Waimea

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just tapped a keg of Waimea American Wheat:

45% JW Wheat
45% JW Pils
10% Best Vienna

Waimea @ 15 to 25 IBU
Waimea dry hop 2 days 1g/l

Almost all pineapple, maybe a hint of melon, but nothing intense despite no crystal in the bill and pretty late hopping.

I would say it's unique, I haven't had tried a hop that has had a pineapple flavour before, quite enjoyable.

stakka82 said:
Just tapped a keg of Waimea American Wheat:

45% JW Wheat
45% JW Pils
10% Best Vienna

Waimea @ 15 to 25 IBU
Waimea dry hop 2 days 1g/l

Almost all pineapple, maybe a hint of melon, but nothing intense despite no crystal in the bill and pretty late hopping.

I would say it's unique, I haven't had tried a hop that has had a pineapple flavour before, quite enjoyable.
What yeast Stakka?

I've started on a series of brews that aren't quite SMaSH's in that I'm going with a grist of 90% Pale Ale, 5% Light Crystal and 5% Carapils, and using a single hop, changing each brew, in order to experience different hops. My first batch was with Waimea, which I tapped the keg last night. I've got to say that I agree with a lot of the posts in this thread that say it is a little underwhelming. I went with 1g/L @ 60min and 1g/L cube hopped. I meant to dry hop with 1g/L as well but forgot so may chuck that in the keg as I'm getting very little to no aroma, and not a massive amount of flavour. I must say the bittering has come through nicely, but it is lacking a bit at the back end. The dominant flavour I'm getting is pine, with a faint sweetness that is hard to describe. As we all know, the first beer of the keg can be quite different to the last, so I'll be interested to see how it progresses.

Wasn't sure which thread to necro, so chose this one for it's title and location.

Over on http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/71558-waimea-hops-any-experiences-to-share/ there was some mention of the way this hop can change character. I also note Nick's (RIP) messages early in this thread - to paraphrase "if it was really that good then there would be a lot more talk about it" etc etc. I am a lover of big trendy hops like citra, so I tend to agree.

Anyway, I'm smacking out a brew tomorry using Waimea and Mosaic.

OG 1.053, 35 IBU

%85 Vienna
%10 JW trad (ran out of Vienna!)
%5 Biscuit

200gms of waimea and mosaic (in total) hop burst every few mins from around 25 mins on.

I always get a lot of sweetness from mosiac, like it emphasises a very sweet fruity lolly smell on my palate (I've given up the poetic descriptors, I don't eat enough fruit to know tangello from melon), so I'm hoping waimea will complement it with some earthiness, pine, but still with some fruit etc.

Any recent feedback on waimea or how this combo might work (from hands-on experience) would be appreciated. :kooi:

Latest posts

Back