Vienna

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drtomc

Fermentationist
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was recently given a bottle of the 3 Ravens Oktoberfest, and thought it was great. So I bought a copy of the Vienna book from the BA press. I notice that it doesn't mention using Vienna or Munich malts at all, and talks in terms of using Pils malt with dark crystal or black malt for colour. I also noticed that it was published 15 years ago.

I'm guessing the recipes are designed without ready availability of Vienna malt. Is this the case, or is it [again] the case that I just have no idea?

T.

would have to assume that it was a lack of availability of Vienna or Munich malts...not using those two for a Vienna or Okt for be a touch out of style. Not that they wouldn't be nice beers, but not Okts or Viennas.

I just made a double batch of Vienna yesterday T. 52% vienna malt. I followed the BJCP guidelines and I noted it said "lightly toasted notes from the use of vienna malt" or similar words. I achieved the desired color with Carafa spec I. Only about four or five weeks until I try it, can't wait! :drinks: Yes, I think you have some idea.....get some vienna malt.

But first I'll need to get a fridge for my fermenter, and before that a bigger house or fewer kids so I can fit it. :D

T.

Back