Vic Xmas Case Swap 2011

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big thanks to Mr and Mrs Yob for hosting the swap yesterday. Learnt alot of new things that I would have never thought of.

Loved Wolfy's dunkelweizen and another big thanks to everyone who gave this noob advice and teach me the tips and tricks of all grain. Had alot of fun brewing and drinking with the AHB fellas on what was a fantastic day.

Cheers and beers :icon_cheers:

Hello.

Cheers to all.

Had a very good evening. Thanks to wolfman for the pizza slice but I had already eaten.

Cheers to yob and Mrs Yob for the hospitality and coffee etc this morning. Recover well ye swappers.

Big thanks to both the hosts (and everyone who attended) for an enjoyable evening.
Luckily for me, public transport was still running around midnight so I got home with minimal drama, just a but wet was all.

A few people asked about Vienna's grain bill, so here it is:

Vienna Lager
OG: 1.058
FG: 1.018
IBU: 29.1

2.56 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM)
1.54 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM)
1.36 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM)
0.20 kg Caraaroma (130.0 SRM)
26.00 gm Hallertau Aroma 09 [8.10%] (60 min) Hops 27.4 IBU
15.00 gm Mt. Hood (HomeGrown) 10 [5.00%] (10 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min)
1.00 gm Calcium Carbonate (Chalk) (Mash 60.0 min)
1.00 gm Yeast Nutrient (Boil 60.0 min)
2.00 gm Calcium Sulfate (Gypsum) (Mash 60.0 min)
6.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min)
4L Starter German Bock Lager (White Labs #WLP833) Yeast-Lager

Single Infusion Mash @ 67C for 60mins
90min Boil

Notes:
WLP833 slant, 10ml, 50ml, 250ml, 1L, 4L
32L into kettle @ 1.048, 23.5L into fermentor @ 1.058, 16C out of CFC, chilled to 8C to pitch yeast
2 Weeks primary, FG: 1.018
4 Weeks Lager @ 2C
Kegged & refrigerated @ 6C (few months now)

WOW what a night. Cheers to Mr and Mrs Yob for the hospitality!!

It's always good to call yourself a virgin! Yes I was a virgin last night and had a great time. Drank way too much but hey I wasn't by myself in that department. Food was great, really enjoyed the company (hope I didnt offend anyone, apologies if I did) and of course all beers were delish. Can't wait to try all the swap beers.

Looking forward to the next one.

Cheers

Apologies

No worries mate, get well and then ya can come collect ya beer, weve got it crated for you so just let me know when ya want em

Luckily for me, public transport was still running around midnight so I got home with minimal drama, just a but wet was all.

glad to hear it, I was a bit worried you would get to the city and not have a train

Big thanks to Mr and Mrs Yob for a great night. Food was great just a shame I had to leave a bit early, in heindsight I should have just thrown a sway in the back yard.
Thanks wolfy and brendo for the kegs to try. Enjoyed them all however should have saved brendo's 100IBU 8%er for later in the night.
Looking forward to see how the amber ale turns out. I got 17.5L into the fermenter this morning at 1.055. Just pitched an active coopers yeast starter. Going to ferment at 17 degrees. Will hold a few bottles for the next meet and hopefully taste the different yeasts that people have pitched.
Thanks to all for making it a great night!

Big thanks to both the hosts (and everyone who attended) for an enjoyable evening.

A few people asked about Vienna's grain bill, so here it is:

Vienna Lager
OG: 1.058
FG: 1.018
IBU: 29.1

2.56 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM)
1.54 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM)
1.36 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM)
0.20 kg Caraaroma (130.0 SRM)
26.00 gm Hallertau Aroma 09 [8.10%] (60 min) Hops 27.4 IBU
15.00 gm Mt. Hood (HomeGrown) 10 [5.00%] (10 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min)
1.00 gm Calcium Carbonate (Chalk) (Mash 60.0 min)
1.00 gm Yeast Nutrient (Boil 60.0 min)
2.00 gm Calcium Sulfate (Gypsum) (Mash 60.0 min)
6.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min)
4L Starter German Bock Lager (White Labs #WLP833) Yeast-Lager

Single Infusion Mash @ 67C for 60mins
90min Boil

Notes:
WLP833 slant, 10ml, 50ml, 250ml, 1L, 4L
32L into kettle @ 1.048, 23.5L into fermentor @ 1.058, 16C out of CFC, chilled to 8C to pitch yeast
2 Weeks primary, FG: 1.018
4 Weeks Lager @ 2C
Kegged & refrigerated @ 6C (few months now)

I thought it was beautiful except for the carbonate.

Jokes.

Tasted fine to me. Also had one of the extra bottles you gave me quite late in the night. Seemed like an ap - I was pretty toasted at the time but I still very much enjoyed it.

Recent swaps I've just been wanting to enjoy the beer and company and not get too BJCP-ish about assessing people's beers. Apologies if people are hoping for feedback or opinion - if that's the case, ask me (I mean that to whoever), otherwise if I don't spit it out it's OK and if I go back for seconds it's probably pretty good.

Thanks for the barleywine either fourstar or brendo - delicious.

glad to hear it, I was a bit worried you would get to the city and not have a train
I got the last Ringwood-Frankston bus to Dandy then the 2nd last train home from there, so all good. :)
And SWMBO's car got fixed today, so she'll be good for work tomorrow too. ;)
I thought it was beautiful except for the carbonate.

Jokes.

Tasted fine to me. Also had one of the extra bottles you gave me quite late in the night. Seemed like an ap - I was pretty toasted at the time but I still very much enjoyed it.
LOL.

The bottle marked 'AA' should have been an American Pale Ale, the other bottle is the same as the case-swap, so save it 'till next year (or drink it when suitably wasted).

Good swap day guys... just a shame I had to run fairly earlish, missed out on some fun I am sure. SWMBO is entertaining the idea of us hosting a swap at some stage - so if that happens it should be at least one swap I get to stay until stumps!!

Thanks to the Yobs - great job hosting guys and conveniently located close to home :super:

I have updated the swap list - as mine only got bottled Saturday morning, she will need some time to carb up, so give it 4-6 weeks and she should be good to go. Looking forward to sampling some of the wares over the Xmas break.

Thanks for the beers shared guys and looking forward to doing it all again next year.

Cheers,

Brendo

Likewise. Wish I'd been able to stay longer, not long after I emptied my first (of few) beers on the day, I found myself cursing the wife for double booking our Saturday night.

Good to catch up with you guys, hope my off-the-cuff water calculations were accurate (fyi, it's ∏r2h) and didn't leave the BIAB boys under-volume, and hope you didn't all get too wet when the storm hit, even if you were all too pissed to notice.

Good to catch up with you guys, hope my off-the-cuff water calculations were accurate (fyi, it's ∏r2h) and didn't leave the BIAB boys under-volume, and hope you didn't all get too wet when the storm hit, even if you were all too pissed to notice.

we ended just a little short but it all worked out in the end pretty damn close.. certainly not too bad for a mish mash of equipment and a couple of noobs..

the storm came in just as we finished the clean up and was good to finally sit down for a while and enjoy the beers :rolleyes:

while im here there are a few bits of leftover kit from swappers

1.JPG

funnel end I think is Manticles, Plastic container I think is Peaky's, dunno anout the rest...

hoodie is mine ;)

we ended just a little short but it all worked out in the end pretty damn close.. certainly not too bad for a mish mash of equipment and a couple of noobs..

the storm came in just as we finished the clean up and was good to finally sit down for a while and enjoy the beers :rolleyes:

View attachment 50854

funnel end I think is Manticles, Plastic container I think is Peaky's, dunno anout the rest...

hoodie is mine ;)

orange lid is mine... will have to organise to grab it off you, no major rush though.

orange lid is mine... will have to organise to grab it off you, no major rush though.

you guys can swing by anytime for it, will leave in the shed on the table for collection..

there is also a couple of kegs that I think are wolfy's but will happily accept as donation :lol:

Yob

there is also a couple of kegs that I think are wolfy's but will happily accept as donation :lol:
LOL you wish.
But, if you had a keg-fridge you could connect them back up and drink the beer, since it will be at least a few days before we get over that way.

LOL you wish.
But, if you had a keg-fridge you could connect them back up and drink the beer, since it will be at least a few days before we get over that way.

iz dat right... where'd you stash the lines? :ph34r:

naa only kidding, I wouldnt know what the hell im doin so best not to mess with others gear... there IS some bloody nice beer in em though which was muchly appreciated

:icon_cheers:

Thanks to Mr and Mrs Yob for hosting. Was a great day and night. I've updated the article regarding my swap beer. RTD now. Be sure to drink while it's fresh.

Can't wait to ferment out the brew we did. I don't know if I got the BIAB or the 3 tier one but, either way, should be good.

What ever became of the 2 no shows?

View attachment 50854

hoodie is mine ;)

I'm not attached to the funnel end. You could turn it into a very smart hat.

Is that a hoodie or a t-shirt? Grabbed one from cocko at the bulk buy in the morning and have no idea what I've done with it. Medium sized t-shirt. Otherwise it might be in Wolfman's car.

naa that me hoodie mate, havnt seen a shirt layin about, I had the sweats up today restoring the yard and would have come across it if it was here.. will ask the good woman when she gets home as well.

Probably dropped it at my house after the buy. Had to go away for work so I can't really check.

Back