Waggle Dance Anyone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dans6401

Reaction score
Hi,
Have been looking to make a brew similar to young's waggle dance. Can not seem to find much info on it.
Maris Otter pale ale malt, torrified barley, crystal malt and Fuggles and East Kent Goldings hops, honey and fermentation sugar??????
Sort of new to this, have started doing a couple of biab's, so i have no idea about the amounts needed, hop additions, best yeast etc. Anyone brewed anything like this who could offer a bit of advice it would be much appreciated.

I would also be interested in such a recipe, unfortunately I am still relatively new to AG (via BIAB).

The only things that I can think of are:
- to have a lighter hop flavour (using Fuggles and EKG)
- should we be using a eucalypt based honey? I have heard and read that this is bad for mead due to undesirable flavours.
- about 500g of honey?

:icon_cheers:
-EK

The only things that I can think of are:
- to have a lighter hop flavour (using Fuggles and EKG)
- should we be using a eucalypt based honey? I have heard and read that this is bad for mead due to undesirable flavours.
- about 500g of honey?

-EK
[/quote]
500g would've been my guess for a 23L batch, although from the little info i could find i got this-
"there is half a ton of honey in every 100-barrel batch. The beer is made from more than 20% honey, less than 80% barley malt"
Personally i'd probably steer clear of the eucalypt honey and go with capilano or something along those lines.

500g would've been my guess for a 23L batch, although from the little info i could find i got this-
"there is half a ton of honey in every 100-barrel batch. The beer is made from more than 20% honey, less than 80% barley malt"
Personally i'd probably steer clear of the eucalypt honey and go with capilano or something along those lines.
Wouldn't Capilano honey have a significant eucalypt content?

Just looking on their site:
Capilano's Australian premium honey is a pure blend of eucalypt and ground flora honeys rich in character and flavour.

EK

Wouldn't Capilano honey have a significant eucalypt content?

Just looking on their site:

EK
Orange Blossom or Clover Honey would be a good bet. Check out your local market or else health food store if Woolies/Coles/etc. doesn't have it.
Macadamia is another good one to get if you can.
I've used Leatherwood but that isn't to everyone's taste.

These are all general beer and honey tips rather than specific to cloning Waggle Dance. Any of those first three would be a good choice for that though I think. I doubt WaggleDance uses Macadamia but it would work as a honey in a clone nevertheless...

dont forget white box. Its really nice

Thanks for the replies,
After a little more searching found out that they use mexican honey?????? Maybe i was on the wrong track but was thinking any honey would do the trick as long as it's not too strong with it's own flavours. The problem seems to be (i think) i know the ingredients but have no idea about amounts etc.... Surely one of you brew masters out there have an opinion.

Now why didn't that link come up when I googled "Waggle Dance clone"? Anyhow, thanks for the link bc, I like the look of that clone and may just do that one soon...perhaps with 750g of honey.

EK
I didn't either at first...
So I went to the site and searched it.
Easy, but of course you have to know the site to visit in order to be narrowing your search...

Latest posts

Back