• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wanted: Hop Rhizome

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Borret said:
T.D.

I'll meet your cane and raise you a leaf :lol:

The leaves strike roots and do survive. However I'm yet to see it's progress. Pictures at 2 weeks form cutting and then after 2 weeks in the pot. Still surviving not growing but who know what those roots are upto.

Borret
[post="104541"][/post]​

Well I certainly stand corrected! :eek: You can't beat photo evidence!!

What I was saying was purely based on what I know about grapevines - and apart from the fact they are both "vines", I'm not sure how similar they actually are. Having said that though, you may be able to strike grapevines from the leaf too. But we put a great deal of effort to strike cuttings in our vine nursery. If it was possible to be done from leaves I'm sure that's the way it would be done. My guess is that there may not be enough buds on a single leaf to make for a successful long term strike rate.

Of course, this may all be entirely different for hops! I hope your hop vine gets going - it sure looks promising at this stage (I have seen a million of struck grapevine cuttings and the root growth on average looks no different to that in your picture). Good luck with it mate. :)

Borret,

I would be interested to hear how that hop leaf of yours goes. One problem I suspect that may arise - but I may well be wrong - is that the leaf itself has no growth points from which to throw up a bud/stem. Leaves are generally at the extremity of a growth point and as far as I know don't have the capacity to produce buds.

Here's hoping though :(

Chatty

Latest posts

Back