VICBREW 2019

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We hope you're able to JUDGE or STEWARD at VicBrew 2019.

To register your interest (or let us know if you can't make it this year), please fill out the form located here https://forms.gle/uvk8rhvZqNQaM6UY7 with your details and preferences.

This year the judging will be on the weekend of the 14th and 15th of September at the Belgian Beer Cafe Eureka, 5 Riverside Quay, Southbank Melbourne, Melways 2F E7. Located about 5 minutes walk from Flinders St Station across the Evan-Walker bridge, this is a BJCP-registered competition and all judges are welcome.

Why volunteer at VicBrew?

• Evaluate some of the best beer in the state in Australia's biggest homebrewing competition.

• Hone your judging skills by judging alongside highly experienced beer judges.

• Earn BJCP points.

• Free lunch provided for all volunteers.

• Novice judges and stewards are welcome, with on-the-job training provided.

• A great range of Belgian beers and craft brews in the Eureka bar.
Starting and finishing times for Saturday and Sunday are expected to be 9.00 am to 5:00 pm with judging organised in two sessions.

We encourage you to pass this message along to any of your friends or acquaintances who might be interested in judging or stewarding. If you have questions, feel free to email [email protected]

Thanks for your assistance,

the VicBrew 2019 committee

VicBrew is only 3+ weeks away and we still need judges and stewards. We hope you're able to JUDGE and/or STEWARD at VicBrew 2019.

To register your interest (or let us know if you can't make it this year), please fill out the form located here https://forms.gle/uvk8rhvZqNQaM6UY7 with your details and preferences.

This year the judging will be on the weekend of the 14th and 15th of September at the Belgian Beer Cafe Eureka, 5 Riverside Quay, Southbank Melbourne, Melways 2F E7. Located about 5 minutes walk from Flinders St Station across the Evan-Walker bridge, this is a BJCP-registered competition and all judges are welcome.

• Evaluate some of the best beer in the state in Australia's biggest homebrewing competition.

• Earn BJCP points.

Starting and finishing times for Saturday and Sunday are expected to be 9.00 am to 5:00 pm with judging organised in two sessions.

We encourage you to pass this message along to any of your friends or acquaintances who might be interested in judging or stewarding. If you have questions, feel free to email [email protected]

PS. & NB!!!!!!!:

You can post your entries to any of the entry points except Greensborough Home Brewing (Dave has decided to take a couple of weeks off, so anything that's not there by COB tomorrow won't get collected). You can still get them to other collection points without a problem by the "official" pick-up date of 31/8/19.

VicBrew is only 3+ weeks away and we still need judges and stewards. We hope you're able to JUDGE and/or STEWARD at VicBrew 2019.

• Earn BJCP points.

PS. & NB!!!!!!!:

You can post your entries to any of the entry points except Greensborough Home Brewing (Dave has decided to take a couple of weeks off, so anything that's not there by COB tomorrow won't get collected). You can still get them to other collection points without a problem by the "official" pick-up date of 31/8/19.

Hi MartinOC,

I filled this form in a couple of weeks back but haven’t heard from anyone... should I have heard from someone yet or will that happen soon?

Hi MartinOC,

I filled this form in a couple of weeks back but haven’t heard from anyone... should I have heard from someone yet or will that happen soon?
Yeah, it'll happen soon. Our Prez. will currently be collating/organising stuff to get bums on seats.

RDWHAHB

Hello Martin,

Bit of an idiot moment, but incorrectly entered one of my beers online today. Have shot an email to [email protected] to fix it up. Is it too late or can it be rectified?

Cheers.

If I had a beer that is ready after the 31st of August, can I enter it and deliver it the day of the competition?

If I had a beer that is ready after the 31st of August, can I enter it and deliver it the day of the competition?
No. Got to be dropped off by the 31st at one of the nominated collection points.

Thanks,

Thought I could of squeezed in another entry!!
If it's already in the bottle (or you can get it in the bottle) & get it to one of the collection points before the 31st, you can still enter the beer into Compmaster now. Remember, it won't be judged until mid September.

Hello Martin,

Bit of an idiot moment, but incorrectly entered one of my beers online today. Have shot an email to [email protected] to fix it up. Is it too late or can it be rectified?

Cheers.
Hi AJ,

I've got Admin access to Compmaster. What's the problem? I should be able to fix it for you (or check that it's already been fixed).

Hi AJ,

I've got Admin access to Compmaster. What's the problem? I should be able to fix it for you (or check that it's already been fixed).

Thanks Martin. It's entry #314. Forgot to include base beer style (imperial stout) and speciality wood aging details (aged in a Tasmanian whisky barrel). Really appreciate it. Cheers

Hi guys. First time I'm participating in a brew competition. Just curious how the process is. The judges taste and decide the winners during the competition (this weekend) and it's announced the same day? The participants should be there in some moment during the weekend? Not sure if there is a time for each category.
Good luck!

Hi guys. First time I'm participating in a brew competition. Just curious how the process is. The judges taste and decide the winners during the competition (this weekend) and it's announced the same day? The participants should be there in some moment during the weekend? Not sure if there is a time for each category.
Good luck!
Migi

The head steward will have a schedule of what's being judged when. But results aren't announced until all judging is complete.

Because of the Compmaster software they use the results are generally published fairly quickly, sometimes on the Sunday eventing. But to be fair to comp organisers we are spoilt by then getting results out so quick. If they aren't published Sunday night.... Have a home brew sit back and wait patiently.

If you're keen I believe they are still looking for volunteers to help out.
Judging is a great way to learn a lot, you get paired with an experienced judge.
Stewarding is the role of preparing and serving the beers to the judges, collecting scoresheets etc... And tasting the beers as a bonus.

If you have some spare time this weekend drop down to help out. I'm sure it will be appreciated.

^ Wot he said.

Just to elaborate:

We've got a draft judging schedule that will probably get massaged into place over the next couple of days.

Without wanting to blow trumpets here, the reason Vicbrew gets things done so efficiently & results published so quickly is because the hard-core of the organising Committee has been the same for about the past 13-15 years & we're like a well-oiled machine. Everyone knows/respects each other & trusts the others to do their bit. That's likely to change soon, so we're looking for new blood to step-up & take some responsibility as part of the succession planning for the Committee/Competition.

I (for one!) need an understudy to learn the ropes as Chief Steward. The incumbent has managed to sow his seed & has family/work commitments that's taking up all his time.

We've currently got a team of about 15 Stewards for each day, so that should be plenty (assuming everyone shows - NOBODY mention 2015 on pain of death!!!!!!!!!!).

If you want to rock-up & help-out or just hang-out & taste the beers as they come back from the judging tables, then you're most welcome (just don't get in the way!). Beer competitions can be a bit like watching paint dry if you're not actively involved in something.

Results should be announced on the Sunday arvo. at about 5pm (but don't quote me!).

Cheers,

Martin

Still waiting on a response to the form Martin. Shall I still be relaxing with a homebrew?
Sorry, mate. Didn't get a notification of your post & just picked-up on it manually now.

I think by now, everything has already been sorted for bums on seats. Strange that you didn't get included in the judging schedule email that went out several days ago. I can only assume that there was an error in your provided email addy, which is why you weren't notified??

If you want to rock-up & help-out as a Steward (or sit-in with a judging table to learn the ropes), by all-means do so & we'll see what we can do for you.

Ask for me by name (if you can't already ID me - I'm the mouthy git that's antsy like an expectant father:eek:) & introduce yourself. We can go from there.

I'm flying without an off-sider this year, so I'll be busy, but I'm sure we can find a slot for you.

Cheers,

Martin

No results released tonight. Will happen in the next day or so. They announced this afternoon that they would not be able to collate in time for announcements today.

Latest posts

Back