• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wanted: Home Brew Kit - Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

railgun_livewire

Reaction score
Hey all,
just getting into the hobby - so if anyone's got a basic kit (or just some essential compontents) let me know!

thanks!

Welcome railgun_livewire

Probable best to scan the AHB Marketplace forum. There's usually some sort a gear there! Also help if you put a little more detail of where you are in Melbourne, as in suburb, it's a big place, No?

Edit: Agree with FastEddy Below! Better Idea IMO

Dont wait around for someone to put theres up. go to brewcraft if your in melbourne, theres one in oakleigh and one in richmond. Buy a starter kit from there. Its worth spending the money to get the bare essentials! and trust me if your signed onto this forum, you wont be giving the hobby up any time soon. I dont know about those coopers starters kits, i think there a bit cheaper but i would go with the quality and go to brewcraft.
Cheers
eddy

I had a quick look but had trouble accurately finding anything in Victoria, let alone Melbourne.
(its a very long process when the title omits the location)...

I'm based in blackburn (east).

Nothing at all wrong with the coopers kits.
I've still got mine, about 4 years old and going strong.
Comes with PET bottles and the gear for your first brew.
Do that brew, enjoy it if you can, then start getting the recipes & info from here.

Welcome to the obsession.

theennnnnn i think you would have a good chance of finding those coopers kits in woolies, thats where i have seen them a few times.

As stated, get yourself down to a brewcraft for a starter kit (will come with everything needed to make your 1st batch of beer) or your local HB store. Alternatives are to goto a BIG W and get a coopers starter kit.

For a basic starter kit you will need

For fermenting:
Fermenter
Hydrometer
Thermometer (stick on to the fermenter)
Tap

Bottling:
Bottling wand
Bottles
Capper
Caps

Learning material: www.howtobrew.com

Finally a Temperature controlled area (ambient 18-24 deg for ales, 8-13 deg for lagers)

A Basic Brew would be
Any old Can of goo (e.g. Coopers Pale ale tin)
500g Dex
1kg of Extract
Fermentis 05 Yeast and you will have yourself a decent beer.

I had a quick look but had trouble accurately finding anything in Victoria, let alone Melbourne.
(its a very long process when the title omits the location)...

I'm based in blackburn (east).

Brewcraft will get you started, as long as you don't want advice from the staff. I always found they weren't too interested in talking beer.

If you want to make good beer I'd say it won't be long till you're in Grain and Grape. I can never get out of there in less than an hour.

Grain and Grape is the best place in melbourne IMO, followed closely by Greensborough home brew.

No affiliation blah blah blah.

And what ever you do don't post a "My airlocks not working" OK big fella check [topic="30153"]this[/topic] out first

I'll second Ronin, Grain & Grape are great for advice & they support the homebrew comps & this website. You'll also find plenty of kit equipment on ebay, a bit harder to get all grain equipment second hand, as most all grainers never give it up.

Yup same as what everyone else has said. Have a peek on one of the sponsor's links and you'll find plenty of gear, you can save on driving around town and fuel and get it delivered pretty easily.

For newbies advice and a good range of kits and bits Brewcraft are ok - They have a good set up at their Richmond store (greensborough Brewcraft might have improved since I last dared venture there). Have a few buds who swear by the Brewers Den in Boronia if you're out that way (they even have a beginner kit set up on their home page) and the guy who runs it is supposed to be very knowledgeable.

Like the guys have said - Woolworths & Coles Supermarkets do stock the Coopers/Brewiser starter setups (selected stores) and you can definately get them at Kmart and Big W in Vic. Ebay also turns up a few starter kits and equipment from time to time.

Good to see another newcomer ready dabble in the dark arts of brewing :ph34r: welcome!

Hopper.

Thanks everyone - what a reponse!

I have been to all the nearby supermarkets, but they only seem to stock the starter kit in a can - no equipment...
Which I why I was hoping there might be a member here who was upgrading and in need of getting rid of a basic kit.
I always think its best to approach the community before a retailer.

Brewcraft will get you started, as long as you don't want advice from the staff. I always found they weren't too interested in talking beer.

If you want to make good beer I'd say it won't be long till you're in Grain and Grape. I can never get out of there in less than an hour.

Grain and Grape is the best place in melbourne IMO, followed closely by Greensborough home brew.

No affiliation blah blah blah.

Ronin's point is valid - Grain & Grape, particularly for the experienced brewer is a place I'll swear by. Best gear, best knowledge and best of everything. Of my last 3 trips to an HBS, 2 were to Grain and Grape. The one where I didn't go was because G&G had run out!

Brewcraft is geared more towards beginners and their people do annoy more experienced brewers like many of us (often because we can't get the answers we need from their staff who are used to dealing with kit brewers who are new to home brewing). 70% of their shelves have kits on them, so you will get good starting out kit advice there.

Both businesses have their place - but they cater for different people (newbies vs intermediate to expert). And Grain and Grape will still also give you excellent advice starting out too. Just don't get too tempted by all their yummy gear or you will go broke! :lol:

Hopper.

I have been to all the nearby supermarkets, but they only seem to stock the starter kit in a can - no equipment...
KMart and BigW both sell the standard starter equipment kits, they both have Coopers kits and often have another brand as well.
The site sponsors/retailers that others have mentioned in this thread also have starter kits.
Ebay usually has some as well, every week-or-so there are a few equipment kits on Ebay that you can find in Melb.

And in addition to the initial shopping list, start putting aside spare $$$ for the eventual wish list of:

Keg system
Spare fridge for kegs
Spare fridge for temp controlled fermentation
Tempmate or similar
AG rig
Brew Shed

damn... the list goes on and on...

Welcome to the best hobby in the world!

Which I why I was hoping there might be a member here who was upgrading and in need of getting rid of a basic kit.

I think you'll find that with the exception of bottles (when you eventually keg, and you will :lol: ), none of the basic equipement ever becomes obsolete. I can't think of a single thing that I got when I did my first kit beer that I'm not still using (apart from aforementioned bottles/capper). Fermenters you always need, hydrometers, heat belts etc. It's all used by all grain brewers as well as kit brewers.

Generally the only time you'll get second hand stuff is when someones not brewing anymore (???), or they've collected so much stuff and finally realise that they can't move around the brewery anymore! :lol:

EDIT: Even bottles have their place with keggers. I'm keeping mine for stronger beers that I want to age.

EDIT 2: Case in point...

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...mp;#entry406416

All of that is useful.

My advise would be

Get on grain and grape or craftbrewer. Both excelent to deal with.

Buy the following first

Fementer
A hydrometer
A stick on thermonitor for the fementer
A bottle capper
Decent sanatiser & Cleaner
Try find a second hand bigish pot

Next maybey a old fridge for fementing as this will be your first hurdle and will last, no matter what type of brewing your doing.
A fridge mate to control it.

And my biggest suggestion is a imersion chiller. I had a horrible time trying to bring wort down to pitching temps before i baught one.

You can make them aswell to save money. http://www.allaboutbeer.com/homebrew/equip/chiller.html

Cheers Vice

try kmart or big w for the coopers starter kit id recommend that over the brewcraft kit any day . includes everyting you need to get your first brew into the fridge and drinking...

Back