Vinyl planks or laminate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaeld16

Reaction score
Somewhat beer related in that if I can keep my wife happy then I can brew. Looking at doing the floors in our lounge, dining and kitchen and just wondering what poeples experiences with vinyl planks and floating floors are as far as durability mainly. Not worried about instalation both options are within my abilities. I do like the look of laminate but having spent quite a few yrs as a contractor going in and out of peoples homes I have walked on a lot of squeeky, creaky and bowed floors. This maybe due to inadequate expansion joints but my concern is moisture with 3 kids shit gets spilt, often. So hows everyone else's floor holding up

We had vinyl planks installed 18 months ago to replace a floating floor - the click together ones.

The previous floor was about 15 years old, noisy, cold and showing its age.

The vinyl planks can be replaced individually if there's a need - multiple children making constant mess here too. There're quieter and have a bit more give in them than the laminate floor.

They were my wife's idea so I also am allowed to continue brewing.

Kev

Agree with Wide Eyed, although the upfront cost is more, there is a much longer life with bamboo, and less concern with spilled liquids. With laminate the bottom of the board is either HDF or MDF and so any liquid will turn it into mush. With bamboo, it can be sanded back in 10-15 years and get another 15 years out of it.

Diesel80 said:
Big fan of direct stick vinyl planks here.
I agree 100% we just built a house and I put down the Nanotac Vinyl Planks and they are sensational easy to lay and look fantastic .Better than Laminate in my opinion as I have had both but don't know much about Bamboo.

I would attach photos if i could but won't work.

Norto.

foating bamboo flooring here
Did it ourselves and its relatively easy to lay and very durable and looks much better than laminate

But a couple of notes...
its relatively heavy so after a day of laying it you know why people pay others to do it
and
bamboo splinters hurt :)

Could all ways go tiles, I know it is a bit left of center but for durability you just can not go past. Timber look tiles have come so far in the last few years it is amazing.
At worst I would go a timber top floating floor, laminate is asking for trouble.

We've got tiles (I assume you mean ceramic, and not say cork)
Can't really hurt them unless you drop a cast iron pan (again... *sigh*)

But they're pretty hard on your feet.

Ducatiboy stu said:
These guys make very nice hardwood laminated flooring. It has a hardwood ply base and a skin of 4m hardwood veneer.
thats some very thick flooring ;)

We are just looking at new flooring as well.

Have got vinyl planks down at the moment that have been there for about 15 years. Very durable but are showing signs of wear in the way of scratched etc.
We are looking at some shiny laminate for about $40 a metre inc underlay but have reservations about using it in kitchens with the risk of water spillages. I am fairly sure any laminate would not look as good as our current floor after 15 years.

Would probably prefer hardwood or bamboo but its pricey.
Also looking at some big arsed tiles, like 600x600, that work out cheaper than the laminate we saw.

Still deciding to much choice to many things to think about gonna try and squeeze another brew out before wife cracks the shits and makes me decide

pcmfisher said:
We are just looking at new flooring as well.

Have got vinyl planks down at the moment that have been there for about 15 years. Very durable but are showing signs of wear in the way of scratched etc.
We are looking at some shiny laminate for about $40 a metre inc underlay but have reservations about using it in kitchens with the risk of water spillages. I am fairly sure any laminate would not look as good as our current floor after 15 years.

Would probably prefer hardwood or bamboo but its pricey.
Also looking at some big arsed tiles, like 600x600, that work out cheaper than the laminate we saw.
You could look at some of the timber plank tiles.

Stay away from any laminate flooring that uses MDF as its base, spill liquid on it and they swell and look like shiite.... I am actually surprised that insurance companies have not started writing exclusions on them and hence pushing them out of the market.

Back