Violence In Pubs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting thread, I have not seen the inside of a club for probably 10 years. The place i frequent has clean bathrooms, the music is as i choose, the beer is great, the company is great (wife and kids) and the location is my verandah :lol: . I cant see the point of queing up to pay big dollars for crap beer with the (remote) possablity of a fight thrown in.

OK showing my age here but drugs have to be a complicating factor. When I was young it was beer and pot, none of that weird Genitically modified stuff either.

yes, which are not ecstasy. mdma

Fair call, in hindsight they were probably badly cut with god knows what.....

These days I rarely go out to drink, we might as a family goto the local for lunch twice a month and have schooner while we are they, but otherwise I'd rather sit here and drink my own.

Dunno, but i'd get mighty stroppie paying $7, 8, 9, $10 for a Corona ...

Hhehe,

Actually I have never had a fight in my 44 years. I prefer to use evidence and reasoned debate.
I feel sorry for those "brainless" individuals that need to resort to violence or threats to make themselves heard (feel important).

cheers

Darren

You're shitting me...... Evidence... Reasoned debate... No fight... Maybe I have mixed you up with someone else.

The good old days of pub fights.These days it would seem a glass in the face is the favourite weapon of choice.What ever happened to a good fist fight and then a few beers afterwards.
Once were men i guess.

Cheers
Big D

Anyone else noticed an increaase in the levels and amounts of violence in pubs over the last 10 years?
A lot of this I think is being blamed on alcohol when there are a lot of other drugs involved.
It's all those chemicals and preservative they add to our beer!!!

Both. The older ones talk about how much worse the violence is and the newer ones talk about how much more of it there is.

I haven't seen any of this shit first hand - I pretty much only enter pubs to see original bands. There is NEVER any trouble at original gigs.

Fair enough.

I'm not sure if you've ever read any Cormack McCarthy or seen no country for old men but I tend to subscribe to the theory touted in some of his novels.

Obviously it's not evidence for something (Hey I read it in a novel it MUST be true) and neither is personal experience (at least not conclusively) but it goes along the lines of someone observing how much worse things are today (eg what's wrong with the world, it's going to the dogs etc) and an old timer pipes up with a story from 1922 that's just as dire, dark and screwed up. This stuff is always with us. There may be more incidents because as pointed out there are more people but I don't tink human nature is that different. Admittedly methamphetamines are far scarier than things like smack but I reckon just as many pissed footy heads who've been to the strippers will create problems as iceheads. I'd be more scared of a drunk or stupid showoff driver in my quiet suburban street than I would walking past goldfingers on a Saturday night.

It doesn't mean that both aren't a manace , though.

Nor does bad stuff happening in the past preclude things from being worse now.

I do agree with much of what you're saying, even though it does look like I'm arguing. I would say though, to anyone, that if you genuinely believe that people have as much respect for others as they might have in the past you're completely delusional - and this will obviously have dire effects in relation to escalating violence.

Anyone else noticed an increaase in the levels and amounts of violence in pubs over the last 10 years?
A lot of this I think is being blamed on alcohol when there are a lot of other drugs involved.

My answer is NO.

I arrived in Victoria to Mornington Peninsula 1987. The Vines in Frankston they used to brawl every friday and reports of glassing was common and the police frequently arrested people to release them 48 hour later as no charges were laid.

When I came to Sydney a couple of years later they use to brawl at my then Local Pub Como.
Though no report of glassing and only one on one and usually over a girl or a debt etc.

Nothing has changed in that regard it is just that it is happening more often and people are sueing each other or trying to make a quick buck by selling their stories.

Because their are more of us now, the chances that a fight will breakout is larger.
CCTV, Synthetic drugs, and a generation that was brought up on blood and guts Movies and television, that society is getting less compassionate every day has nothing to do with it. :blink:

Just make sure you pick a place with a tap that isn't known for obscene frequent violence.
If the bouncers are ugly, mean and unfriendly the place is most likely the same.
;)

I'd be very interested to find out which tracks of Bowie's you claim to be D&B.

Trip Hop is pretty far removed from D&B too (and exponentially better, especially in the case of Maxinquay).
As already mentioned, I was thinking of the Earthling album (hence the '97 date). Specifically, "Little Wonder" is pretty much classic D&B loops. I actually am one of the apparent minority who LOVED Earthling. I mean, who COULDN'T love a track like "I'm afraid of Americans".

I would put Trip-Hop and D&B under the general umbrella of "British Electronica", and they both feature electronic studio production driven tracks with use of sampled breakbeats and electronic instruments. They both grow out of a similar mindset towards music production in general, and most trip hop DOES feature an emphasis on beats and bass-lines along with repetition of particular loops and music themes. I'd say "conventional" D&B is a more club/dance driven, commercial style growing out of the whole "techno" scene, where "trip-hop" is more about chill-out, relaxed listening with a much more eclectic influence and willingness to borrow bits from just about anywhere/anything. (and yeah, it is exponentially better!)

Tricky played Sydney last year, but only one show! He HAS done some D&B like stuff too - think of "Lyrics of Fury", "Sex Drive", "The Moment I Feared" or "Tricky vs Lynx" (from Mission Accomplished") for example.

Bring back Jimmy Sharman I say (or any other travelling troupe of boxers)
Fair fisties in a tent where both your groups of mates can bet on you (or the other :p )
And if you really enjoy doing it you can make a living on the road

Also anyone remember the footy fight nights, where they encouraged fights off the field by allowing planned matches between any two players for all to see.

I reckon all kids should box at school, and into their early 20's. Blokes anyway (not trying to be sexist here). That way no-one has much to prove cos you all see each other in the ring anyway, and if you have a beef challenging to a proper boxing stoush is a far more manly thing to do than blind side some poor ******* a the pub.

I would put Trip-Hop and D&B under the general umbrella of "British Electronica", and they both feature electronic studio production driven tracks with use of sampled breakbeats and electronic instruments.

That is a very general umbrella. Throw in Drum 'n' noise, breakcore, jungle, breakbeat hardcore, idm and quite possibly some others into the mix.

Sorry about the massive tagent.

Or perhaps we could be civilised enough to not have to resort to violence???

I happily walk to work through some supposedly bad areas of the Inner West at 3am daily, I have never had an issue, that said most people fear a 190cm tall person walking at pace. Actually I lie, a punk arse kid tried to give me some shit one morning, I casually removed my headphones and asked if he preferred to be kicked in the face or the kidneys first, he actually ran off after that......I didn't think i was that god damn scary...

I'm not feeling D&B in Little Wonder. Sure, the snare line might technically be a breakbeat but it isn't the backbone of the song. The core is kinda ambient pads and industrial production.

I pretty much disagree with your lumping of D&B and Trip Hop. While both use breakbeats, trip hop is heavily based in hip hop and house while D&B is based more in acid house (in fact the only difference between early D&B and acid house was the use of breakbeats). Saying you'd put them in nearly identical baskets is only a step away from saying "it all sounds the same to me" which is only another small step away from "you call that noise music?!"

But I guess that's one of the beauties of music - we all can hear different things.

Jugs and glasses went plastic at the "Snake Pit" in a well known Pub in Auckland NZ back in the sixties. Also the stools were bolted to the floor. Traditional enemies of the South Pacific Islands and the local Maori population seemed to mix it periodically and the best method of defense was to slide around the walls to the nearest exit. Other than that it wasn't a bad watering hole. The bottom line is so long as there is a trigger mixed with drugs or alcohol violence will prevail.

:icon_offtopic:

Hardcore > Jungle > Drum n Bass. Nothing to do with trip hop, acid house or david bowie. Just ask pioneers like Goldie, Jumping Jack Frost, Grooverider or Peshay.

:icon_offtopic:
Acid house begat Hardcore begat Jungle begat Drum & Bass begat Speed Garage begat 2 Step begat Grime begat Dubstep...(begat Funky/Wonky house? :blink: :eek: )

All part of the same continuum. Throw in collaborations amongst the Bristol scene in the early nineties and it's not hard to draw a line between late trip-hop and early D&B either. (Roni Size, anyone?)

On Bowie, I remember my dad proudly showing me his David Bowie "jungle" album in '97. As a fan of the real stuff I didn't rate Bowie's effort but despite that remember thinking at the time it was rather innovative... I shouldn't imagine it stands the test of time, though...

Back