Weizen, 3068 Or 3638

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balconybrewer

Reaction score
hi all,

i have split a 50:50 wheat / pills batch with the two but just waiting for them to carb up so i can do side by sides,

what is everyone elses experience, when bottling the banana from the 3068 was so strong.

cheers

I prefer 3068, fermented cool.

Prefer clove to banana.

Hi ryanmoore184,

I'm keen to hear your thoughts comparing the two.
I've only tried 3068 (great banana and clove), though heard good things about the 3638 (apples, cloves and bubble-gum supposedly).
Just out of interest, did you use Weyermann malts, and did you use an acid rest?

I have done both -

IMHO if you are going to want to enter it in a comp - use 3068 - fits the guidelines better.
But 3638 is also a good yeast.

3068 at 17 degrees creates a much more subtle ester profile. You will need a blow off tube if you don't have an acre of headspace. 3068 is a very active fermenter.

cheers

grant

weyerman pilsner and bb wheat. no rests, just a single infusion, looking forward to the results

any other opinions?????

cheers

I have the same grain bill, all Weyermann. I am going to do three wheats using, WLP300,WLP351 and Danstar Munich dry yeast. I have never tried any of them them before. So will be interesting ??. :icon_offtopic: ... which would be better to rack onto a kilo of rasberries ? Or..how long is a piece of string... :unsure:

I have the same grain bill, all Weyermann. I am going to do three wheats using, WLP300,WLP351 and Danstar Munich dry yeast. I have never tried any of them them before. So will be interesting ??. :icon_offtopic: ... which would be better to rack onto a kilo of rasberries ? Or..how long is a piece of string... :unsure:

Interesting experiment. Let us know how they turn out. And do half of each batch onto the fruit. That way you'll know which is the best and can tell us. :rolleyes: :icon_cheers:

I have only used the dry yeasts until recently.
Last weekend I bottled a hefe fermented with 3068. I'm waiting for it to carb up properly. You are welcome to sample it in about a weeks time.
I'm now CCing the dunkelweizenbock brewed on the day you visited. I dumped that on the yeast cake of the hefe. It went nuts, and it was crawling out of the fermenter like a king snake within only a few hours.
I'll pm you next week.

I have used 3068 and the WLP300. The were done on the same brew but not side by side.

No difference that I could tell.

I have fermented the WLP300 at 16C, 20C and 22C. I found the beer fermented at 16C still had a nice balance of banana and clove with a softer more balanced profile than the beers fermented warmer.

Kabooby :)

3068 at 17 degrees creates a much more subtle ester profile. You will need a blow off tube if you don't have an acre of headspace. 3068 is a very active fermenter.

cheers

grant

I agree i have one going into secondry today and ive had two blow outs while in primary

have just done a side by side (i know its early but they are fully carbed) and they are so similar yet so different.

3068 - big aroma, massive notes of old bananas, some clove, has given off a little malt flavour but it is somewhat taken over by the yeast flavours and aromas

3638 - slight banana, bubblegum / caramel aroma, caramel / bubblegum and malty flavour, tastes a bit more balanced, and alot more sessionable than the 3068.

here is the recipe i used for the side by side, (i know you hefe gurus will be onto me but i also did it with 3944 which i have done before and loved and made 10lts of it and 5lts of the other 2)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 31.41 L
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 6.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 16.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU