Wanted: Nice Easy Drinking Summer Extract Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0M39A

Reaction score
Ok, as the title says, i'm putting on a brew tonight and want a nice, easy drinking summer beer.

I have at my disposal:

2kg light malt extract
1bag of 500g dextrose + 500g wheat malt
1kg dextrose

the following hops:

25g cascade
25g golden cluster
50g fuggles
180g pride of ringwood
25g east kent goldings
50g hallertau
50g saaz

150g light crystal grain (60ebc)

US-56, s-04 and danstar nottingham yeasts

now, as i want something nice and light and easy to drink (in body i mean, high alcohol is desired :p) i was thinking of going for the following

2kg light malt
500g dextrose + 500g wheat (wheat for a nice head and a bit of tartness to the beer)
maybe a bit more dextrose depending what the gravity comes out like.
the 150g crystal malt
danstar nottingham yeast (never used it before, and my LHBS gave me some for free so im keen to play with it)

but the hops schedule is what im not to sure about.

probably just go some POR for bittering as i have heaps of it, but not too sure what to use for flavour and aroma. the saaz and/or hallertau could probably work well. I already have an american pale ale i made with POR, golden cluster and cascade hops and its beautiful, so something a touch different could be good.

never used fuggles before, played with hallertau as a dry hop a bit, and tasted saaz in pilsner urquell but never used it.

so what are some thoughts?

Not a huge help but my suggestion would be to use the 2kg malt, wheat malt, skip the sugar, add the grain and use POR hops for bittering. Something not too far of a CPA and 5%.

Could use east kent goldings and fuggles for flavour and aroma plus your special yeast and get a nice british ale, not unlike a newcastle brown ale but lighter.

Download beersmith, trial is free and is good for making up extract recipes as well as AG. Will help you with the bitterness.

http://www.sharewareplaza.com/BeerSmith-downloads_16037.html

Cheers
DrSmurto

Not a huge help but my suggestion would be to use the 2kg malt, wheat malt, skip the sugar, add the grain and use POR hops for bittering. Something not too far of a CPA and 5%.

Could use east kent goldings and fuggles for flavour and aroma plus your special yeast and get a nice british ale, not unlike a newcastle brown ale but lighter.

Download beersmith, trial is free and is good for making up extract recipes as well as AG. Will help you with the bitterness.

http://www.sharewareplaza.com/BeerSmith-downloads_16037.html

Cheers
DrSmurto

Thanks for the quick reply DrSmurto,

Already have (and use) beersmith. Great program.

EKG and Fuggles for flavour and aroma you say... ill keep that in mind and hopefully have a few other people reply as well.

The dextrose would be in there simply for a bit extra alcohol percentage. all light malt ends up a bit too heavy in body for a session beer IMO...

2kg light malt
500g dextrose + 500g wheat (wheat for a nice head and a bit of tartness to the beer)
maybe a bit more dextrose depending what the gravity comes out like.
the 150g crystal malt
danstar nottingham yeast (never used it before, and my LHBS gave me some for free so im keen to play with it)

Although it would make it a bit dull, I'd dump the Crystal myself.

I reckon ill stick with the crystal, is only 150g worth, and i love the flavour it gives. only 60ebc as well.

I'm certainly not qualified to give advice but my 2 cents would be bitter POR, flavour with POR and maybe some hallertau and late addition of hallertau for aroma ....just add dextrose and maybe you'll get a nice quencher...but maybe not ....

cheers simple

ok, decided to go for 25g POR for bittering, 15g of fuggles for flavour and 10g fuggles for aroma.

crystal malt is steeping as i type this :D

hi OM39A

don't know if you caught this from a thread a few days ago ....i cannot take credit for it ...you'll have to thank bconnery for it okay...i think its fantastic...maybe for future reference...

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&id=11412

sorry i got no idea how to make it an attachment but if you whack that (cut and paste ) into the address bar it'll appear (i think)

let me know how the brew goes please ...btw what how many litres you making that up to and what fermentation temperature please also the hop schedule thanks

cheers simple

hi OM39A

don't know if you caught this from a thread a few days ago ....i cannot take credit for it ...you'll have to thank bconnery for it okay...i think its fantastic...maybe for future reference...

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&id=11412
sorry i got no idea how to make it an attachment but if you whack that (cut and paste ) into the address bar it'll appear (i think)

let me know how the brew goes please ...btw what how many litres you making that up to and what fermentation temperature please also the hop schedule thanks

cheers simple

Cheers for that attachment, ill check it out later on :beer:

Reckon ill make the batch up to 23 or 25 litres, depending on how it tastes and the final gravity when i finally mix it all up in the carboy.

Will ferment at 18C hopefully. might need a wet tshirt and a fan to keep it that low though.

hop schedule is as follows

25g POR @ 60min
15g fuggles @ 30min
10g fuggles @ flameout

using danstar nottingham yeast.

Well, update time i guess.

after a slow start, a krausen has finally started to appear. took nearly 24 hours, but all is good now. still no airlock activity but meh.

temps were up a bit high as well (24-26 in tassie :S) so i gave it the wet t-shirt and fan treatment and have been spraying the shirt with a spray bottle i've been keeping in the fridge. down to 20C after a few hours, hopefully will drop to a constant 18C

temps were up a bit high as well (24-26 in tassie :S) so i gave it the wet t-shirt and fan treatment and have been spraying the shirt with a spray bottle i've been keeping in the fridge. down to 20C after a few hours, hopefully will drop to a constant 18C
Hey 0M39A, its Pugsley from OCAU

How did it handle this weekend? (For those that dont know we were mid to high 30's for the weekend)

Hey 0M39A, its Pugsley from OCAU

How did it handle this weekend? (For those that dont know we were mid to high 30's for the weekend)

Hey mate,

Been keeping the brew nice and cool using the good old wet t-shirt and a fan blowing over it.

Keeping it right on 20C.

Have a spray bottle in the fridge full of water, and every hour or so (when i can) i give it a good soaking.

Still bubbling away quite happily atm.

Whats it been like down in hobart? its horribly muggy up here in burnie lately. I'm moving back down to hobart again on thursday. Have a job interview thursday morning in burnie (IT support officer position at the burnie council) at 9:40, then heading down to hobart. If i end up getting the job (which hopefully i will!) ill move back up to burnie again. if not ill be doing uni in hobart once again.

Should catch up some time and swap a few brews :party:

temps were up a bit high as well (24-26 in tassie :S) so i gave it the wet t-shirt and fan treatment and have been spraying the shirt with a spray bottle i've been keeping in the fridge.

Wet tshirt :p you got a thing for fermenters........

If you sit the fermenters in trays of water and let the t-shirt touch the water then it will suck up said water and provide continual cooling thru evaporation! Saves effort of spraying! View attachment 11516

Wet tshirt :p you got a thing for fermenters........

If you sit the fermenters in trays of water and let the t-shirt touch the water then it will suck up said water and provide continual cooling thru evaporation! Saves effort of spraying! View attachment 11516

Yeah, ive been doing something similar, just filling the lid up with water (i have a 30L coopers carboy, so the lid is pretty deep dish).

works great, but i still give it a spray regularly with the cold water out of the fridge.

Still fermenting away strong as ever. Will check the gravity later on today to see how its going.

ok, decided to go for 25g POR for bittering, 15g of fuggles for flavour and 10g fuggles for aroma.

crystal malt is steeping as i type this :D

good luck on your brew ...i was wondering what is crystal malt and how do you use it please?

cheers simpletotoro

Hey mate,

Been keeping the brew nice and cool using the good old wet t-shirt and a fan blowing over it.

Keeping it right on 20C.

Have a spray bottle in the fridge full of water, and every hour or so (when i can) i give it a good soaking.

Still bubbling away quite happily atm.

Whats it been like down in hobart? its horribly muggy up here in burnie lately. I'm moving back down to hobart again on thursday. Have a job interview thursday morning in burnie (IT support officer position at the burnie council) at 9:40, then heading down to hobart. If i end up getting the job (which hopefully i will!) ill move back up to burnie again. if not ill be doing uni in hobart once again.

Should catch up some time and swap a few brews :party:
Thats good to hear your brew is fine. Hobart was just hot. We had a large light show in the sky on friday night which was fun to watch, havent seen lightening like that for ages! Got muggy for a little while on saturday afternoon as we had a small shower then the sun came back out and bumped the temp up to around 35. :blink:

Good luck with the job interview, let me know how it goes.

Damn, this brew is still fermenting like crazy!

Tested the gravity this morning, only down to 1030...

krausen still frothing through the airlock (dont have any hose to make a blowoff).

Was hoping it would be done and ready to bottle by tonight, but obviously its not.

Could pose a problem, as I am moving 350km on friday...

Just put her in the baby seat and turn the air conditioner on :)

Just bottle it now with no extra sugars and while it finishes fermenting it will carb up hehe

Just bottle it now with no extra sugars and while it finishes fermenting it will carb up hehe
That will work too,but would it explode the bottle's?

Or you just pulling a leg?

Back