Vic Xmas Case Swap 2008

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#15 Q Sasion

well carbed some malt sweetness distinct wheat flavor plenty of yeasty stuff goin on all as per style well crafted Q :beer:

Kleiny - Weizen
sorry Kleiny it was a few days ago now so my comments arent going to be detailed. I really enjoyed this. some subtle spice and great yeast character. clear and nice head. great effort.

OK, tried #23 johnno's APA (god, better write down what I drink, I thought it was #1, but found another #1 in the box, and I remember it had a christmas card on it, and thought it was from Johnno). So if yours had a christmas card on it johnno, then it was yours. Whoever's it was, in my opinion, it has been the best tasting beer in the swap (that's how I feel)! Well done, nice hoppy aroma and flavour. I love my APA's, and I think this is a very good example! Was dissapointed when it was over.

Tried #4 Rooks Pommie Bitter, and enjoyed it. I felt it had a sort of wheat beer flavour, which I wasn't expecting, but was very enjoyable. Might have to look at how a "Pommie" bitter is made.

McCook - Belgian Pale Ale

time to see if mccook is a mcbrewer....and he is. lovely light beer, fantastic head and carbonation (although wouldnt want to be any more carbed at th risk of being over carbed). left great lacework. nice light belgian fruit turning to bitterness at the end. not quite a full blown heavy belgian no quite a APA. great stuff.

Had two beers tonight

#9 Hair of the dog (cumquat wheat)
Had this after dinner out on the back porch watching the kids run around.
For me it has been the highlight of the swap so far.
Very enjoyable, highly carbed and very golden in color.
Was extremely dissappointed when it was finished.

Also 8 Maple - Irish (more brown than) Red Ale
Another great beer.
Maybe a little undercarbed but also a good drink.

I am yet to touch a beer I have not enjoyed
Cheers
Reg

2 this arvo/tonite

#5 I am tipping this was an extract, i couldnt find it in the recipes, clear, well carbed, malty, no head retention, when i warmed it up i tasted honey Cheers n Merry Xmas

# White lid (red #), resembled a 6 a 7 or a 9 depending what tribe you come from. I loved this beer, the choc, the grain, mouthfeel, apart from being a bit muddy it was sensational Cheers n Merry Xmas

Haysie

just found #5 in the recipe, oops .

Had two beers tonight

#9 Hair of the dog (cumquat wheat)
Had this after dinner out on the back porch watching the kids run around.
For me it has been the highlight of the swap so far.
Very enjoyable, highly carbed and very golden in color.
Was extremely dissappointed when it was finished.

Also 8 Maple - Irish (more brown than) Red Ale
Another great beer.
Maybe a little undercarbed but also a good drink.

I am yet to touch a beer I have not enjoyed
Cheers
Reg

thanks reg someone else enjoying your beers almost as good as enjoying it yourself :beer:

2 this arvo/tonite

#5 I am tipping this was an extract, i couldnt find it in the recipes, clear, well carbed, malty, no head retention, when i warmed it up i tasted honey Cheers n Merry Xmas

# White lid (red #), resembled a 6 a 7 or a 9 depending what tribe you come from. I loved this beer, the choc, the grain, mouthfeel, apart from being a bit muddy it was sensational Cheers n Merry Xmas

Haysie

wasnt an extract haysie but i can sort of understand why you thought so , rather simple recipe ... no honey in there though ...

#21 johnno - apa
Lovely stable off-white head. Fractionally low on the carbonation--maybe a bit more like an english pale ale in that regard (does higher carbonation bring out more of the citrus hop flavor in the beer to the tongue?). Quite bitter, well within style. Familiar hop aroma and flavor. This tastes very similar to the first APA I brewed, my first all-grain, though I let my fermentation temp get into the mid-twenties--so mine peaked quickly but went south fast. This went down very well after an hour on the treadmill--rehydration and a meal in a bottle!.

Unfortunately I have my work xmas party tomorrow night tonight, so won't get a chance to sink a few more case swap beers until Saturday night--unless I smuggle some in to the Hilton.... B)

Just finishing the last glass and want more ... damn don't have any of my latest APA in the fridge, though probably need to hit the hay anyway.

Cheers
Mal / Cooky (takes me back to Primary School ... not saying that's bad, as I have fond memories of Orbost Primary) / McCook (one step away from McLovin ... if only I needed a fake ID to buy beer)

Had Johno's APA last night and oh my lord !- this is the one for me. loved every second of it. 10/10 mate.

#15 Q Saison

I loved this beer. After seeing Chris' experience of it climbing out of the bottle, I prepared to pour it over the sink but I had no trouble at all. I didn't see any similarity between it and Super's wit as someone else described. That wit had massive banana aroma and flavour. I didn't get any banana in the saison. I couldn't put a finger on any particular flavours, just a depth that made it very interesting to drink. Certainly a contrast the boring-as-f*@k beers I've been producing.

I'm hoping the recipe is available in the recipe thread.

Thanks Q.

Andrew

#15 Q Saison

I loved this beer. After seeing Chris' experience of it climbing out of the bottle, I prepared to pour it over the sink but I had no trouble at all. I didn't see any similarity between it and Super's wit as someone else described. That wit had massive banana aroma and flavour. I didn't get any banana in the saison. I couldn't put a finger on any particular flavours, just a depth that made it very interesting to drink. Certainly a contrast the boring-as-f*@k beers I've been producing.

I'm hoping the recipe is available in the recipe thread.

Thanks Q.

Andrew

Just goes to show that you can have differences between bottles. Given your explanation above can see that you will have a different perception.

That was me comparing it to Super's wit, in my case this was mainly because of the yeast flavour I was getting from it being in suspension, and some of the spiciness coming through.

2 this arvo/tonite

Haysie

I put in one in with a red 7 on a white lid. In that case it would have been a Mild. I'm owning up cause you thought it was ok ;)

Finally dug out the case swap beers...first up (given it's a cold rainy day in Melb)

4 Rook Pommie Bitter:

I like a good pommy birtter or ale. I took this one straight out of the box (unchilled) and poured a glass. Nice sized head with a spicy aroma. Taking a mouthful and the pallate gets hit with lovely subtle malty flavours, with a slight burnt taste and subtle bittering towards the end.

Beautiful Pommie Beer Rook. I'll have to brew this one when I go AG :D :icon_cheers:

Haysie

I put in one in with a red 7 on a white lid. In that case it would have been a Mild. I'm owning up cause you thought it was ok ;)

Definately Chris's beer that one. with the 6's and 9's, one is written on whitish tape, the other on grey packing tape (I think one of yours has fallen off Haysie)...we'll have to enforce people drawing a line below their 6 and 9's next time LOL

Just goes to show that you can have differences between bottles.

This sure can happen at times.

The first one of mine I tried after bottling I was hit by wet cardboard everywhere. I was surprised as I had taken care to make this beer and could not understand where oxidisation may have come into it.
I had to quickly try another bottle and was relieved to find that it was ok. Seems that first particular bottle may have not been cleaned right.

Anyway hope no one else gets one similar.

cheers
johnno

6 Cummins (I think, could be 9 but it's more like an alt than a cumquat)

Carbonation is low, and around the right level for a true alt. Very earthy taste with mild fruitiness, full bodied with a syrupy mouth. A very nice beer, although a little too sweet in the after taste for an alt.

Excellent beer Cummins, I could drink this one all night :D

13 Citymorgue2 - mongrel black bavarian/Schwarzbier Ale

After feeling like crap all day, trying one of my new stouts to find it infected with a gusher, and the next one not infected but full of acetaldehyde, I need something to lift my spirits.

Let me say that CM2s bavarian/Schwarzbier Ale did all this and a hell of a lot more.

Caramel, toffee, very creamy, even a hint of licorice in there.

Some coffee which is signature flavour in a Schwarzbier style.

Cant say I have ever had a Schwarbier as an ale before, and although it does not come out quite as refined, it seems to have a warmer character than the lagered version.

Must admit I like this better.

Sort of a brown ale crossed with an amber ale and a bit porter thrown in for good measure.

Fantastic mouth feel, bit of alcohol to warm you up on these cold winter nights.

This is the beer I needed tonight.

Thanks CM2

Back