Vue De Monde Finally Gives Beer The Kudos It Deserves

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler
Reaction score
Some of you may be interested in this:

http://www.vuedemonde.com.au//the-restaura...il.aspx?view=85

Anyone who's been lucky enough to go to vue de monde (great food) would know how average their beer list is. A special event in march might be the beginning of that changing.

I'm considering going if I can save funds. Usually out of my budget range but we'll see.

Been twice, once late last year, and also last Thursday :)

The beer list is terrible. The only one drinkable on there from memory (I didn't even bother looking last Thursday) was Duval, the rest being the staples - Cascade light, VB, Crown and Stella.

I saw this, but have no-one to go with... It looks interesting, and like they put a little more thought into it than "lager with fish, stout with steak". The price looks reasonable too (compared to their main restaurant, at least, which while worth every penny is DAMN expensive)

80 bucks aint cheap, although it aint expensive either.

would be interesting although i can smell the demographic of attendees already. <_<

I'd be more excited if it wasn't pretty much all beers I can get at Dan Murphy's.

I'd be more excited if it wasn't pretty much all beers I can get at Dan Murphy's.

Yep agreed, looks a little too Belgio/Franco orientated when there are plenty of Ozzie offerings they could've put on there as well.

would be interesting although i can smell the demographic of attendees already. <_<
I read "informal" as meaning "shorts and wife-beater" :)

@bum - I hear that and agree 100%. Vue De Monde prides itself on getting obscure ingrediants, wines, etc, so it's disappointing. The beers they have listed are far from ground breaking, and the matches are still pretty conservative (at least on paper - can't really say without trying the food as well!). Compared to the beers on their regular list though, it's a huge step forward. Even if there is still a long way to go.

I'd be there with bells on if I wasn't in the middle of vintage.

Still I am going to try and push the envelope and fly down for this.

Vue du Monde is worth it.

Yep agreed, looks a little too Belgio/Franco orientated when there are plenty of Ozzie offerings they could've put on there as well.

From what I've observed, french restaurants tend to have more french stuff than normal restaurants do :icon_cheers:

But seriously timmermans... :S

Looks like pretty good value to me.

But seriously timmermans... :S
Sorry to move OT, but what's wrong with Timmermans? I've only had their Gueuze Lambic and I loved it. Admittedly, it's the only beer of that style I've had, but a good beer is a good beer IMO, "style" be damned... Or is it because it is a Framboise? I've only had the Floris Framboise and yeah, that went to the wife...

And I lol'd @ the French restaurant comment BTW :)

Shit i wish i was going to melbourne in march and not june. I went there last time i was in melbourne and highly recomend the place, very good food and service. You just have to save up your pennys for a while. But his dinner looks like good value. Ohh well enjoy everyone who is going.

80 bucks aint cheap, although it aint expensive either.

Live in Perth for a while and you'll see it differently. Standard procedure over here when entering restaurants is to greet the Maitre D', drop your trousers and grip your ankles.

$80 looks like a bargain from the other side of the continent. Pity I'll be over there a month too late.

While I appreciate the effort that is obviously going into this and the attempt at showcasing beer in this environment I can't help but feel that they haven't chosen the right beers. For a start they are all Belgian styles (which I love but there is so much more). Secondly, they are mostly easily available examples of their style of which there are better examples available (Why Leffe? Why Chimay? Timmermans FFS?). Third, it's being held in Cafe Vue. While I know that to hold it in Vue itself or even Bistro Vue would make it a very expensive proposition, I can't help but feel that if you actually want to show that beer is a serious alternative to wine, that you should showcase it in what is arguably the best restaurant in the country rather than its little cousin.

Sorry to move OT, but what's wrong with Timmermans? I've only had their Gueuze Lambic and I loved it. Admittedly, it's the only beer of that style I've had, but a good beer is a good beer IMO, "style" be damned... Or is it because it is a Framboise? I've only had the Floris Framboise and yeah, that went to the wife...

And I lol'd @ the French restaurant comment BTW :)

I'm just not a huge fan of their sweetened beers (like the framboise) that was my only meaning.

No harm meant :icon_chickcheers:

I reckon $80 for matched 5 courses with beer is great value, if it was held a vue de monde, i guarantee they would not be charging $80. Good on them for doing something like this while keeping it accessible price wise.

Q

No harm meant :icon_chickcheers:
Never thought there was harm meant just curious is all :)

Framboise though... Meh. I reckon with a chocolate souffle a nice big RIS. Or even something like the Unibroue Trois Pistoles - something with vinous and/or spicey flavours. Matching to a fruit beer like that just seems so... easy. But I don't want to sound negative. I still think it's great that restaurants are doing stuff like this.

I reckon $80 for matched 5 courses with beer is great value, if it was held a vue de monde, i guarantee they would not be charging $80. Good on them for doing something like this while keeping it accessible price wise.
Spent $600 the other night. That was their bells and whistles degustation @ $250 a head, plus I had 3 glasses of wine. The missus is up the duff so she settled for lemon lime & bitters for the evening... Yeah, they're dear. But worth every penny :)

Live in Perth for a while and you'll see it differently. Standard procedure over here when entering restaurants is to greet the Maitre D', drop your trousers and grip your ankles.

$80 looks like a bargain from the other side of the continent. Pity I'll be over there a month too late.

So true.....

You probably have.... try Jacksons in Highgate best fine dine value in Perth!

Spent $600 the other night. That was their bells and whistles degustation @ $250 a head, plus I had 3 glasses of wine. The missus is up the duff so she settled for lemon lime & bitters for the evening... Yeah, they're dear. But worth every penny :)

What recession? :icon_drunk:

It is a modern French restaurant.

@Bum - it's not just the beers (although my local DM's doesn't stock any kind of flanders or lambic) - it's the match of the beers with what really is exquisite food. Vue de monde food is worth eating anyway. Good beer pairing is just an incentive.

I guess my main point is more about the profile they themselves will give to good beer. They have a wine list as long as your street but the beer list is pathetic. Hopefully this indicates a new trend in how beers are perceived.

It's just a beginning hopefully. A 5 course meal of food cooked by any of Bennet's staff is worth $80.

I understand your point and I also understand that the restaurant is very good (never been however). Just suggesting that the beer menu (and not mentioning but feeling that the dinner menu) aren't enough to get me off my arse. A blonde with seafood? A brown with roast lamb? Anything with cheese? Eh. I'll have mine and stay home, thanks. Maybe go to Vlado's instead (shit beer there, of course).

I do hope it goes well and attitudes are changed but I'm not going to hold my breath. I reckon you'd have more chance of things changing with the whole gastro-pub thing that was supposed to be running rampant by now but never really took off.

Press club has a great beer menu.

I think the food menu looks pretty good myself. Don't forget wine is included so the value seems ok to me. I say this as someone who is poor most weeks and is well capable of cooking for himself. Generally I'd prefer pizza and beer at bar fred (a lot of stuff there you won't find at DM's) or beer and goat curry at chez manticle but once in a while I like to branch out.

Back