Wanting To Try A Partial

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just found a 6 pack esky. It holds bang on 5L. Would that be big enough, considering I'd have to fit in 2.2kg of grain as well? Could I do it all in the esky, using a little less mashing water and a little more sparge water? The only thing is that it doesn't have a tap, but I suppose I could just strain into the pot, put the grains back in the esky and sparge... Oh. Wouldn't fit 7L of sparge water in there. Better get a 10L WITH a tap.

hmmm. So the way I see it, I still need a small to medium esky (enough to hold at least 5 liters) and have a tap. I already have some clear hose to drain into the pot. Speaking of pots I'll need a larger pot. The ones I have at the moment would be lucky to fit 10L at the brim, and I'd need to allow for overboil. Some hops bags would be good as well.

Should be able to do this with minimal outlay. Just need to source the ingredients, I'll try the place in greensy as Heidelberg doesn't seem to have half of those grains.

Thanks again, manticle

5 litres of liquid plus the grain. 10 L would probably do it. 15 L pot would probably do (kmart sell them pretty cheap). Also try asian grocerys for larger cheap stock pots (particularly if you're thinking of moving to AG or full volume boils).

So after a little thought, manticle, I have come up with the following (steps in italics):

Manticle's Partial Recipe:

Grain:

1Kg Pilsner Malt

500g Vienna Malt

500g Munich Malt

200g Biscuit Malt

Total Grain: 2.2Kg

Mash:

5 litres at 65C for 1 hour (calculate strike temp ~73C)

Bring 5L of water to ~75C

Add grain when close to 65C

Insulate and let sit for 1 hour

Strain into 15L boil pot

Return grain to mashing vessel

Add 7L of 75-78C water to mashing vessel, leave for 10 mins

Strain into boil pot

Final wort volume: ~10L

Boil:

Boil for 15 mins (drive off DMS)

Start counter (60 mins), add 40g of Tettnanger Hops

After 40mins add another 40g of Tettnanger Hops

At 60mins add final 10g of Tettnanger Hops

Chill:

Dissolve 1.5Kg of light dry malt extract (LDME) in the wort

Put lid on

Chill in water/ice bath until temp around 25C

Final Steps:

Pour wort into fermenter

Top up to 20L

Pitch yeast

I'm thinking I can use one of my 8-10L pots to mash in, as long as I insulate it enough to hold temp. I'll need to buy a minimum of 15L stockpot (with lid) as I don't have anything big enough to accommodate 10L of wort plus heat break! I'll also need some material to make hops bags out of.

Can anyone see anything I've missed?

Can anyone see anything I've missed?

Manticle's Partial Recipe:

Grain:

1Kg Pilsner Malt

500g Vienna Malt

500g Munich Malt

200g Biscuit Malt

Total Grain: 2.2Kg

Mash:

5 litres at 65C for 1 hour (calculate strike temp ~73C)

Bring 5L of water to ~75C

Add grain when close to 65C

Not sure about this bit. Grain will absorb temp which is why the water should be hotter than the proposed mash temp. Add water, add grain immediately, stir gently, check temp and adjust as needed. Have cold and boiling water on hand, use sparingly and wait for temp to adjust. You can get a feel for how to add a bit of grain, a bit of water etc - I normally start with water (1/3 total) add 1/3 grain, read temp and stir gently. I repeat until all water and grain are in tun and temp is right.

Insulate and let sit for 1 hour

Strain into 15L boil pot

Return grain to mashing vessel

If you strain through the tap (if you end up using an esky), the grain will remain in the vessel. You may need some kind of mesh in front of the outlet inside (a cut up kitchen strainer would do). Therefore no need to return the grain as it should remain in place.

Add 7L of 75-78C water to mashing vessel, leave for 10 mins

Strain into boil pot

Final wort volume: ~10L

Boil:

Boil for 15 mins (drive off DMS)

Start counter (60 mins), add 40g of Tettnanger Hops

After 40mins add another 40g of Tettnanger Hops

At 60mins add final 10g of Tettnanger Hops

Chill:

Dissolve 1.5Kg of light dry malt extract (LDME) in the wort

Put lid on

Chill in water/ice bath until temp around 25C

Final Steps:

Pour wort into fermenter

Top up to 20L

Pitch yeast

I'll also need some material to make hops bags out of.

You should be able to buy very cheap hop bags at a good brew shop. Otherwise just chuck them straight in. They'll settle out during ferment.

Hope it turns out well for you chief.

Thanks for the clarification re temp control during mashing. I'll take that into consideration.

I probably won't be using an esky. I have a 48L esky with a tap that I am going to convert into a mash tun eventually, but I think it would be way too big for this brew. And I don't see the point in buying a 10L esky (especially in my financial state) when I'll probably switch to my big one when I get around to modding it.

Yeah, I've seen those hops bags at the homebrew shop in Heidelberg, I nearly bought some last time. I'll get some when I go to buy the grain from wherever has the goods and at the right price.

I understand budget constraints very well.

You could siphon the wort out of your pot with a bit of silicon hose. Just don't burn your mouth.

Hi Guys,

I too am getting close to doing some partials. I have just bought some specialty grain, so thats a step in the right direction, steeping only though, but i was going to imitate a mash of it, why not hey.

What I am surprised about is the use of eskies, insulation as such etc. I "thought" that you keep the grain on the stove top for 30mins as such and keep the temp around the 65deg mark etc. I have a very accurate gas stove that I should be able to do this with, without much drama. Is this a good option? Or is it best to 'mash' in an esky like container.

I have always thought that alot of water will evaporate during this process? and also the boil process when adding hops etc? true? do you need to top up?

You could siphon the wort out of your pot with a bit of silicon hose. Just don't burn your mouth.

Hi Guys,

I too am getting close to doing some partials. I have just bought some specialty grain, so thats a step in the right direction, steeping only though, but i was going to imitate a mash of it, why not hey.

What I am surprised about is the use of eskies, insulation as such etc. I "thought" that you keep the grain on the stove top for 30mins as such and keep the temp around the 65deg mark etc. I have a very accurate gas stove that I should be able to do this with, without much drama. Is this a good option? Or is it best to 'mash' in an esky like container.

I have always thought that alot of water will evaporate during this process? and also the boil process when adding hops etc? true? do you need to top up?

Eskies are used a lot in mash brewing because they can keep the temperature fairly constant. You can do it with a pot but it requires closer monitoring and is less simple. Temperature is important in mash brewing as it determines the fermentability of the product and even a degree or so either way can make a big difference. No need to sweat it too much at this point - that's just why those recommendations exist.

Some water will evaporate during the boil. During the mash you can cover the pot (helps insulate) so not a big drama there. You can compensate by topping up etc but it's better practice to calculate how much strike and sparge water you need in the first place to account for the losses. As you get to know your equipmnet it becomes easier to work that out.

Well I REALLY did learn something 2nite then.

I never thought that eskies would hold the temp that WELL, down to a few degrees or better. Anyway.....sounds good. Will get there soon-ish.

Thanks again for the education :D

Eskies are used a lot in mash brewing because they can keep the temperature fairly constant. You can do it with a pot but it requires closer monitoring and is less simple. Temperature is important in mash brewing as it determines the fermentability of the product and even a degree or so either way can make a big difference. No need to sweat it too much at this point - that's just why those recommendations exist.

Some water will evaporate during the boil. During the mash you can cover the pot (helps insulate) so not a big drama there. You can compensate by topping up etc but it's better practice to calculate how much strike and sparge water you need in the first place to account for the losses. As you get to know your equipmnet it becomes easier to work that out.

Hi All

Good thread for us beginners, Thanks Manticle for your help & guidance. I'll also be looking forward to try this recipe, possibly my first partial unless someone has a good recipe for an Australian style Bitter.
Best of luck Rendo

Cheers
Shonks :icon_cheers:

Hi All

Good thread for us beginners, Thanks Manticle for your help & guidance. I'll also be looking forward to try this recipe, possibly my first partial unless someone has a good recipe for an Australian style Bitter.
Best of luck Rendo

Cheers
Shonks :icon_cheers:

The above was a conversion of a full mash recipe I've used so I have faith in it. I've not made an Australian bitter but with a little tweak you could use a similar recipe. I'd sub out the vienna for 50/50 wheat malt/ale malt and replace the 60 minute tett addition with Pride of Ringwood. The alpha acid percentage in Pride is higher than tett so you'll need to adjust to get the same IBU.

I'd then drop the 20 minute addition of tett. The flameout addition of tett is up to you (hallertau or saaz might also be nice). For yeast use either US05 or reculture some Coopers yeast.

Otherwise I'd try converting Andrew QLD's Coopers Sparkling Clone into a partial mash.

Found here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...&recipe=829

The above was a conversion of a full mash recipe I've used so I have faith in it. I've not made an Australian bitter but with a little tweak you could use a similar recipe. I'd sub out the vienna for 50/50 wheat malt/ale malt and replace the 60 minute tett addition with Pride of Ringwood. The alpha acid percentage in Pride is higher than tett so you'll need to adjust to get the same IBU.

I'd then drop the 20 minute addition of tett. The flameout addition of tett is up to you (hallertau or saaz might also be nice). For yeast use either US05 or reculture some Coopers yeast.

Otherwise I'd try converting Andrew QLD's Coopers Sparkling Clone into a partial mash.

Hey, maticle. I went to that store in greensy today and spoke to Dave for a bit. Their prices are awesome, and Dave was really helpful. The only thing from that recipe he said he couldn't get was the biscuit malt, but he suggested a simpsons aromatic as a close substitute. What do you reckon, go with it? Or should I try and track down some biscuit malt?

Hey, maticle. I went to that store in greensy today and spoke to Dave for a bit. Their prices are awesome, and Dave was really helpful. The only thing from that recipe he said he couldn't get was the biscuit malt, but he suggested a simpsons aromatic as a close substitute. What do you reckon, go with it? Or should I try and track down some biscuit malt?

I have a love affair with biscuit malt. It brings a certain something to all the brews it goes in. A good vienna malt like weyerman's will bring a similar quality. Toast and nuts would be the best description. Since there's vienna in there already you could potentially ditch the biscuit with no major harm and just up the vienna to 1.2 kg.

I've never used aromatic myself so I don't know how similar they'd be. I've also never been to GHBS but I've never heard a bad word about it or about Dave.

You can order biscuit from grain and grape. Just grab a couple of other things to make the 7.50 postage price worth it (anything up to 20 kg which is a fair wack).

Thanks Mate
I'll give the Bitter a red hot go

Cheers

Siphon, ey? So with a bit of hose, siphon the wort out of my pot (mash tun) into the boiler? Where would I place my strainer to avoid sucking the grains out as well?

Probably gonna give this a go on Wednesday. Just need a big pot, and I'm thinking, to save money, I'll just throw the hops straight in.

I guess I should have said :

'maybe you could siphon your wort out?' as it's not something I've actually done. Purely hypothetical.

If I were to do it, I'd try something ridiculous like cutting up a cheap kitchen strainer and attaching the mesh to silicon hose with a tight rubber band or two. I have no idea whether this will work. A tap in the pot is ideal but if you're going to go that far you'll be almost set-up for all grain..

When I used to do partials I scooped grain into a large colander over the boil pot. If you did this you could then siphon the wort into the boil pot and return the grain to the pot for a sparge. Use a fine strainer to scoop out any bits of grain that fall through the colander.

...something ridiculous like cutting up a cheap kitchen strainer and attaching the mesh to silicon hose with a tight rubber band or two

Believe me... The thought had crossed my mind. Hmmmm. :unsure:

Also, for beersmith purposes, what style would you rank that recipe under?

Back