
55 Benara Rd Caversham 6055
9377 4400

Inchant Brewing Company (Closed)
105 Swan Street, Guildford, 6055
Western Australia
Web: www.bullantbeer.com

Jarrah Jacks Brewing Company (2005)
Pemberton Brewing Company P/L
PO Box 417
Pemberton WA 6260
t: +61 (0)8 9776 9645
f: +61 (0)8 9776 1434
E: [email protected]

Mash Brewery (2006)
Swan Valley

Last Drop Brewery
Jan Bruckner
25 Canns Rd
Bedfordale 6112
Western Australia
Ph: (08) 9498 0960

Little Creatures Brewing Company
40 Mews Road
Fremantle, 6160
Ph: (08) 9430 5155
Fax: (08) 9430 5640
E-mail:[email protected]
Web: www.littlecreatures.com.au

Matsos - Broome Brewery
PO Box 2753
Broome, 6725
Western Australia
Ph: (08) 919 35811

mailto:[email protected]
Sales & Marketing Manager: Justin Wiebrecht
Phone (08) 9193 7888
Fax (08) 9193 7999
Freecall 1800 818 878
[email protected]

Nail Brewing Australia (relocating) Since March 23, 2000.
Presently relocating
Western Australia
Postal: PO Box 610, Applecross W.A. 6153
E: [email protected]
Web: www.nailbrewing.com also Nail World Tipping Championship: www.nwtc.com.au

Sail & Anchor
64 South Tce
Fremantle, 6160.
Ph: (08)9335 8433
E-mail: sail&[email protected]

Tanglehead Brewing Company (2006)
Albany White Star Hotel