Viennese Mocha Stout- Spice beer recipe help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kierent

Reaction score
Hi all
I was recently flicking through a NZ brewing magazine in Queenstown airport and saw a recipe that I wanted to try so took a sneaky pic. I've got all my ingredients and know basically what I'm going to do but have a question about the addition of the coffee, cinnamon and chocolate. I've done plenty of BIAB brews but not done a stout before. I've attached the pic but the recipe is basically this with my additions or questions in italics:

OG- 1.062
FG- 1.016
IBU- 32
SRM/EBC- 30/60
%ABV- 6.3%

Mash: (couldn't find specified malts so replaced with what's in the brackets)
-5kg Briess Pale Ale malt
-450g Caramel 40L malt (replaced with Wyermann Caramunich II)
-450g Caramel 80L malt (replaced with Simpsons Crystal malt dark)
-225g Briess Carabrown Malt 55L (replaced with Simpsons Crystal malt medium)
-225g Briess Dark Choc Malt 400L (replaced with Simpsons Chocolate malt)
-225g Roast Barley 300L (replaced with Wyermanns carafa special 3 as it's de-husked)

Hop Schedule:
30g Centennial (10.5%) @ 60min.

Recommended Water Profile (ppm) I've never played with water chemistry and not sure how to get my water tested other than the Total alk and Cl which I can do with pool testing equipment??
Ca- 75-125
Mg- 20
Total Alk= 100 -150
SO4- 100-150
Cl- 100-150
RA- 50-100

Interesting it doesn't mention pH?

Spice Schedule: (this is the bit I'm not sure of)
-10g Ceylon cinnamon ground (stand time- add?)
-225g Cocoa powder (stand time- add?)
-225g coarse ground espresso- (stand time- 15)

So, with that spice schedule, I've been reading here https://byo.com/article/brewing-with-coffee/ and will add a cold steeped coffee in the secondary rather than using ground coffee in the boil to avoid excess bitterness. Not sure about the cinnamon and cocoa though? Would that be added at the end of the boil? Maybe it doesn't matter?

Interested to hear anyone's opinions and/or suggestions.
Thanks

Z4NcT7Ah.jpg

I've never played with water chemistry and not sure how to get my water tested other than the Total alk and Cl which I can do with pool testing equipment??

Just a hint. If you are on a reticulated water supply, you should be able to get an analysis of the water chemistry from the provider

WJ

You may have to get John Palmer latest edition of How To Brew and get the steps from it, from what I can see you add the cocoa powder, cinnamon and ground coffee at flame out and stand for 15 minutes.
You can get tannins from the coffee beans so you could cold steep for 24 hours then add the liquor at the end of boil. Or someone could have the book and photograph the steps for you.

Thanks gents. Yeah I’m going to leave the coffee till even later I think. I am in town supply so will look into water stats, but I also hav an under sink filter so that will change chlorides etc.

Finally got around to brewing this on Wednesday. All seemed to go well other than a small grain spillage from my BIAB bag. It just meant there were a few little grains floating around during the boil that I couldn't get rid of, but I don't think it should be enough to make a difference.

Looks and tastes great out of the kettle! OG was 1.063. Made a 3L starter and put it in the fermenter today. I added the cinnamon and cocoa at flameout and have about 600ml of cold brew coffee I'll add to the secondary in about 5 days.

I'll update as it goes.

Thanks pnorkle. I got the first page of the recipe on that link but couldn't see the recipe itself as it was only a sample of the book. All good though, I think I got pretty close and time will tell how it goes.

Hmm, that's odd, I get most of it with a few pages missing either side of the recipe.
I had planned on doing this one myself (as I mentioned,) got as far as weighing out my grains but no further.. will have to wait until next weekend.

I'm very interested to hear how it turns out

Edit: Bugger it, just bought the Kindle edition of this book - @ $13.34 you can't really go wrong.

Last edited:
Well, it worked out really well. At the end of fermentation it was a bit higher than I had hoped, probably more like 1.018 (aiming for 1.016), but the extra sweetness isn't a problem. Flavours are great, balance seems good to me.
I keg conditioned it for a month at room temp, and ended up leaving the coffee addition until after that step because I was concerned about adding any impurities while it was still conditioning or fermenting. I made 600ml of cold drip coffee and added it to the keg once it was conditioned and chilled in my beer fridge. Not an overly large coffee hit but you can definitely taste it.

At first I thought it was a bit sweet and the only change would be to try and get the final gravity lower with healthier yeast. But I did make a starter, so I'm not sure how I'd achieve that anyway. But it's grown on me anyway. I think it's pretty balanced and everyone who's tried it loves it. Even people who don't regularly drink dark beer. But it's not as heavy as some stouts I've had either.

Also I can't really taste the cinnamon, so if you were really after the full spiced mocha stout effect maybe double the cinnamon.

Back