VICBREW 2019

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just took a look and I can't find a third sheet in all of the 1400 scans I've been given. I'll ask the guys if they have a third physical sheet for this one...

Cheers,

Andy

Thanks Andy - not the end of the world if it cant be found.

Im keen for the feedback but not upset if it cant be tracked down.

Hi Guys,

I'm going to jump-in without a safety net here & rely on my memory, which is.....erm....I can't remember why (but it's bad!).

The Belgians definitely only had two judges on one table & three on the other on Saturday morning. That was expanded to another table of three for the arvo, as judges became available. That'd be why you'll see a "Phantom" third scoresheet, as it's an average of the two judges at the table = the third judge.

That category is a really tough gig & we had VERY experienced judges on all 3 tables, so you can be assured your feedback is coming from some of the best available. My only beef is that the ONLY Biere De Garde entered got 1st place (AGAIN!!!!). I tasted it & berated the judges for high-scoring what I considered a poor example of the style & Mike G. referred me back to the style guidelines that provided quite a wide scope. I ate crow........

There were a few no-shows from expected judges :(, so it's possible that an aggregate (ie. "Phantom") judge had to be created for some tables. Whatever the wash-up, please enjoy & learn from the feedback you got from the available judges.

If you got feedback that your beer was poor, take it on-board & learn from it. Improve your brewing.

Above all, RDWHAHB!

Cheers,

Martin

Edit: PS - Thanks to the bloke that put in several entries & didn't pay for them & didn't respond to emails or phonecalls. That's instant disqualification! We drank them as we were sorting the entries on the Friday morning. Some of them were actually pretty good!

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who clearly put in a lot of work. this was my first ever time entering and trying to find a place open to drop things off at the last minute was amusing. Not going to complain with 2nd place in the Belgians :s absolute fluke.

Hi Guys,

I'm going to jump-in without a safety net here & rely on my memory, which is.....erm....I can't remember why (but it's bad!).

The Belgians definitely only had two judges on one table & three on the other on Saturday morning. That was expanded to another table of three for the arvo, as judges became available. That'd be why you'll see a "Phantom" third scoresheet, as it's an average of the two judges at the table = the third judge.

That category is a really tough gig & we had VERY experienced judges on all 3 tables, so you can be assured your feedback is coming from some of the best available. My only beef is that the ONLY Biere De Garde entered got 1st place (AGAIN!!!!). I tasted it & berated the judges for high-scoring what I considered a poor example of the style & Mike G. referred me back to the style guidelines that provided quite a wide scope. I ate crow........

There were a few no-shows from expected judges :(, so it's possible that an aggregate (ie. "Phantom") judge had to be created for some tables. Whatever the wash-up, please enjoy & learn from the feedback you got from the available judges.

If you got feedback that your beer was poor, take it on-board & learn from it. Improve your brewing.

Above all, RDWHAHB!

Cheers,

Martin

Edit: PS - Thanks to the bloke that put in several entries & didn't pay for them & didn't respond to emails or phonecalls. That's instant disqualification! We drank them as we were sorting the entries on the Friday morning. Some of them were actually pretty good!

Thanks for the feed back Martin.

Hey guys, bit late but big thanks to the organizers. It has been my first time in a competition and it has been a great experience, I can´t recommend more. I didn't expect the high quality of the feedback, really useful and encouraging. Hope to help next year!
I was also wondering if there were certificates for minor places in each category, or just for the winners? Cheers!

Hi Mate,

I'm afraid we only give prizes to the top-3 in each category. Can you really imagine/appreciate getting a certificate to hang on your brewery wall that says "Stone motherless last" in "X" category? Multiples of them???????

We've toyed with the idea of a "Wooden Spoon Award" as a bit of a tongue in cheek piss-take, but decided against it. Not the best encouragement to new brewers....

Trust me, there are members of the organising committee who have scored very poorly & even "book-ended" a category (ie. 1st & last in the category). I'm one of them..:fallingoffchair:

It all comes down to the judges on the day......

Hi Mate,

I'm afraid we only give prizes to the top-3 in each category. Can you really imagine/appreciate getting a certificate to hang on your brewery wall that says "Stone motherless last" in "X" category? Multiples of them???????

We've toyed with the idea of a "Wooden Spoon Award" as a bit of a tongue in cheek piss-take, but decided against it. Not the best encouragement to new brewers....

Trust me, there are members of the organising committee who have scored very poorly & even "book-ended" a category (ie. 1st & last in the category). I'm one of them..:fallingoffchair:

It all comes down to the judges on the day......
Hey Martin, Are the prizes posted out? I havent received anything yet?

We're waiting until after the Nationals (this weekend) just in case one of the Vic. entries scores a national prize, which can be collected by one of the Vic. delegates & we can mail them both at the same time.

Latest posts

Back