Water Adjustments

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just rang Central Highlands Water and asked them what they could tell me about my water quality. I had to chase it up a couple of times but they ended up emailing me this!

http://www.chw.net.au/

Cheers,
UNT

Beauty, I'll give Western Water a try and see what they can send me.

I've looked at your spreadsheet and I have gleaned that the details that will be useful you for any decent water spreadsheet are as follows (based on average):

pH = 7.9
Hardness = 139
Sodium = 59.3
Calcium = 19
Magnesium = 22.3
Chloride = 110
Sulphate = 7
Total Alkalinity = 90.5

Thanks Carlos

Thats great to have this document reduced to it's key brewing points. I was getting a bit lost with it!

However, as I now understand it the main game is to measure my mash pH!

Can I do this with a pH strip bought from a chemist or do I need an expensive pH meter?

Cheers,
UNT

Mash pH is definitely important, but it is also good to understand how the various elements of water react together in the mash and also in the finished product.

A great 'easy to follow' resource I have found useful specific to Melbourne Water is Tony Wheeler's superb little paper.

Melbourne's water is quite neutral and good for brewing, but is calcium deficient, so that's something to bear in mind.

If you get pH strips, get the limited range ones (pH 4 - 7) that are accurate for brewing.

pH meters are not expensive these days, but make sure you look after them and calibrate them using 4 and 7 testing solution.

Also, it's good to cool your mash sample down to around room temp before testing. Don;t trust the auto-temp calibration on them!

I've read that ph strips aren't good because the colour of your beer can affect the reading....

Back