Wanted: Advice From An Hydraulic Engineer Or Mechanice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
I am rebuilding my old International tractor, and need to flush out the hydraulics.

I do not want to pull the main reservior apart as it will cause a world of pain trying to put it back together.

A bloke told me to use diesel, but not kero as kero is abrasive and diesel is not.

I want to know if I can run diesel thru the pump and system to try and flush all the water/gunk out

Does plumber count as a hydraulic engineer?

Anyway, all I know about this is what I learned growing up on acreage with tractors that broke down often.

If the motor isn't running, you need to find some other way to pressurize the system - like compressed air. Probably a better idea anyway so you don't hurt the pump.
You just need to bodge up some way to get some pressure in there,it doesn't really take a lot.
It helps to use something with hygroscopic properties like metho to pick up the moisture. Throw a couple of liters in the tank then bleed the system at the end of every line so you know the whole lots clear.
Then clean the screens (or replace the filters) refill with hydraulic fluid and do the same - straight away so nothing rusts.
You'll probably need to change the filters / screen after the first proper run after all the flaky shit breaks loose.

Two more essentials - old clothes - lots of rags. It's a messy shit of a job.
If you are familiar with old tractors, you probably got that covered already.

I think our old Inter was the 564 or something.

I sure do know about oil and old tractors... took me a week to clean the old girl up using a combo of de-greaser, oven cleaner and caustic soda baths and a pressure washer

So now it is squeky clean. The engine sump was full of black tar-like jelly and the hydraulic iol is milky white.

I will be able to run the pump when the motor is back together

The only good thing about it being caked in oil was that the nuts and blots didnt rust and it was easy to pull apart..

Latest posts

Back