Warning Regarding Big W PET Beer Bottles, and my Introduction to AHB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanMcMullen

Reaction score
Hello All,

1st Post to the AHB forum.

A little about me, I’m 33, living in BrisVegas and relatively new to brewing. My Brother Lord Raja Goomba has gotten me into All Grain Brewing, which I’m enjoying (brewed 2 brews, I’ll explain about 1 of them soon), however I have used a few FWK’s, 3 of which have been from All Inn brewing. If I can I’d love to give a shout out to the guys at All Inn, who have consistently made me happy with their beers, and their FWK’s are top quality and massively enjoyable when completed.

Enough about me, I thought I might use my first post to give you all a warning regarding the 15x PET Beer Bottles that Big W supplies.

After my first AGB I completed with my Bro, I wanted, by way of experimentation, to create a very hoppy beer. I employed Vic Secret (20g start of boil), Chinook (20g 10m) and Cascade (30gx2 10mins and Dry Hopped) hops at the start of the boil, 10 mins prior to the end of boil, and then dry hopped 3 days before FG. (Look at me using all these jargon things…cue Han Solo *Thats Great Kid, Don’t get Cocky*). Please note, all measurements and suggestions and time frames were all recommended, I just followed the guidelines my bro had provided.

Now, I understand you are probably all thinking, “Muppet, he’s trying too much too soon.” And I will concede that for a little while I think I’ll stick to recipes until I understand the basics a bit more. But I’m a throw me in the deep end kind of person. Sink or Swim.

But I digress. Wort production went fine, and with my Temp Controller I can get fermenting temps accurate, so no issues there. At the same time I had only just bought a new box of 15 PET Beer Bottles from Big W from their HB section. These bottles seemed weaker, with a thinner wall than the Coopers bottles I had obtained in the Coopers kit from Aldi (the coopers kit now acts as a secondary rack prior to bottle filling, as I’ve since moved up to a 30L blue fermenter from Bunnings which doesn’t have a good bottle filling head on it, yet. Ghetto Brewing). I thought nothing more of it and filled them up, and dropped in 2 Carb drops per bottle as per the directions on the carb drop packets.

Sidenote: To compare, the plastic screw cap bottles I got in the coopers beer kit have a thicker wall, more like a 600ml coke bottle, whereas the bottles I bought from Big W are thin, like bottled homebrand water from Coles or Woolies.

I was concerned at this time that, because the hops used for dry hopping was sitting above the brew line and not actually in the wort/pre-beer that I should scrape it off the side and mix it in, so I did about 1 day prior to bottling.
That was around March this year.

I thought everything seemed to be going alright until about 1 week later I opened the box with all the bottles in it and noticed it was wet at the bottom of the box. I checked all the bottles and they weren’t wet, so I thought maybe it had happened when I put them in the box.
Skip forward 2 weeks and I checked the box and sadly it was soggy at the bottom. I figured 1 of the bottles must be leaking, but I couldn’t tell which one still… they all seemed the same.

At this point as there were fruit flies in the box I had to ditch it. We were moving at the time so I had the bottles sitting on the ground. Sure enough more fruit flies and more liquid on the ground, so I shifted all 10 bottles to a Plastic Tub with Lid that I had bought from SuperCheap in preparation for moving house. I also packed my temp controller in the same box on top of the bottles, and other than moving them to the new place, completely forgot about them for a while, thinking my brew had been a failure because I had stuffed up the dry hopping or something.

So, I looked into my HoppyHop™ beer last night. And I’ve identified that there is something wrong with the bottles I used from Big W, the plastic twist caps. I kept meaning to get around to them, but just kept forgetting as well. So last night I went to the garage and opened the plastic tub that held all the bottles. There was about 2 inches of off “beer” sitting in the bottom of it, and smelled like really strong vinegar. And a lot of scum floating in it.

I didn’t realise when I filled them that the plastic bottles were so weak they leaked beer. I would say over-carbonation, but I put in the 2 carb drops per 740ml that the batch required, so I’m not sure.
Anyhow the vinegar smell was overwhelming, but because there were thousands of fruit fly looking bugs swimming around and flying everywhere it needed to be dealt with immediately (the house sometimes ends up with bugs, and now we have found the culprit). So I picked out the bottles and seeing as some of them had only about 100ml in the bottom I opened them up and drained out the liquid. I couldn’t help but notice 2 things though. First, the bottles even with only about 100ml of liquid, still had a lot of carbonated pressure. And secondly, although the bottom of the plastic tub had liquid that had gone off and smelled of vinegar, when I opened the bottles they smelled good. Like beer. Flavoursome beer.

SO I sifted through the bottles and found 2 that still had all their liquid, and another 3 or 4 that had about 75% of their contents. I washed all the bugs off and wrapped them in plastic freezer bags (in case of freakage leakage) and took them upstairs to put in the fridge.

So I’m hoping 2 things. First, that I can still drink the beer (looking for positives), and second that if I can drink the beer and it tastes good (hoppy and bitter) that I didn’t fail in my experiment. That it wasn’t my production or preparation that needs work, but that it was this batch of bottles that needed fixing. That would fill me with confidence that I do actually have a handle on making this wonderful beverage and that the problem was storage, not production. So I will go home and test my brew, and if it’s a success (as far as experiments can be successes first time around) then I will push ahead with the Chocolate Stout and Lawnmower Pale Ale that I’m planning and see if I can again do these by myself if time is possible as well. If not, going to ask the Oracle (bro) more questions until I get the basics right. Plus another brew day. Probably a Celebration Ale. It shall be called "No. 5 Trevorbration Ale" Or something equally applicable with the Choc Stout.

On the down side, the Temp Controller was sitting in the bucket as well, although on top of the bottles. So I have to go home and open it and clean it up and check it. If it’s just the extension cable that is damaged then I can cut it and put a new cable on, but if liquid has gotten inside the controller (and not just sprayed lightly on the outside) then I’ll need to buy a new one). Dang.

TL;DR – Big W PET Beer Bottles do not have the structure to withstand normal beer pressure for carbonation. Be warned. They may be $15, but you might as well spend this and get some tallies from Gumtree or elsewhere, and a bench capper.

PS. If anyone in Brisbane (Northside or Closer to the CBD) is selling a bench capper cheap enough, I’m interested. And an extra 30L fermenter wouldn’t go astray as well. :icon_cheers:

Welcome, Raja's brother. That liquid levels were very similar leads me to think leaky bottles. Might be worth getting a refund on 'em (and even your controller as well, put that on 'em as well, their failed product caused it) (after you've emptied the good ones. If your fermenting/carbing processes are spot on, I'd be going crownies, I do prefer the sturdiness of them particularly though. I f you dont mind the capping process. Or grab some decent PET's. Although I have read that they can eventually fail anyway.

I'm just up the top of the hill if you're ever interested in a co-brew co-drink type of day as well, no expert but the beers come out drinkable.

Welcome Dean,
Let us know how the ones that you salvaged taste- that will be a good test as to whether you had an infected batch (i've never pushed the trub above the liquid level back into it- that may be a possible infection source)
Were any of the bottles split/ cracked? I had a PET that split on me once, but it was very obvious. If not, when using PET, I find I have to really give them a good hard twist to get them sealed properly.
How did you determine fermentation had finished? Using 2 carb drops shouldn't over carb your beer, but incomplete fermentation + 2 carb drops probably will.....

All the best with your future brewing endeavors.
Cheers,
RB

madpierre:

Yeah, I'm assuming bottle failure, as I've tried other PET bottles and no issues. I do have a good collection of Tallies and stubbies I can use, but they were being used to store a Burleigh Brewing 28 replica I had brewed en masse.

GrumpyPaul:

I could have used my Wulffehound handle, but it doesn't really work in these forums... who wants beer smelling like wet dog?

I had the same thing happen a while back, they leak from the bottom where they're injection molded but only leak once carbed up. Welcome to the forum

Red Baron said:
Welcome Dean,
Let us know how the ones that you salvaged taste- that will be a good test as to whether you had an infected batch (i've never pushed the trub above the liquid level back into it- that may be a possible infection source)
Were any of the bottles split/ cracked? I had a PET that split on me once, but it was very obvious. If not, when using PET, I find I have to really give them a good hard twist to get them sealed properly.
How did you determine fermentation had finished? Using 2 carb drops shouldn't over carb your beer, but incomplete fermentation + 2 carb drops probably will.....

All the best with your future brewing endeavors.
Cheers,
RB
I measured gravity and when it was stable for 2 days I assumed fermentation was complete. But I mixed in the Hop scum and left it for another day and the gravity remained the same (sure, it sounds dumb now that I mention it). I sterilized everything, so I was always hoping it wasn't infection. Very careful with cleanliness.

The bottles are still all solid. I tightened the lids super tight. Even now, the bottles with 100% and 75% in them are ballooned, but can stand up straight.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

luggy said:
I had the same thing happen a while back, they leak from the bottom where they're injection molded but only leak once carbed up. Welcome to the forum
I did suspect this, because I can't see that they have leaked from the lid, as they were still super tight last night when I opened a couple of them. And when they were sitting on the ground there was no liquid or marks on the sides or lid of the bottles, but was pooled up underneath where the injection moulding break off point was.

re PET bottle quality-

I still have Cooper's PET from over eight years ago, used regularly and no problems. Yes, Big W used to sell them and then 'downgraded' their supplier/product.

Dan Murphy still sells Coopers. Their caps changed a couple years ago but still hold pressure. In my case,
8-10 months later carbing is still fine.

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_730411/coopers-pet-bottles-and-caps-15-pack

So, I opened it. Wow. It's bitter. And I'm not talking '1 testicle? declare war!' bitter but, I may need a 2nd opinion, I think it's about 60 or 70 IBU. Imperial IPA territory.

As per the attached images however I am thinking there is possibly an issue with carbonation. It developed a thick head quickly and took a while to go down. Ironically it is high ABV so I got a thick head pretty quickly too.

I'm still sure the bottles are faulty, but I'll have to figure out how the super hops that I used interacted with the carb drops.

2016-06-01 18.08.47.jpg

2016-06-01 18.09.23.jpg

thylacine said:
re PET bottle quality-

I still have Cooper's PET from over eight years ago, used regularly and no problems. Yes, Big W used to sell them and then 'downgraded' their supplier/product.

Dan Murphy still sells Coopers. Their caps changed a couple years ago but still hold pressure. In my case,
8-10 months later carbing is still fine.

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_730411/coopers-pet-bottles-and-caps-15-pack
Agreed. I've used the coopers PET bottles for 3 brews and no issues. Definitely the Big W versions.

If that's the head, then your bottles look like the issue. It's high carbonation but not gushers and even gusher will still stay in the bottle and not out.

I'm happy if I have an IPA with a persistent moussey head like that.

Wort production is progressing nicely though! :D

Epic first post mate and welcome. My suggestion is if ya think this brewing thing might stick around in your life invest in kegging. It sure can cost a bit to get the gear together but man did it raise my enjoyment level of this hobby. But as for your current problem, yeah big w pets are shite.

Welcome Dean and thanks for your informative post. I have never used PET bottles, but did wonder about them, but I have built up a nice collection of Pommy 500ml bottles, which seem thick enough to smash coconuts with.

Literally millions of VB drinkers, because you asked.

Welcome, because you're here.

Hey DeanMcMullen,

I have a Superautomatica Bottle Capper which was found at the Ferny Grove dump & that I have restored to perfect condition but never used.
As it was found on a Northside rubbish tip it is obviously MUCH superior to any Superautomatica Bottle Capper ever found on a Southside dump. :p
If interested, PM me if you want to collect it or can find someone to collect for you & take it down to Brissie.
All the best with your brewing ITF.

Reclaimed From The Dump.JPG

Hey DeanMcMullen,
I've also got a capper you can have it TidalPetes doesn't work out. Lot's of bottles you can have too. I'm in Paddington

Can verify that the PET bottles can leak from the injection moulding riser point. Exactly the same thing has happened to me on numerous occasions, with both Coopers bottles and others, to the point where I switched to all-glass. Now I keg and I'm much happier, albeit poorer.

michaeld16 said:
Epic first post mate and welcome. My suggestion is if ya think this brewing thing might stick around in your life invest in kegging. It sure can cost a bit to get the gear together but man did it raise my enjoyment level of this hobby. But as for your current problem, yeah big w pets are shite.
Believe me I wish I had the funding to consider Kegging, but sadly at this point I don't. Maybe in the future I will be more financially viable (with brewing good beer at cheaper prices) but currently I just can't. But I can understand how it would make things much better.

The Flyingscrapyard said:
Welcome Dean and thanks for your informative post. I have never used PET bottles, but did wonder about them, but I have built up a nice collection of Pommy 500ml bottles, which seem thick enough to smash coconuts with.
I only have about 25 or so PET Bottles, the remainder are all Tallies, Stubbies, or, and I really do like them, the Grolsch swing top bottles. If I could do all my brewing in swing tops (but thick glass walls) then I would. No capper required. The problem I have, and I'm not sure about you, but the Carb Drops are measured for 330ml or 740ml tallies, so having to dice up the carb drops isn't fun. Having said that I am looking to obtain a 2nd fermenter to rack and batch carb too in the future and ditch the drops. But funding rears it's ugly head once again.

TidalPete said:
Hey DeanMcMullen,

I have a Superautomatica Bottle Capper which was found at the Ferny Grove dump & that I have restored to perfect condition but never used.
As it was found on a Northside rubbish tip it is obviously MUCH superior to any Superautomatica Bottle Capper ever found on a Southside dump. :p
If interested, PM me if you want to collect it or can find someone to collect for you & take it down to Brissie.
All the best with your brewing ITF.
That would be great, but I'm not usually up the Sunshine Coast way. If you want to mail it too me I'd be glad to pay you back for the postage? The cheaper the postage the better. PM if possible.

Northside Dumps are much better than the south. We have cleaner rubbish.

Latest posts

Back