Weird Ag Recipe I Created

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boriskane

Reaction score
hey everyone, ive posted a couple questions for this on the 20l biab thread but i thought id update it to see what others have for advice and stuff.

this is only my 6th or 7th AG batch, so please bear with my lack of knowledge and experience. i had all these leftovers and just wanted to throw em together to make a strong beer to see what i would get.

so i put down this (probably stupid) batch around 12 days ago from today:

Batch Size: 16L

4kg Pilsner
0.6kg Munich 2
0.5kg Caramel
0.4kg Munich 1
0.35kg Biscuit
0.25kg Wheat

500ml Homemade Belgian Candi/Caramel Syrup on Day 9

30g EKG @60
15g EKG @20
20g Galaxy @15
15g EKG @1

OG: 1.070
FG: ?

Deliverance Ale Yeast (lhbs) (Stated tolerance of up to 11.5%abv)

So what I need some help is just with what kind of FG im expecting with this? ive hit 1.020 by day 12 (today). should i give the primary a bit of a shake to wake up the yeast to kick on for the last 5+ or so points?

thanks in advance!

Mash temp ?
1020 is where most beers stick in my experince though. I personally wouldn't have used Roy's ale yeast, but 'spose it should have been fine. Did you aerate before pitching ? What temp are you at now ?

Edit: Beaten to it.

Mash temp ?
1020 is where most beers stick in my experince though. I personally wouldn't have used Roy's ale yeast, but 'spose it should have been fine. Did you aerate before pitching ? What temp are you at now ?

mash of 68-70
yeah fair enough, felt like giving it a go and had all these leftovers anyway
yep aerated before pitching, and constant 20 for the 12 days.

68-70C Might be your issue I'm guessing. Only way you're going to know for sure is to do a forced ferment.

That's where I would expect it to end up, my milds (70 mash) usually end up around 1022 - you have created a lot of dextrins that won't ferment down any further. However if you want it a tad dryer you could always add a dose of a more attenuating yeast such as Nottingham. It won't attack the dextrins but will attenuate down any remaining fermentable sugars that your current yeast has left.

68-70C Might be your issue I'm guessing. Only way you're going to know for sure is to do a forced ferment.

forgive the ignorance, can you elaborate on the procedure for a forced ferment?

That's where I would expect it to end up, my milds (70 mash) usually end up around 1022 - you have created a lot of dextrins that won't ferment down any further. However if you want it a tad dryer you could always add a dose of a more attenuating yeast such as Nottingham. It won't attack the dextrins but will attenuate down any remaining fermentable sugars that your current yeast has left.

ah ok yeah.

no its got a nice mouthfeel at the moment, im fine with it. was just curious how much further it would go.

thanks for that

That recipe does not look as stupid as you think really, could possibly be an interesing beer.

Latest posts

Back