Beer Engine Rebuild

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The built in valve (the spring and what looks like a stainless ball to the left of the pic) will stop the beer running back out of the pump chamber.

I gather not all beer engines have these.

You'll only need an extra check valve if you are applying CO2 pressure to the beer (which some people do instead of using a demand valve/cask breathe), or if the keg is sitting above the beer engine.

I've not needed one with my setup. There are many different options shared in the "show us your beer engine" thread.

Looks great! Have fun with it!!

I just got online to say " I forgot to mention the heavy ball bearing was the no-return valve"...so thanks for that Kodos, you beat me to it.

The bearing lifts as you draw the handle and the spring then pushes it back against an 'o' ring (plus gravity is helping) on the return.

The engines detailed in the pdf earlier won't have this function. They draw from the rear and not the bottom, so gravity would be a hindrance.

I'm planning to use my regular cornies and leave the pressure release up while on a session. When I'm finished, I'll purge the keg with CO2 again.

Latest posts

Back