Wanting To Try A Partial

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I call it Golden Tett.

I'm not really sure if it fits a style guideline exactly although it isn't overly complicated or different. Just german style malts, german hops and german yeast so you'd figure it could fit in with something.

Try kolsch or blonde although I don't pretend it exactly fits the BJCP guidelines of either.

To make it work to its best potential - ferment till finished, leave on the cake another 3-5 days, cold condition in a fridge 3-5 days and fine with gelatine or isinglass.

Cold conditioning can be as long as you like but 3 days minimum.

I call it Golden Tett.

I'm not really sure if it fits a style guideline exactly although it isn't overly complicated or different. Just german style malts, german hops and german yeast so you'd figure it could fit in with something.

Try kolsch or blonde although I don't pretend it exactly fits the BJCP guidelines of either.

To make it work to its best potential - ferment till finished, leave on the cake another 3-5 days, cold condition in a fridge 3-5 days and fine with gelatine or isinglass.

Hmm. Don't have a fridge that I can cold condition in, and I've never used gelatine before. I'll be getting a broken down fridge this weekend, maybe I can put some frozen plastic bottles of water in there to keep it chilled?

I'll read the sticky on using gelatine.

Hmm. Don't have a fridge that I can cold condition in, and I've never used gelatine before. I'll be getting a broken down fridge this weekend, maybe I can put some frozen plastic bottles of water in there to keep it chilled?

I'll read the sticky on using gelatine.

Piece of piss - boil up water, let cool for 5-10 minutes, dissolve 1 tsp of gelatine thoroughly, coverwith glad wrap and let cool further (below 50 degrees is good but no too cold or you will get jelly).

Add gently to your brew, no need to stir. Leave at least 24 hours.

A dead fridge with bottles will help as will a sink full of water with bottles. Ideally you want the temp below 4 degrees but even below 10 will help. It's to help drop the yeast which results in clearer and cleaner tasting beer.

If you can't, it just may need a bit more time in the bottles before drinking. Don't sweat.

Ideally aiming for the lower end of ale temps - 17-19. Realistically with this weather and my high tech 'fermenter in a bath with ice bottles' temp control system it may be 20 or 21.

My version is full mash although that makes bugger all difference to the temperature

Ideally aiming for the lower end of ale temps - 17-19. Realistically with this weather and my high tech 'fermenter in a bath with ice bottles' temp control system it may be 20 or 21.

My version is full mash although that makes bugger all difference to the temperature

I've recently acquired a small freezer, so I should have better control now - up to this point I have been with you - ice baths, wet towels, lagers sitting in the shed in the middle of winter...

I note that WY1007 can, according to the Wyeast website, go down as low as 13c - have you had any experience with it at these kind of temperatures? I've not used this one, but I imagine you would lose the fruitiness usually associated with an ale.

Anyway, I will pick up the ingredients in the morning and have a go at it.

My usage of 1007 is recent. If that's the case I might try a similar style brew in winter and try and drop the temps for a super slow ferment.

I've recently acquired a small freezer, so I should have better control now - up to this point I have been with you - ice baths, wet towels, lagers sitting in the shed in the middle of winter...

I'm afraid I got ahead of myself - went to collect said freezer - *way* too small....

The bottles of water are in my freezer as I write this - back to the stone age, eh?

I call it Golden Tett.

So, for a rough time line:

leave till fermented 5-7 days (3 identical readings)
leave at same temp (?) for 3-5 days on the cake
cold crash for 3-5 days

Where does the gelatine fit in? Before cold crash?

Others will jump in here, you add gelatine whilst it's cold, but as you naturally carbonating you might get differing thoughts about the need for cold crash and gelatine, and whether you need gelatine if you cold crash, but you will need some yeasties in the bottle to carbonate which will give you a sediment.

So for me.
clean / sterilise bottles etc..
either bulk prime or prime each bottle,
Fill bottles
leave for 2 weeks,
move 1 bottle to fridge
leave bottle in fridge for 1 day, open it try it, decide to leave another week or fridge them all and drinkem now.

So, for a rough time line:

leave at same temp (?) for 3-5 days on the cake
cold crash for 3-5 days

Where does the gelatine fit in? Before cold crash?

I usually cold crash for 24 or more hours then add gelatin. Not saying that's the best way - just my way and it's worked so far. Plenty of yeast left to carbonate.

1 kg pilsner malt
500g vienna malt
500g munich malt
200g biscuit malt
This is a partial version of a current recipe favourite of mine.

Manticle, sounds interesting. I have searched the recipe db but can't see the ag version there... Can you post it - I think i'll have a bash at it.

hmmm. So the way I see it, I still need a small to medium esky (enough to hold at least 5 liters) and have a tap. I already have some clear hose to drain into the pot. Speaking of pots I'll need a larger pot. The ones I have at the moment would be lucky to fit 10L at the brim, and I'd need to allow for overboil. Some hops bags would be good as well.

Should be able to do this with minimal outlay. Just need to source the ingredients, I'll try the place in greensy as Heidelberg doesn't seem to have half of those grains.

Thanks again, manticle

I've been doing 2kg grain partials for a few years now with some basic equipment.

7.5L round esky with built in tap - Available at Big W, Kmart, camping stores for around $40
15-20L stockpots - Available at Kmart and Big W for about $20-25
Grain bag - available in most homebrew shops

I drain straight from the esky tap into a 5L jug which i find is easier than stuffing around with a hose :)

Manticle, sounds interesting. I have searched the recipe db but can't see the ag version there... Can you post it - I think i'll have a bash at it.

I'll post it tonight when I get home from work. Pretty sure I just replaced most of the pilsner malt with DME for the partial recipe but I'll double check.

I'll post it tonight when I get home from work. Pretty sure I just replaced most of the pilsner malt with DME for the partial recipe but I'll double check.

Cool. Will be good to see how you converted your AG recipe into partial so I can do the same with other AG recipes.

OK. Here it is. The reason I haven't plugged it into the db is that the first time I brewed this used a different yeast and my current one with 1007 is cold conditioning (ie - not ready).

I don't believe in putting my recipes in the database until I've done the recipe as written, tasted it and received positive feedback from another brewer or two plus some non-brewers.

Golden Tett

Type: All grain
Size: 22 liters
Color: 8 HCU (~6 SRM)
Bitterness: 32 IBU
OG: 1.051
FG: 1.010
Alcohol: 5.3% v/v (4.1% w/w)
Grain: 3kg British Pilsner
1kg German Vienna
1kg German Munich
250g Belgian biscuit
Mash: 70% efficiency
Boil: 60 minutes
SG 1.037, 30 liters
Hops: 30g Tettnanger (4.5% AA, 60 min.)
40g Tettnanger (4.5% AA, 20 min.)
20g Tettnanger (aroma)
German ale WY 1007

Mash @ 65
No chilled (potential difference to flavouring/aroma hops compared to chill)

@siborg - I think what I did to make your partial recipe was knock the total grain bill down to what you could comfortably mash. What I probably should have done to do it properly was to work out the percentages of each in the total and knock that down, (keeping the proportions), then make up the gravity with DME.

Certainly if you are going to interpret recipes that's how you should do it. I'm a bit rough sometimes - it's the same with cooking. You can do an exact recipe or an exact ratio version or you can take the general flavours and make them work. Since I'm still likely to tweak this recipe I haven't tried to be too tight about how to put it togather.

So for example: Total grain bill for 22 litres = 5.25 kg of grain. Following calculations have some, very slight approximations (which is better than weighing out 1.45498 kg of grain)

3kg of 5.25 = 57%
1 of 5.25 = 19%
.25 of 5.25 = 4%

So the grain bill is

pilsner 57 %
Munich 19%
Vienna 19%
Biscuit 5%

If you can mash 2.5 kg then the recipe is:

1.425 kg pilsner
0.475 kg munich
0.475 kg Vienna
125g biscuit

And make up specific gravity with the required quantity of DME.

Hopefully that makes sense. I could have been more anal with my initial recipe formation but I'm not sure it would have made you better beer. The quantities are roughly similar and the extra biscuit will only do good (love biscuit). That's how to do it though for next time.

1 kg pilsner malt
500g vienna malt
500g munich malt
200g biscuit malt

Mash 60 minutes with 5 litres water at 65 degrees, drain and sparge with 7 litres water

= 10 litres in the kettle. Boil 60 minutes

Add 40g tettnanger@ 60 minutes
40g@ 20 minutes
10g at flameout

Dissolve 1.5 kg ldme in hot wort and chill with lid on in a water bath.

Add to fermenter, top up to 20 Litres with boiled cooled water.

Yeast either US05 or German ale yeast WY1007

Assuming a 60 % efficiency, preboil gravity: 1040 OG: 1048
Bitterness: 36 IBU

Assuming FG of 1010: ABV = 4.9%

This is a partial version of a current recipe favourite of mine.

thanks manticle,

i dropped the ingredients list into lhbs this arvo for my first partial (moving to ag -hopefully- in the near future) will pick up in a day or 2 as i don't need for about a week cos both fermenters or on the go at mo'. i have a 19l pot and am gonna try this as biab (hopefully shitebox oven in shite rental house will cope :icon_cheers: , see how it goes. am gonna use s-04 yeast as it is the one i always use, do u see any forseeable issues, should be safe enough i think.

thanks again
matt

I'd go for 05 if you want to stay with dried. It's a bit more neutral and I've actually successfully made this one with 05.

Latest posts

Back