Want to make this today ..... or tomorrow

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spohaw

Reaction score
Hello every one , I just wanted to know if how I am going to use the LME will be ok

I went to the homebrew shop and got a can of coopers light extract with out think about how I was going to use it.......

Made a recipe in brewmate
here she is

I am making a 19 ltr brew

New Recipe (American Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.054 (°P): 13.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol (ABV): 5.64 %
Colour (SRM): 7.2 (EBC): 14.1
Bitterness (IBU): 43.4 (Average)

40.54% Liquid Malt Extract - Light ....one can
27.03% Pale Ale Malt .... 1 kg
13.51% Crystal 15 ........ Caramel malt 0.5kg
13.51% Dextrose .......... 0.5 kg
5.41% Amber Malt ........ 0.2kg

0.5 g/L Cascade (7.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) ....10 gms
0.5 g/L Cascade (7.2% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) ....10gms
0.5 g/L Simcoe (13% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) .......10 gms
0.5 g/L Simcoe (13% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil).........10 gms
0.8 g/L Amarillo (8.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) .....15 gms

0.1 g/L Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

The brews I have been doing have been getting a lower FG then brewmate says
Also forgot to put in the yeast nutrient for 10 minutes in the boil

Mainly worried about the grains with the can and the flavor , should I add more amber .... less caramel ..... more ale malt ......less dextrose ?????

Would like peoples opinions / advice

Thanks

Spohaw :)

Yeah mashing the other malts in with the pale as well , Biab style

I will be using a little coffee grinder to "mill" it up ...

Probably not helpful but you should throw out the can and the dextrose and use another ~3.5kg of pale ale malt.

Then you'd be all grain all the way brother!!

Cheers
Matty

Haha , Got a brewpot and a mill coming in the mail with some grains so hoping to be doing allgrain brews from then on
Always seem to want to put in some dex ..... just to bump up the % a bit

Will have another 3 odd kg of ale malt left over so maybe 2kg of ale malt and no dex ?
This will be hard for me to do ...not adding the extra dex that is

Epic beard btw Matty ....dont know if you needed to pull angry face but .....the beard looks angry enough haha

Cheers

Thanks Dan!!

Been working on the beard for a few months now!! Still have to catch up for that beer!

I'm up at work, but looking at your recipe, roughy, i'd say your only going to get like 4.5% maybe? You said some of your final gravity's were lower than expected compared to brewmate? Did you mean original gravity's? Like just before you pitch the yeast?

If it was me I wouldn't waste your precious grains. Maybe whack another 500g of dex in and maybe 500g of DME or another can of LME? on top of the recipe you have above.

That'll up your alc. %. I'd say your colour will be pretty light with those ingredients. US-05 will let the hops come through nicely though.

You could up your yeast count and pitch 2 dry packs as well.

Cheers
Matty.

The Og usually works out to be around what brew mate predicts but the FG , after fermentation , is some where around the 1.008 / 1.005 mark

brew mate says
Original Gravity (OG): 1.054 (°P): 13.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol (ABV): 5.64 %

Dont have another can on hand or any dme either .......got extra dextrose though and dont mind using the grain
Might make it up to a kg of dextrose and use 2 kg of the ale malt

Well if your hitting those numbers, the recipe should be fine if you want it at ~5.6%.

If the yeast is attenuating slightly more for you and your consistently getting lower FG's than brewmate says,
then your going to get slightly higher alcohol content.

In that case if you push up the dex to 1kg and add another 1kg of grain its going to go pretty high!
Give it a whirl and see what happens.

Cheers
Matty.

Not sure if you can do it in brewmate but see if you can adjust the attenuation of your yeast settings up in your recipe a little bit. Might make it a bit more accurate.

Yeah brewmate says that it will be 8.03% with a kg of dex and 2kg of pale malt , dont think I want it that high

Ill use 1.5kg of ale malt and only use 300gm of dex ... brew mate says it will be about the same as 1kg of malt and half kg of dex , 5.6% , but the balance an BU:GU ratio look better

You can change the attenuation % on brew mate , I change it from 75% to 80% for us05 yeast to get a FG of 1.007
bumps the % up to 6.24 ...... ill just water down the wort in the fermenter to get a lower OG

Cheers for the advice Matty , im off to brew it now ..... by the time I finish it will be beer o'clock

Should be a nice beer with a bit of kick!!

Let us know how it turns out!

Cheers Matty.

Pitched yeast on 5/7 , made a 20ltr brew ended up with a OG of 1.052 at 25 deg c
Tested today got 1.008 at 15 deg c , decided that was enough

Fermenter stayed around the 15 - 17deg mark

Kegged up waiting to be gassed and tested .....

Had a taste and it isnt that bad ..... looks a little light in colour but

Cheers :) Spohaw

Update ........ not to bad .. from what I got from it was .........its a nice easy to drink session type pale ale with bittering coming through late and light malt with a subtle hop flavor in the fore , aroma is weakish with no type of hop or malt being dominant

It isnt really what I have been drinking lately but for a session ale its something you could drink a lot of in one sitting i think , friends I have who drink carlton dry would drink this without whinging much

all in all its not to bad but I have found it tastes better when I pour it and hold it in my hands and warm it up a smidge ( I have turned my fridge as far as it can go down already)

next time I make this I will put another 20 odd grams of amarillo , 5gm of cascade and 5gm of simcoe in for dry hopping , just to get a decent aroma

now I have my grain mill and brew pot Ill be making it with grains .... no cans ;)

I have made 2 allgrain brews already ( an ESB and a APA ) and have definitely caught the bug ..... just need a burner and stand now so it doesnt take 2 hours to get to a boil on the stove top , plus dont think the stove likes all that weight

Anyway heres a pic 6 days after carbing

lme-brew.jpg

Cheers :D Spohaw :chug:

You answered your own question - don't drink beer freezing cold and you'll taste it better.

I will dry hop today in the keg

How long should I leave it before drinking (guessing a week but would prefer sooner ...haha )?

Thanks

Cheers for the help... I chucked 20 gms of amarillo and 15 gms of simcoe in a hop ball then chucked that into the keg

Didnt use cascade , I dont have alot of that left and want to save what I have for another brew

:chug: Spohaw

Had a few last night and the first couple had a fair amount of hop floaties but after that there wasnt so much

Its a little more cloudy then it was before but the aroma is 10 times better ... and flavour has increased a heap , seems it got a little bit more bitter as well which is a good thing

All in all it has improved a hell of a lot :beerbang:

Could maybe use a little wheat or carapils next time for a better head

apa.jpg

Cheers :chug: Spohaw

Latest posts

Back