Watermelon Wheat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultrasuede

Reaction score
I just started a watermelon beer. I used a mangrove jack bavarian wheat with a copper wheat enhancer that looked very hoppy. My local supplier was out of wyeast as iv'e read that using a 3rd party wheat yeast is better for fruit beer. I'm using Brian's rule from outofkeybrewing.com for the watermelon, which is about 1.5lbs of flesh to 1 gallon of beer, this works out to be around 3kg of flesh for a 23 litre brew. I'm leaving it for 7 days in primary, then racking to secondary for another week before bottling. i'm adding the fruit at second ferment with 500g of lactose, as i'm after a sweet beer. Anyone done anything like this before? I'm thinking of adding some orange rind and strawberrys to balance out the flavour, any thoughts?

12c3_c52_u2flv.png
my label for my brew :D

I recommend you look into the 21st Amendment's Hell or High Watermelon Wheat and see what they do.

Haha great name. I used a few web generators for the text, and I did the rest in photoshop

My brew is ready for secondary next wednesday, and i'm posting a video of adding the fruit

Latest posts

Back