Volume Of Brew Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregs

Kevs nude brewing bothers me!
Reaction score
I have been brewing for a number of years with kits & liquid malts ect;I arrived at a fermentation volume of 60 litres because this seems to be a nice volume for producing 3 x 19 litre kegs leaving some of the volume for settling out, and it's an easy volume to handle. Now I would like to take the first steps into an all grain brewing set up. Now! my question to you all is; if you were starting over again would you be happy with the size of your set up or would you prefer to automate at greater or lesser volumes than you originally started with?

I am probably one of the few brewers here that have scaled back rather than increased batch size. These days I brew 17L batches. Mainly because its perfect for ESB cubes (no chill) and is also around the volume of a single corny. I can imagine when/if I ever get more stretched for time I would be keen to increase to double batches. My system can do up to 34L (2X17L cubes) happily. This is fine for what I'm after, as it gives me the option of doing a double batch even though I rarely do it.

Gregs

I'm producing 45 litre brews or easier put 2 x 19 litre kegs after fermentation. To be honest with you I only do this due to time constraints. Personally unless you're drinking heaps or stuck for brewing opportunties single batches provide you with variety.

I find with most batches that I'm a little over the beer in question by the time I'm on the second keg. If I had plenty of time I'd just be doing 23 litre batches.

That being said its always better to have a setup that can enable you a larger brewlength because you've got the flexibility to do large or small batches.

Warren -

have a look in gear and equpiment.
For a 60L batch you need a minimum 80L kettle.

It all comes down to space, money and time.

To your question. I have a 19L & a 70L kettle but yet to make a 50 litre batch.
Nothing wrong to go big straight way.

you seldom downsize when brewing

You're not alone, T.D. That's what's happened to me as well. I mainly go for a full cube (sometimes a 20L one) with double batches being very much the exception. But it's good to have the flexibility to go bigger batches. If you are happy with 60L batches now, I'd make sure you can do a bit bigger batches than that when you switch to AG.

Greg, I do 60l batches all the time and Im happy with it.

But I gotta say, that is the maximum I can handle. The pots are very heavy and its a pain in the arse to lift them for cleaning.
I would not tend to go bigger batches, 60l is just fine, 3 x 19l kegs and a few litres of wort to freeze for yeast starters. Thats it.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

I do 40 litre batches and am happy with that. As warren said sometimes you are getting over ther beer by the time you get to the second keg. Thats when I normally mix it up with a different yeast or dry hop the fermenter. As I dont have a heap of spare time I do double batches producing 80 litres. That way I only set up and clean once and I can start the mash while brew 1 is boiling.
If you drink a lot of the same beer than doing large batches is fine. Personally I like to do a lot of different beer styles so I wouldn't go bigger than 40l.

Kabooby :icon_cheers:

Currently like others who have replied I'm doing double batches of the regular beers (2 x 17 litre cubes), and 1 x 22 litre cube for experimental or bigger beers, all using a 50 litre kettle, 50 litre mashtun and 30 litre HLT.
However I'm scaling up, to be able to do triple batches of the regular beers, and some bigger beers if so inclined. I've now got 50 litres or HLT (a 30 & a 20), an 80 litre kettle, and I'm in the process of sorting out a 70-80litre mashtun.
Keep in mind I swing for a higher gravity into the cube and dilute for fermentation.

Beers,
Doc

50 litre hlt , mash tun and boiler , so about 40 litres is my capability if required

I brew 25L batches, which with trub loss and all the rest ends up with 19L into the keg. I've got no desire to increase my batch size. If I want more beer I do a double brewday. With a bit of planning it results in another 25L in batch in about 2hrs extra. Variety is the spice of life. Spend your money on making your brewing as easy as possible.

Build a setup that will cope with your demand.
E.G your current setup is 60l or 3 kegs. If that lasts you 3 weeks or 6 weeks would you have the time available to brew every 1 to 2 weeks to keep up with demand with a small setup.

Also make note when you go AG there are so many styles and recipes and when you hit the right ones for your taste they seem to not last very long.

I do single batches (up to 21 litres) for experimental brews.

For old faves, I do either 34 L (2x17 L cubes) or 38 L (17 plus 21) depending on cube availability.

I'm currently using a 80ltr HLT, 50ltr Tun and a 100ltr kettle. I tend to do 40 - 50lrt batches but do 23ltr brews from time to time if it's a un-tried brew.

I make 25 litre batches because I prefer variety. 25 litres gives me a keg plus a few swingtops to take out and enough for some starters if I need to. The only time I do double batches is if I brew with a mate and we split it, but I guess it would be handy for comparing yeasts and fermentation conditions if you wanted to do that.

I've recently gone down to 17L batches

Basically add top up water to make up to keg volume

I prefer variety over quantity

I do 2 batches in one session which takes me just under 6 hours

My system will cope with up to about 40L

Cheers

Now! my question to you all is; if you were starting over again would you be happy with the size of your set up or would you prefer to automate at greater or lesser volumes than you originally started with?

I started with a 75l esky & a 100l pot. The esky was old to start with & i have now retired it, but haven't yet made a new one which has meant I've been using my 200l mash tun lately which isn't good as there is too much headspace for a double batch. I started out doing double batches - cause it takes the same time & I get 2 cubes that I can either use different yeasts or store 1 for later on.

Lately I've been doing triple batches for the same reasons. It is great to have a variety of cubes on hand & be able to say - I haven't tried 1 of those for a while, what yeast can I use... I recently fermented a cube that we made on the ISB big brewday in May 07 - bloody good it was too :icon_cheers: .

Now i just need to spend some time in the shed building the new tun with all the bits i've collected. It will be about 60-80l I think - better measure that:)

So to answer your question, I'm happy with the size i've got (lets see what comments that brings :lol: ) my brewery is very manual with no automation as the hands on is one thing I really enjoy. I have also built a 200l tun & have a 180l pot for brew days with ISB - cause the 75l tun & 100l pot weren't big enough for that.

My system is 50ltr HLT, 50ltr MASH, 50ltr Boil (typical converted keg set up)
i mainly do 25ltr batches 1xkeg + stubbies (stubbies for byo events)
but for not anymore effort i can do 40ltr batches 2xkegs + stubbies of favourites or if i no ive got a party at my place comming up. (some how most forget to bring beer to my parties these days). :icon_cheers:

I do 40lt batches - 55lt HTL, 36lt Mash Tun and 55lt kettle. This works well for me.

I honestly can't understand the guys that normally do say 40lt batches but when they are doing experimental ones only do, say 22. It takes the same amount of time and only a few dollars etc (no extra yeast if starter is made etc)

I just cant bring myself to brew a lesser amount. If variety is what you are after - you just have to drink a bit quicker :ph34r: (or invite your mates or neighbours over to help you empty a keg!)

Cheers :beer:

Shonky (who hasn't yet passed his responsible serving of alcohol course)

Back