Waimea

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kohatu isn't anything special unless you are looking for something extremely neutral - it excels at that.

I'll be waiting for feedback before I buy this one after reading Kohatu's blurb and realising it was "moderately overhyped".

There is only 1 way to order this. 500g at a time. On my next order :)

does anyone have any feedback on these hops ?

even if you havent brewed with them yet, what do they smell like fresh ?

similar to anything ?

smelled wiked, like a mix of c hops and amarillo or something... kind of hard to describe but smelled delish.

:icon_cheers:

How did I guess Goomba what your hop bill would be with this one! Reports please :p

An APA, something like:

25L

5kg Ale malt (Perle)
.3 Heritage Crystal
.2 Red Wheat

15ibu at 30m waimea,
20ibu of waimea with a mix of galaxy and centennial at 10m

Us05 (or use my free yeast voucher for 1272).

Hope this helps, Rowy :D

Goomba

I received my order today. Does anybody have taste notes or have reports to offer yet?

Daz

I'll do one with earlier bittering additions Wallace next weekend and we shoudl swap a couple and compare.

I'll shoot you a PM when I'm done. :icon_cheers:

I received my order today. Does anybody have taste notes or have reports to offer yet?

Daz

Got a brew in the fermenter only yesterday. Same malt bill as Ross's NS Summer Ale (AKA Wallace's Waimea Summer Ale... :p ), and have an AIPA in a cube and a whole packet of them was thrown in after 25mins in 3 stages (Includes a small boil pre-ferment, cube and dry hops)

I'll shoot you a PM when I'm done. :icon_cheers:

Got a brew in the fermenter only yesterday. Same malt bill as Ross's NS Summer Ale (AKA Wallace's Waimea Summer Ale... :p ), and have an AIPA in a cube and a whole packet of them was thrown in after 25mins in 3 stages (Includes a small boil pre-ferment, cube and dry hops)

So what were youre impressions Wallace? Surely youve had a sly taste. C'mon you can tell us. We wont dob. ;)
Rowy? Hows yours going?
Goomba? any feedback?
Daz

So what were youre impressions Wallace? Surely youve had a sly taste. C'mon you can tell us. We wont dob. ;)
Rowy? Hows yours going?
Goomba? any feedback?
Daz

Still tastes too wort-ish/sweet to get anything just yet. But smelled AMAZING in the boil. I "accidentally" bought 2 packs as i thought they were only 5.something% AA NOT 15%

Are there any more updates on this hop?

Ross, have you brewed with them now and if so what do you think of them, are they similar to anything else?

Ive got one in the fermenter, a day or two away from cold conditioning. Recipe is page 191, post #3807 in What Are You Brewing III.

At the moment it tastes very much like my Motueka beers.
Hopping schedule is very similar to my Citra Ale which really kicks you in the ass, so went with that schedule to try on the Waimea.
The Waimea Ale has got solid bittering, but i cant make much out flavourwise though. Almost zero aroma. I cube hopped 10g into the fermenter. Next time will do more. Much more. Or dry hop instead....
Just wanted to get two brews out of a single packet so i can knock out another one very soon.
May have to rejig the recipe and push some additions a little later.

The Waimea Ale has got solid bittering, but i cant make much out flavourwise though. Almost zero aroma.

Oh. I did a Citra recipe and subbed out the Citra for Kohatu when it came out and got nothing in the way of flavour or aroma compared to the same amount of Citra.

Keep the feedback coming though.

Oh. I did a Citra recipe and subbed out the Citra for Kohatu when it came out and got nothing in the way of flavour or aroma compared to the same amount of Citra.

Keep the feedback coming though.

Yeah, its interesting. I dont understand all the different oil values/types and what will create flavour vs aroma vs bitterness but i find Citra a really flavourful hop that is smooth on the bittering. Id put Nelson in that same category too (if used carefully).
But so far im finding the Waimea less so. Id put Motueka in a group with the Waimea as far as this aspect goes.

Waimea bittering in my sample seems very nice, but im not picking up much flavour, and almost no aroma. Ive got some left, so im seriously thinking about dry hopping it too.

That means my recipe is

10g at 40mins
25g at 20mins
10g into the cube
20g dry hopped.

We have been producing single hopped, single grain bitters for the handpumps around Brisbane under the "Golden Bitter" moniker
The latest uses Waimea & will be kegged Wednesday week. Will give feedback once kegged & should be on handpump at The Scratch shortly afterwards...

cheers Ross

Thanks for the feedback.

I was more worried about using too much but it sounds like that won't be a problem.

I am going to try for 18L @1050
60 min northern brewer bittering
10 min 30g Waimea
0 min 30g Waimea
Dry hop 30g Waimea
very similar to what i do with US hops in an APA.

Latest posts

Back