Weihenstephan Hefe Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adding some melanoidin (needs to be mashed) to an extract is going to be a big hassle.

Looks like I will be going AG sooner than I thought :p. Thanks Nick

Watch this:

[don't mention the War]

While staring at this:

Mash_diagram_tripple_decoction.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
OK gotcha - sorry - thought because the category said beginnerpartials/ag you may be more ag.

If memory serves me one of the beers that won VicBrew in 2006 or placed that year in the Wheat Category was an extract based Hefe.

That guy must have done something right in terms of his ingredients. I'll check the book I have when I get home - it might suggest what you need to do to get a good hefe without having to plunge into full blown AG right away.

A couple of hundred grams of Melanoiden should be something you could crush simply in a coffee grinder or using the teatowel & rolling pin trick to add to your other extract ingredients? It's a crude method but can be done. I wouldn't have thought doing a small crush, steeping a small amount and adding it the kit/extract would have been a big issue?

Not that I'm trying to stop you! You should join us on the dark side, it's better here (laughs wickedly into his delicious tasting AG beer) :ph34r:

Hopper.

A couple of hundred grams of Melanoiden should be something you could crush simply in a coffee grinder or using the teatowel & rolling pin trick to add to your other extract ingredients? It's a crude method but can be done. I wouldn't have thought doing a small crush, steeping a small amount and adding it the kit/extract would have been a big issue?

Melanoidin needs to be mashed. Not steeped. Mashed.

Even if you don't convert the starch in it (you wouldn't notice starch haze in a hef anyway), you should still be able to steep the flavour out right?

Even if you don't convert the starch in it (you wouldn't notice starch haze in a hef anyway), you should still be able to steep the flavour out right?

Dunno. Could always "steep" it at 70C for 30 minutes. I wouldn't be surprised if the melanoidins are locked up in with the starch. Unlike the caramel toffee that's readily dissolvable in a caramalt grain. Munich et al are just hot kilned to produce the melanoidins and unconverted, I believe.

I would guess that one of the main reasons adding melanoidin to a beer rather than decocting is that the melanoidin is made at hotter temperatures than a decoction.

Maybe I can guinea pig this? :p

Worst case I make beer right? Would it make it taste really bad? or just not work?

Would it make it taste really bad? or just not work?

You know how you usually steep spec grains? This time, put a thermometer in to make sure the water is ~71C then add your melanoidin grain, put the lid on and cover it in a towel and wait 30 minutes.

Use the thingo at the bottom of this page

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/articles_o..._StrikeTemp.htm

to calculate your strike temp with you water volume and grain amount. A mash at 70C only takes 30 minutes.

The extract one i did was;

2.72kg wheat dry malt
28g hallertau hersbrucker @ 4.5%
Wyeast 3068

Though the other lists around;

AG
OG 1.053
2.27kg german pilsner malt
2.27kg german wheat malt
226g rice / oat hulls
3.7 HBU
Wyeast 3068