Waeco Cool Ice As Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewn00b

Reaction score
Hi,
Was wondering if anyone has converted one of these waeco cool ice coolers into a mash tun? http://www.waeco.com.au/products5.asp?id=3...mp;subCatId2=55
I can pick up a 55l one down the road for about the same price as the 60l techni ice delivered. Main questions about them would be if they warp much with heat or if fitting a ball valve etc to the bung is easy without modification.
If i spend that much on an esky I don't trust my drilling skills on it:)

Haven't tried that one but I'm looking at getting something similar. I've got a cheap esky with fairly thin plastic on the inside and I've used it only about 10 times so far and its warped a fair bit. You want something with a thick inner layer, which I'm sure this one would.

I would say you are still better off drilling into it with a hole saw, you get a fairly clean cut that way. Then install a threaded tube with nuts and washers on either end. It would be better than using the existing bung.

brewnOOb,
I use a 70 litre techni ice, and i am really happy with it. It can revert back to an eski very quickly, so serve a duel purpose. I do triples in this setup.

Tony

brewnOOb,
I use a 70 litre techni ice, and i am really happy with it. It can revert back to an eski very quickly, so serve a duel purpose. I do triples in this setup.

Tony

Tony,
Were you able to set up the plumbing without needing to drill a hole or did you drill a hole for it?
Cheers

the techni ice has a very large bunghole. cut the grate out of the bung hole and fit your ball valve.

Bunnings sell the 50l eskys for about 100.

Ebay is your friend for cheap esky/ice boxes

Back