Wax Sealing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodolphe01

Reaction score
I'm interested to know where people who wax seal their bottles get their wax from, and for how much?

Only place I can seem to find sealing wax is plasdene, but they have $100 minimum order and costs ~$30 for a 850g block. Waaaaaaay more than I need. Ebay seems to have smaller quantities of envelope sealing wax, but seems relatively expensive.

I was thinking of maybe using bees wax as it is fairly soft? I used regular wax on a fews bottle a little while ago to see how it goes, too brittle etc as I suspected it would be.

I want to seal up a few bottles of stout and leave them somewhere and forget about them for a few years maybe :)

I'd love to hear how you go mate, this sounds like a great idea for when fancy bottles are needed.

I've seen it done with excellent results from bees wax (check ebay candlemaking suppliers) and crayons for the colour.

Edit: dental floss was used for the string wrapped around the neck so you can zip it open.

Waxed bottles... hmmm...
Plasdene may be an option, if you can grab a few people for a $100 buy.
Heck, i wouldnt mind 300-500g's.

Would the wax used for wax stamp type seals work or is this too hard? Can get it in small sticks from most stationery type shops.

got mine for more beer. its the same as cheese wax from what ive heard.

I used some bees wax to bottle mead it worked well and leaves a nice honey smell too.
The bloke I bought it off said to dip the bottle into ice cold water immediately after coating that is supposed to make the wax shinny.

photo_2.JPG

Cheers Stu

I use beeswax as I have bees and an endless supply. The prices for a kilo of beeswax from a bee supplier will be very inexpensive compared to the prices being bandied around here for LHBS/wine wax. You can also try to hit up your local beekeeping club if you find no joy searching online beekeeping suppliers.

Cheers
Brewer Pete

I pulled the trigger on beeswax, got it through ebay so probably paid too much ($20/kg inc. postage), but it's easier than tracking down a bee club.

Thanks for the replies.

Used the ghetto method mentioned above tonight on a few bottles as a trial and am thrilled with the results.

I did a few different test with it and found adding some tea candles helped decrease the strength of the glue when dried and cooled.

I will be using this on anything special or anything I intend on aging for an period of time from now on.

Back