• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wanted: Home Brew Kit - Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In terms of price, most of the brew shops offer about the same deal for a basic starting kit. The difference is in the service. I have had mixed results with Brewcraft and G&G, and always friendly service at Greensborough Home Brew (but he has less kits on offer, which isn't a prob for me). THere are usually plenty of good kits on ebay too, often with lots of bottles, etc.

IMO, to get the best out of basic kits you need temp control and decent yeast. An old fridge and fridgemate, maybe $40-80 investment is worth every cent. Melb weather makes is hard to control without playing games with ice, towels, etc.

One of my best kit brew was the coopers pale ale (green can), $11 from Big W. Use a coopers brew enhancer 2, use kit yeast if you absolutely have to, otherwise SafAle S-04 or US-05.

Hey all,
just getting into the hobby - so if anyone's got a basic kit (or just some essential compontents) let me know!

thanks!

Mate, You're about to get information overload here at AHB.
Not that that's a bad thing, some of the information here is invaluable and the contributors are well seasoned in the craft.

As a new brewer myself, I completely recommend that you spend a week surfing this forum and gathering information before you buy your kit. Use the search feature, but if you do get lost or cant find the info, don't be afraid of posting your question. The guys here will certainly give you advice and point you in the right direction. Just don't expect to get a definitive answer (unless your airlocks not bubbling). Brewing beer isn't rocket science as butters70 will probably tell you, but the small choices you make while putting together your brew will be the difference between an average beer and a great beer!

My advice to you as a new brewer to a new brewer is to read up on the following:
1. Cleaning and sanitizing
2. Yeast starters and yeast hydration as well as the difference between Ale and Lager Yeasts
3. Temperature control
4. Hydrometer usage
5. Racking your beer to a secondary fermentor (I highly recommend getting another fermentor for racking)
6. bulk priming.

There's a heap more, but that will get you started. Note that 1 and 3 are two of the golden rules in brewing!

I went to my local Brewcraft and bought one of their starter kits with their James Squire Amber Ale pack. I got another 3 weeks before it'll be ready to drink but sampled it every 2nd to 3rd day to get a "taste" of what happens in the whole process.......and it tastes good!!

you can start here for a location of a brewshop:
http://pint.com.au/links/homebrewshops/

Mate, if you like beer, you're gonna love making your own!

Cheers, Beers!

Edit: eye no eye carnt schpell n dat!!

greensborough homebrewing 94320283 is all you need.

brewcraft - we'll if you liked being ripped off and having someone give you no advice then start here. :lol:

railgun. theres a few of us AHBrs around blackburn, boxhill, nunawading, donvale etc. so you've got plenty of help available.

the physically closest reputable LHBS to you is Dave's as Fents said. Dont bother with brewcraft (dont confuse brewcraft with craftbrewer the
online sponsor). pick up a cheap set and get started then worry about upgrading etc. unless of course your wanting to start out in all grain.

online sponsors (top of page) are also very very good, but you wont get a 'start up kit' from any of them (if im not mistaken). they are great for brewing supplies once established. go have a yarn with Dave. Fents will probably be there as I think he almost lives there!

im just part of the furniture :ph34r:

railgun. theres a few of us AHBrs around blackburn, boxhill, nunawading, donvale etc. so you've got plenty of help available.

the physically closest reputable LHBS to you is Dave's as Fents said. Dont bother with brewcraft (dont confuse brewcraft with craftbrewer the
online sponsor). pick up a cheap set and get started then worry about upgrading etc. unless of course your wanting to start out in all grain.

online sponsors (top of page) are also very very good, but you wont get a 'start up kit' from any of them (if im not mistaken). they are great for brewing supplies once established. go have a yarn with Dave. Fents will probably be there as I think he almost lives there!

"Dave's" ??

Totally stoked with all the support here!
...easily the most friendly and helpful forum I've joined.

I'll take the advice and scout out the forum and what's on offer around the place before I dive in!
Looking forward to cracking open my first brew!

Thanks all

you can start here for a location of a brewshop:
http://pint.com.au/links/homebrewshops/

Mate, if you like beer, you're gonna love making your own!

Cheers, Beers!

I maintain that home brew shop directory and have recently updated the Victorian page to include a lot more brew shops all over the state. But beware, not all brew shops are created equally which is why forums like this are great for getting good advice on which shops are best.

Cheers
Ben

Back