Victoria's Secret: Where to buy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lb doesn't go so far with me. Just chopped up the bag (mmmmso much sticky goodness on the empty vac pac i want to boil it) into 50 gms to dry hop a cube of ipa that's ready for it and a quad batch of smash to try it out today...

Vic secret Smash (American Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.054 (°P): 13.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol (ABV): 5.66 %
Colour (SRM): 5.2 (EBC): 10.3
Bitterness (IBU): 37.4 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

100% Pale Ale Malt

2.1 g/L Victoria's Secret (17.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
1.2 g/L Victoria's Secret (17.2% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate
So that's a single addition of 180 gms at flameout (no chill) in an 84l batch and 100 gms over 4 cubes for dry hop.

Left me with a little vac pac of 120gms, lucky i bought another pound too.

No-chilled, remember.

If you're questioning the appropriateness of doing that rather than the possibility then please disregard.

If your questioning anything about it please go ahead. i'm learning to brew beer and can use all the help i can get.

My main love is hop flavour and aroma and i seem to get that without the massive bitterness with late additions. I have found that when i'm no chilling that my method of whirlpooloing, cubeing ect gives me an approximation of a 20 min addition bittering wise without the no chill button checked as it does at flameout with the button checked.

If there is something wrong with doing it that way, i'm honestly all ears.

The no chill thread is where this discussion sits best but yes, I am a little miffed as to why anyone thinks you could get 37 IBU from a flameout addition even with such a high AA% hop.

I've got a rye golden ale crash chilling at the moment using this hop and with a 15 min addition of 1.5g/L aiming for only 30 IBU it tastes about right. I also added a 2g/L flameout addition so only marginally less than Punkins. I did chill it (as always) but the chilling process starts 15-20 mins post flameout.

Miffed or baffled DS?

Got some of these hops from yob so aiming for a single hop apa/aipa type thing.

Probably maris and a touch of crystal and biscuit, half the IBU from a 60 and the remainder from small additions every 5 mins post 20 mins. Hopefully knock it out this coming weekend.

DrSmurto said:
The no chill thread is where this discussion sits best but yes, I am a little miffed as to why anyone thinks you could get 37 IBU from a flameout addition even with such a high AA% hop.

I've got a rye golden ale crash chilling at the moment using this hop and with a 15 min addition of 1.5g/L aiming for only 30 IBU it tastes about right. I also added a 2g/L flameout addition so only marginally less than Punkins. I did chill it (as always) but the chilling process starts 15-20 mins post flameout.
I've been looking for some info on this topic too regarding BrewMate's no-chill function. Your 20 minute long flameout additions are imparting a LOT of bitterness, apparently...

Check this out:

0 Min APA
American Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 20.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.200
Total Hops (g): 60.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.058 (°P): 14.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.70 %
Colour (SRM): 8.3 (EBC): 16.3
Bitterness (IBU): 39.3 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
5.000 kg Pale Ale Malt (96.15%)
0.200 kg Caramunich III (3.85%)

Hop Bill
----------------
10.0 g Chinook Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
40.0 g Citra Pellet (13.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (2 g/L)
10.0 g Galaxy Pellet (13.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

DrSmurto said:
Even further off topic (but on topic to your post), I have done a few Pilsners with a single cube addition of Stella. No hops in the kettle at all, not even flame out. Estimated somewhere around 30 IBU and very tasty.

EDIT: Have also done one with old-ish Saaz plugs, 150g into cube, not so tasty, but very bitter.

I've made some very high IBU (perceived) IPAs with high FGs with cube hops only. I also tend to cube from 80c and below (whirlpool temp related). No IBU from 0 min additions is complete rubbish as far as I am concerned.

Slightly OT but has anyone noticed the ad on the first page of this thread...good indication of where to buy Victoria's Secret and also free shipping! :lol:

vs.jpg

Re: Cube additions. Is what you are perceiving actual IBUs due to the isomerisation of alpha acids or a slight astringency that can be perceived as bitterness from leaving vegetal matter in contact with a liquid for an extended period?

I won't say there is none of that going on but I believe I could tell the difference between IBU bitterness and astringent bitterness up at IIPA levels. The bitterness is very beer-like (whatever that might mean).

Having said that, I have purchased a plate chiller just for this style of beer so we'll see how my opinion changes once I get a chance to use it.

tricache said:
Slightly OT but has anyone noticed the ad on the first page of this thread...good indication of where to buy Victoria's Secret and also free shipping! :lol:

attachicon.gif
vs.jpg
coughcough-adblocker-coughcough :D

Off topic it may be but following the natural flow of the converstion...

I currently have this on one of my taps, all additions are at flameout. I don't know if it's 53 ibu, but i'm comfortable with bitterness up to 36 ibu or so not producing a beer that is noticeably bitter to me.

This beer IS noticeably bitter, and in the IPA range of commercial beers i've had. There has been no appreciable amounts of vegetal matter in the cube as it was left in the whirlpool.

10 min ipa no chill1 (American IPA)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (°P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol (ABV): 5.11 %
Colour (SRM): 5.5 (EBC): 10.8
Bitterness (IBU): 53.0 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

87% Pale Ale Malt
8% Wheat Malt
5% Caramalt

2.3 g/L Amarillo (8.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
3.9 g/L Centennial (8.3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safale US-05

I trust brew mates no chill button in the way that i use it. That's either using the hops at flameout or at 10mins, the ibu doesn't change all that much.

I used to chill with an immersion chiller that took a good 45 mins or more before i cubed, so have used the program two ways. I have a very good plate chiller and will be splitting batches into two fermenters and two cubes on occasion soon as i get my a into g and set it up.

Type: All grain Size: 22 liters Color: 11 HCU (~8 SRM)
swatch.gif

Bitterness: 49 IBU
OG: 1.058 FG: 1.010
Alcohol: 6.2% v/v (4.9% w/w)
Grain: 5.5kg maris
100g aromatic
100g biscuit
100g British crystal 95-115L
Mash: 70% efficiency,
TEMP: 55/64/7/78
TIME: 5/45/10/10
Boil: 90 minutes SG 1.040 32 liters
Hops: 15g Victoria's Secret (17.5% AA, 60 min.)
5g Victoria's Secret (17.5% AA, 20 min.)
5g Victoria's Secret (17.5% AA, 15 min.)
5g Victoria's Secret (17.5% AA, 10 min.)
5g Victoria's Secret (aroma)

Roughly the recipe I will brew this weekend with an additional 5g at 5 mins and 20g Dry.

Some gypsum and cal chloride to mash and boil.

1272 or denny's favourite

Kegged and carbed the rye Victoria Secret Golden Ale last night. Still needs a tad more carbonation and will clear up over time but that didn't stopped me having a taste.

Picture shows the 2 rye golden ales on tap - homegrown Victoria on the left, Victoria Secret on the right. The only difference between the 2 is the hops and if I was getting technical, yeast cell count albeit with the same strain (I split a yeastcake in two by eye :blink: ). Well..... I only used the Victoria secret for late additions as that is all I needed to get the same IBU. The Victoria version has a small 60 min bittering addition so that is another difference. The homegrown Victoria has been on tap for 4 weeks now so not as fresh but the hop flavour and aroma is still there.

They are different but the differences I perceived when smelling the hops flowers and the unhopped wort are no longer as apparent. The Victoria Secret is a bit more grapefruit than the Victoria but they both have a mango quality.

Maybe Wy1272 is dulling it a tad and US05 might enhance the differences. It could also just be the lower carbonation and once the VS version hits the same carbonation more of the aroma will come through. I'll brew a more heavily late hopped beer soon although stouts and porters are dominating my to brew list.

Regardless, this is a very nice hop. I'd use it more often if I didn't get 1kg of Victoria (dry) from my plantation this season!

IMG_20130422_211957_zpsa324cfbc.jpg

Started drinking an IPA dry hopped with the Victorias Secret yesterday. First impressions aren't as favourable as Doc's.

This hop at this concentration (50gms in a 20l batch) gives me a perfume flavour that i don't like. It's like the flavour you'd get (when i used to smoke) if you asked a girl for a cigarette and she got the packet out of her handbag.
That pervasive perfume flavour.

I'm terrible when it comes to picking out scents or flavours and unless it whacked me up the side of the head i'd be lucky to pick mango, but some of the descriptions i have no chance with.

This is all i've got :unsure:

I'm looking forward to fermenting a cube of the smash next week to get a better picture.

Sorry for the uncertain review, can only say it as i see it, but at this stage it won't be one i'll be chasing again. I'm hoping i'll like it more with a better example. Could be that it's just clashed with the Amarillo or Centenial.

I said i'd post back when my SMaSH was on tap.

I force carbed and i'm drinking it early but the results are clear for me.

Not my favourite hop.
The perfume thing is still there, not like it was as harsh with the dry hop only in the IPA, but still pervasive.

Ladies perfume kinda taste. Not repulsive, but not to my taste either. I'll probably use the rest of what i have up as bittering additions (should be good at such high AA) in recipes that use fruity hops like Ross's Summer Ale etc.

Nothing wrong with them, just not my favourite.

Latest posts

Back