Water Quality

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewme

Reaction score
g'day,

I have read somewhere, a long time ago, that water to be used in beer making needs to be conditioned.

The bloke in my local home brew shop says it's ok to use ordinary tap water (Sydney, Australia).

I have started using tap water that I stored in containers for about 2 days to get rid of the chlorine smell. After 2 days there is no chloine smell and the water tastes nicer than from the tap.

Is this of any benefit or just a waste of time?

Cheers.

g'day,

I have read somewhere, a long time ago, that water to be used in beer making needs to be conditioned.

The bloke in my local home brew shop says it's ok to use ordinary tap water (Sydney, Australia).

I have started using tap water that I stored in containers for about 2 days to get rid of the chlorine smell. After 2 days there is no chloine smell and the water tastes nicer than from the tap.

Is this of any benefit or just a waste of time?

Cheers.

I think there is benefit in doing what you do.

When I lived in Sydney, I had an outdoor fishpond. If I put the goldfish straight back in after a refill, they died. If I left it for 24 hours they were fine. Obviouxly there are some chemicals in the water which flash off by leaving it for some time.

The water I use for brewing ales is tap water captured from using my immersion chiller. It will sit in my garage for 2 to 4 weeks between brews, and it's just fine.

There's quite a few threads around talking about brewing with the water we have, this is one where I asked some questions the other day;

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...showtopic=38692

The bottom line is that Sydney water is soft, low in calcium and good for brewing "medium dark beers" if going by Palmers "how to brew" but there are lots who don't agree and say the water here is perfect as it is :D

Another way to improve the flavor of the tap water is to get a 20 litre water container and over a day or two filter all the water you need using one of those water filter mugs (Brita) if you have one of these already. They remove the chlorine and "other bad flavors".

Marella_cool_blue.jpg

thanks
Bjorn

Back