Voip Internet Phone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satchmo

Reaction score
I had a thought that maybe we can hook up a conference or two. Maybe even internationally.
My plan is on skype so all calls to other skype members is free any where in the world.

Is there any gurus amongst us that can shed more light on the subject?

Food for thought .... Global realtime beer discussions. :D

I had suggested something similar using google talk which is free and only requires a mic and speakers/headphones, however there would be some draw backs as it is really only designed for 1 on 1 calls.

Being a gamer, Ventrillo or Team talk would be the natural choices as they are more organised with seperate chat rooms and only allowing one person to speak at a time. Though someone would have to setup a server for this (something I could do if there was the interest).

skype works with just a mic/speaker/headphones-free
not bad calls to 56k users either - if they're not downloading stuff at the time

Skype does look pretty good (multi platform, supports conference calls, no servers to setup). Though I still like the chat like environment of Vent or Team Talk.

Vent runs on Windose and Macintrash
Teamtalk is more multi platform.

teamtalk
http://www.bearware.dk/

Vent
http://www.ventrilo.com/

It is the ability to use multiple channels that is attractive.

edit:
I've only used Vent for gaming and it works well chatting to team members from Oz, Canada and the US whilst playing WOW. With the multiple channels gamers who wanted to engage in idle chit chat could in one channel, whilst others group could use other channels for enhancing the gaming experience.

bummer, vent needs min 1G
i'm running , ahem, 450mhz :blink:
edit - and no mac support for teamtalk :(

tangent said:
bummer, vent needs min 1G
i'm running , ahem, 450mhz :blink:
edit - and no mac support for teamtalk :(
[post="101219"][/post]​

Whoops, forgot that gamers tend to have higher end machines.

and you're correct TT only has a client for Windose. :(

my 450 cranks through age of empires :)

I can't comment on the others but I have used GoogleTalk and Skype for similar things. In my experience Skype really falls apart after 4 or more users. I have found GoogleTalk much better but it still starts to struggle as the numbers climb. You can make GoogleTalk with multiple users. I'm not sure if this has been included as part of the official client but there is a hack for it.

Have used teamspeak extensively and it works very well.

What you guys planning on talking about ?

nonicman throw up a server and we can test it if you want.

I cant run a server from here (work) ports are blocked.

Oh and teamspeak supports Win/Mac and Linux :)

i look it up and type it here - Reinheitsgebot, caduceus :)

BennyBrewster said:
nonicman throw up a server and we can test it if you want.

I cant run a server from here (work) ports are blocked.

Oh and teamspeak supports Win/Mac and Linux :)
[post="101234"][/post]​

I was thinking of using one of the public Vent servers and stumping up the $20 per month. Running a server from my home network would get in the way of my gaming, downloading and work, that's just going to happen :).

They have test servers so maybe that would be the way to test it out. I have no idea what we would talk about (have to be beer related).

What games do you play ?

I will play with some routers and see if I can get a server up.

Latest posts

Back