Vienna And Wheat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reviled

Reaction score
Hey guys, ive got a few kilos of aussie wheat and vienna malt that im keen to have a play with, allthough I havnt really brewed much with them before so would be good to hear some ideas on whats good to brew with them...

Im also keen for some feedback on this vienna/wheat pseudo lager thingy that ive come up with???

40% Vienna
30% Wheat
20% Pilsner
5% Munich II
4% Cara Munich II
1% Melanoiden - Ive got this in here to help the malt?? Not sure if it should be here or not tho really...

Thinking of a single bittering addition at 75 mins of something high alpha like nelson sauvin, columbus or maybe galaxy?? (the high aa hops I have atm) to get to around 30 odd IBU's, aiming for an OG of around 1054...

And then ill ferment as clean as possible with S-05

Any thoughts??

Cheers :icon_cheers:

theres a real simple Pale Ale on the Weyermann site with Vienna and CaraMunich ll which I'm keen to try.

it scales down nicely to 25l,
Amount Item Type % or IBU 5.00 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain 89.64 % 0.58 kg Caramunich II (Weyermann) (63.0 SRM) Grain 10.36 % 24.44 gm Chinook [13.00 %] (90 min) Hops 32.5 IBU 28.89 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 7.5 IBU 28.88 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -​

Looks ok, I think to get the most out of the Vienna to see its true colours id do away with the Munich as it will mask some of its characteristics. Vienna (i find) is quite a sweet flavoured malt. The breadyness of munich will overtake it slightly, not to mention the melanoiden doing the same thing. Depending on what kind of 'lager' you are after, you could even go something as simple as:

70% Vienna
30% Wheat

Especially considering you are hopping the arse out of it with NZ and AUS hops. Holgate brewery make their Pale ale with 100% Vienna and its fantastic. If you Make it with 6 malts, it will probabaly come out muddled and not showcase any of the vienna characteristics. If you want some crystal, you can always subout some % of the wheat for some crystal sweetness. Again, this will overtake the Vienna profile slightly. If you want it to stand out you have to treat it like any other base malt, keep it simple and a high % of the grist.

Just my thaughts.

Edit: Aslo as Glaab noted :)

Cheers guys, yeh I had thought of doing an all vienna ale but ive only got about 2.5-3kgs

I might do as you say tho 4star and drop the munich and melanoiden, maybe lower the caramunich ratio and up the pils or vienna...

Instead of Pils ill actually be using Global Koelsch malt, which is about 8 ebc, so i guess that will add a bit of character and malt sweetness as well...

Allrighty, revised version

2.2kg Vienna
1.35kg Wheat
765g Kolsch malt
135g CaraMunich II

60 - 18g Columbus 14.2%

US-05 fermented as close as possible to 16*c

Og - 1052 and 33 IBU's

What brand of Vienna Malt is it Reviled?

I scored 1/2 a sack of JW Vienna awhile back & made an IPA with 100% - way too sickly sweet IMO. From what I hear the Weyermann is a whole different story, but I have not used it in large %'s.

I scored 1/2 a sack of JW Vienna awhile back & made an IPA with 100% - way too sickly sweet IMO. From what I hear the Weyermann is a whole different story, but I have not used it in large %'s.

Thats interesting...

Its definately the weyermann stuff, for some reason we dont get any JW malts over here, which IMO is pretty silly seeing as we bring all this malt over from germany when we may not need to...

Got to agree about the JW Vienna. Not a good base malt IMO. As you say, far too sweet, almost cloying. Have never tried the Wey vienna but been meaning to give it a go at some point.

Back