• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wanted Sydney: Keg System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alchomist

Reaction score
It's time to ditch the bottles & get a keg system happening. I've checked out Gumtree & EBay, but basically have no idea what I'm looking at. So I was just wondering if any experienced AHB Brewers in Sydney has the following items they perhaps aren't using too often & would like to sell.

19L Kegs x 4
Regulator
6kg Co2 bottle
S/S Pluto gun
Hoses, fittings etc

I've picked up a fridge big enough to hold 4 kegs & would like to set up a system where I could drink from 2 & have 2 behind them conditioning.

Any advice / suggestions would be greatly appreciated too.

Cheers,
Alchomist

Just keep your eye on the buy and sell thread here. Someone in Sydney is selling two CO2 bottles at the moment I think.

Yep, click here

Read it all.....

Highly recommend having a look at the kegging setups thread. Plenty of ideas pros/cons ect.

You basically want to make sure if you are getting multiple kegs that they are all the same type, ie ball lock is the most common for homebrewers.

If you get a 6kg CO2 bottle it would most likely need to be outside the fridge. A 2.4kg might fit inside.

Check valves/non return valves are a good investment. If you get a co2 manifold these are built in.

Picnic taps are a good subsitute for Pluto guns and cost $5 each.

If you have a fridge good to go your going to want taps at some point.

My opinion is "Buy well, buy once."

On the check valve/non return valve, they are pretty much essential, and as I found out recently a manifold is the cheaper option, though I still have a second check valve between my manifold and the Regulator as well. On multi keg systems the check valve prevents siphoning from one keg to another if one loses pressure, also beer getting into your regulator can stuff it.

mckenry said:
Just keep your eye on the buy and sell thread here. Someone in Sydney is selling two CO2 bottles at the moment I think.

Yep, click here

Read it all.....
Yup. Although I have been smacked on the wrist talking about selling un lisenced co2 tanks.
So I have two fonts, 3 regs and 2 things I'm not allowed to talk about.

H0U5ECAT said:
Yup. Although I have been smacked on the wrist talking about selling un lisenced co2 tanks.
So I have two fonts, 3 regs and 2 things I'm not allowed to talk about.
Actually you are completly incorrect in what you have stated in the quoted post.

There has been no restriction on the fonts and regulator posts that you have put up in your buy and sell post.

If you are trying to sell rented C02 bottles then you have infringed forum rules as has already. been stated.

So, to continue on, anyone who actually pays you money for C02 bottles that aren't owned by you, will be losing their purchase, as at any time these bottles are still owned by the supply company.

Good luck with the sale of your excess equipment

Gentlemen, I do hope I haven't started a legal argument about the ownership of swap & go cylinders. I would have thought the $200 spent on the original purchase entitles the owner to do as he sees fit with it. If it was a BOC cylinder that was rented on an account, then they would continue to pay rent until it was returned I would have thought?

On a lighter note, I pick up 4 x 19 litre kegs today from an eBay sale & was very happy with the purchase. Now to track down a twin regulator & a co2 bottle that won't get me 10 years in the slammer.

Alchomist

As dicko stated, although I purchased my CO2 tanks from a friends restaurant, he was in fact not the legal owner but a renter of the tanks.
Duly noted.
I'll be having words with my friend shortly.

But, if you're after some regs, I'm here in the inner west. Have three to move.

I pieced together mine bit by bit off eBay, LHBS and A few things borrowed while I saved. Saved a bunch compared to buying a kit. I used sodastream gas until this weekend. I just got a 2.3kg for $120 in eBay compared to about $250 retail. I had limited funds and was also building a brew set up. I have seen some massive bargains on this site though.

This is turning out to be an eye opener for me, thanks to everyone that's contributed so far.

Regarding the gas bottle issue, how exactly does it work? Years ago I had an account with BOC for oxy / acetylene/ argon, but when they bought in the rent on bottles I switched to disposable gas cartridges & flux cored mig wire.

My question is: how does this swap & go thing work? If I buy a cylinder through eBay will a HBShop simply let me swap it for a full one?

you need to buy one of theirs to swap it.
I've got a my keg on legs but it depends on what the local store will accept.

Thanks Barls,

So does anyone know of a place that will re-fill a cylinder in the Inner West (Leichhardt Sydney)?

im not far but sort of in the black spot like yourself.
i know dave does the my keg on legs. esb does refills but you will need to check what they require. not sure on barley man or hops and grain does.

If you google my keg on legs and keg king, the sites should show you swap and /or refill locations, then just pick which is closest to you. I find the 2 LHBS I use do what I use so I just drag it in when I have a grain, hops or yeast to get. That said I'm Using reserves ATM because I keep forgeting to swap it out , so the bottle is now sitting in the car emmpty despite 3 trips for bits in the last 2 weeks :ph34r:

The brew shop at peakhurst swaps them out if they are the same size. Might be a hike for you though. I know there is a place in marrickville. Otherwise find a fire systems place that refills extinguishers.

Latest posts

Back