Vintage Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
Coopers Brewery has released its 2011 Extra Strong Vintage Ale.

Launched today at a special event at the Coopers Alehouse in Adelaide, this limited release beer is the 11th vintage in the celebrated series.

Coopers Managing Director and Chief Brewer, Dr Tim Cooper, described the 2011 Vintage Ale as a rich and sensuous brew that pampered the senses.

As the cornerstone for this years brew, we have used choice premium South Australian barley grown in the pristine region of the Clare Valley, he said.

We have sourced the best available hops from around the world including Styrian Golding, Magnum and Perle from Europe, Amarillo from the USA and Nelson Sauvin from New Zealand.

The pronounced hop aroma and distinctive hop flavours derive from the complex balance achieved from these complementary hop varieties.

The beer can certainly be enjoyed now, and with careful cellaring the rounded, sweet caramel and toffee flavours will further develop with age.

Ill be on the look out for a few of these. Sounds tasty.

yeah I cracked a 2008 Wintage Ale a month ago and it still tasted great....... plus a fantadtic hit to the head !!!!!

5 eyes

Thanks for the heads up, this will prompt me to buy then now and cellar them, rather than buying them after having sat around in the bottlo for months.

Last time I bought Coopers Vintage, about 2 months ago, it was $65 a slab at 1st Choice.
Great I thought, they've reduced the price.

Then a week later it was back up to $85.
Damn, must have been on special :(

I've loved all the Vintage Ales I've tried over the years.
I'll certainly be looking out for this one.

Found some in my local over the weekend.
As always a great beer, but given the choice I prefer the 2010 vintage.

Happy Drinking

Im drinking Coopers Vintage 2011 right now.

I think its a nice beer, but as Joshua said... i also prefer the 2010 version. In my opinion 2010 might have been there best yet!?

Cheers!

Joshua.

knocked down a 2010 this afterdown, gotta say its the first 'darker' beer I have actually enjoyed.
and yes it hits you in the head, with no real warning, it doesnt feel that srong on drinking, no real warmth.
I think I will have to find some more to put away for a while and see how they go.

Vintage makes me laugh

We had it on tap at our local last year...most of the regulars had 3 schooners and ended up pissed as...

heheh 7% in a schooner drank at normal rates will screw you over... :icon_chickcheers:

And they wondered why it took me over 1/2hr to drink 1 schooner :icon_cheers:

Picked up a carton from 1st choice for $73. Will wait a few weeks before I crack one open.

Planning on opening a 6 pack every 6 months.

It may only be a Vic thing but BWS have 20% of all slabs at the moment, so grabbed 2 ads from the paper and headed to 1st Choice and Dans. Both stores have the Vintage for $70 a slab at the moment, so got them both down to $55.75 and $55 respectively. Dans are aware of the BWS offer and the manager came armed with a smug smile and a list of what BWS sells because Vintage isn't on it. Pulled out my 1st Choice receipt and asked him if he preferred me to go and spend my money there. He said no, and beat them by 75c! Wanker turned reluctant champion in .5 seconds. Its a good deal so get on it!

Anyway, as others have noted, I beleive the 2010 is a better beer, but perhaps this is an age thing? To me the 2011 tasted 'young' and all the elements were yet to harmonise, but it is a great drop regardless, will get better with age and if you can get it at $55 its an absolute bargain.

:icon_cheers:

Back