Vic Xmas Case Swap 2008

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#7 - Chris Taylor - Mild

Sorry mate I wasnt taken by this. Your mild at the caseswap was in a differant league (being supurb). Maybe its the yeast that was throwing some funny flavours. to me it sorta tasted like the flavours were seperating out. roasty smell, but really mild. I suppose its within style being a really light brown ale. I could see where it was going but Im guessing you were right about it needing to be drunk young.

#3 Moonee (Robust Porter)
solid porter, rich dark brown color, good head, dry malt taste. really enjoyed this. cant see anyone not liking this. esp good to start people off to darker beers.

#22 Leigh Pale Ale

couldnt agree more with rooky this is the best extract ive ever had top beer mate :icon_cheers:

unfortunatlly ive missed out on the highly praised #12 Mortz :( but have 2 #16 Brewmister

I've got a few spare bottles so would be happy to part with one. Just let me know how you want to organise it.

Apparently my case was forgotton about until the end of the swapping, and was bought out at the very end, so looks like somebody doubled up on it.

Cheers,
Tim

I've got a few spare bottles so would be happy to part with one. Just let me know how you want to organise it.

Apparently my case was forgotton about until the end of the swapping, and was bought out at the very end, so looks like somebody doubled up on it.

Cheers,
Tim
thatad be great Mortz just a case of where & when mate cheers :icon_cheers:

#5 Barramundi Summer Wheat

Loved it Ned perfect fishing beer could drink from dawn till dusk nice & crisp with just enough sweetness recipe looks pretty basic maybe its your yeast that really finishes it off ill defenitly try that yeast in my next wheaty cheers mate :party:

cheers for that troy , good to know its drinkin well, i would have left it a while longer as its only been in the bottle a few weeks, having said that i put a bottle in the fridge of it tonight to test drive ...

just poured said bottle , have to say im happy with the way this beer has turned out , simple, tasty and quaffable .. the bottle i have is slightly undercarbed but having said that it was the last bottle out and not quite full so more head space to lose gas into..

brewmeister70 - Pre-prohibition American pilsner
interesting hops taste (in a good way). maybe a little heavy in body than i would expect from a pils (but what would i know). hugely carbonated and makes head if you look at. tight head and great lace. Nice beer to finish the night with.

1. Reg - Golden ale

Reg, unfortunately I think Wardy is right. undercarbination and diacetyl overshadowed this beer. Hops came through at the end of the mouthful but was a little muted. tasted like a pale golden ale more than a golden ale. a bit og tginkering with the brew method and you'll be laughing.

Hey CM2, getting one in before hitting the office eh, nice work!

lol. nah I get up at 6am with the kids so sometime i do some work on the comp. I forgot to post my review last night. hitting th caseswap before work (although it would make work more interesting) is a bit keen.

although it might have made an ok breaky beer.

4 - Rook - Pommie Bitter
poured clear as, nice head. very commercial looking (thats a compliment). maybe a bit of chill haze (not that i care about that). Was expecting more bitterness. dont know why. but after a few mouthfuls come to the conclusion that bitterness is spot on. well balanced body v bitterness. great little sessional beer.
clean fresh aftertaste and the hops is just high enough to make your palate want more without being overpowering. I couldnt pick what hops it was but am plesently suprised when i looked at your recipe. very nice rooky. gone far to quickly.

#14 Mcook (belgian Pale ale)

Got a grainy smell from the opening and poured a nice big white rocky head, that laced the glass
nice golden color but a bit cloudy, tasted smooth and well balanced slightly sweet and after haveing a quick gander at the style guide
i do get a bit of pear out of it, smooth to finish as well

nicely crafted cooky

#21 - Leigh - Pale Ale
Bubbly, beer with a well formed and maintained head. Plently of upfront bitterness, takes a while for the palate to get used to, but once it did, quite quaffable. Hop flavor quite evident and distinictive, the texture and malt flavor very reminiscent of coopers pale ale. By the end of the bottle I wanted another, but alas...

OK, I'm not going to post much meaniful info compared to the others. I'm not yet the connoisseur.

First I had 3 moonee's Robust Porter a few days ago. I just grabbed the lowest number in the fridge. A porter wasn't what I wanted, but after trying it, I was more than happy!

Then I cracked 7 Chris Taylor's Mild, and again it was quite enjoyable.
Then came 8 Maple's Irish Red Ale, which I also enjoyed, but sorry Maple, not quite as much as the others, still good though, maybe drinking Chris's before it was the only problem.

I then thought I was getting HairOfDog's cumquat, but think I ended up getting 12 mortz, Aus Pale Ale. Did 12 mortz have brown packing tape on it? As I thought it was a cumquat wheat, I was a little surprised, and dissapointed. How bad am I that I didn't pick that it was pale ale!!! But I was sure that it was HOD's. So, wish I could go back and try it knowing wat it was. But I did enjoy it, wasn't as sweet as I do my pales from memory (obviously cause I put in honey).

Had 11 Fents Hallertau, and enjoyed it. Put it in fridge last week by mistake, but it was still carbonated fine.

I'm now drinking 14 mcook's Belgian Pale ale. That's carbonated heaps, thought it was gonna be a boy. I'm enjoying it, it's a little light on the flavouring hops, but that's probably what you were going for (I don't know), and again not as sweet as I do my'n. Could happily drink a bunch. Maybe I gotta chill on the hops and honey on a couple of brews. But also I have to learn the difference in flavours between all the different types.

All in all, they've been, very ... enjoyable. Cheers all, having fun trying all the different styles! I'll update the recipe thread for my "Diacetyl" Australian Pale Ale :super: I guess I was going for an Australian one, again gotta learn the differnent styles.

#21 - Wardhog Great Aussie BlandAle™
mate i didnt mind this; i drank this without knowing whose it was and thought that there was some light belgian flavours (maybe my taste buds are srewy tonight - as us05 woulnt give that profile). great head and body. went down smoothly. nothing wrong with it. i think you hit the mark with what you wewre trying to acehive.

#13 - CM2 mongrel black bavarian/Schwarzbier (mine)
i decided to give mine a quick preview. it should be carbed as mine was. not sure what thw hell i was tasting though. maybe a bit of butterscotch (Diacetyl but maybe just too much crystal malt) but not sure. i dont tink this quite fits within style but interesting none the less. I'll let other people be the judges. Im sure this would develop over time but hey, who cant wait to drink case swaps?!!!

#17 Kleiny, nice, what's a weizen? I'm guessing it's a wheat german style thing? Ah, yeah, google is easier, it looks like it.
haha - "Wheat beers are usually top-fermented (in Germany they have to be by law)" wikipedia info. They have laws to ensure quality brewing?
Very clear beer, but not much head retention. I'm enjoying it. Not quite as nice as the taste you gave me at the swap of another wheat beer, but still good.

OK, I'm not going to post much meaniful info compared to the others. I'm not yet the connoisseur.

First I had 3 moonee's Robust Porter a few days ago. I just grabbed the lowest number in the fridge. A porter wasn't what I wanted, but after trying it, I was more than happy!

Then I cracked 7 Chris Taylor's Mild, and again it was quite enjoyable.
Then came 8 Maple's Irish Red Ale, which I also enjoyed, but sorry Maple, not quite as much as the others, still good though, maybe drinking Chris's before it was the only problem.

I then thought I was getting HairOfDog's cumquat, but think I ended up getting 12 mortz, Aus Pale Ale. Did 12 mortz have brown packing tape on it? As I thought it was a cumquat wheat, I was a little surprised, and dissapointed. How bad am I that I didn't pick that it was pale ale!!! But I was sure that it was HOD's. So, wish I could go back and try it knowing wat it was. But I did enjoy it, wasn't as sweet as I do my pales from memory (obviously cause I put in honey).

Had 11 Fents Hallertau, and enjoyed it. Put it in fridge last week by mistake, but it was still carbonated fine.

I'm now drinking 14 mcook's Belgian Pale ale. That's carbonated heaps, thought it was gonna be a boy. I'm enjoying it, it's a little light on the flavouring hops, but that's probably what you were going for (I don't know), and again not as sweet as I do my'n. Could happily drink a bunch. Maybe I gotta chill on the hops and honey on a couple of brews. But also I have to learn the difference in flavours between all the different types.

All in all, they've been, very ... enjoyable. Cheers all, having fun trying all the different styles! I'll update the recipe thread for my "Diacetyl" Australian Pale Ale :super: I guess I was going for an Australian one, again gotta learn the differnent styles.

mine had brown packaging tape over the top if that helps dingo :blink:

#7 - Chris Taylor - Mild

Sorry mate I wasnt taken by this. Your mild at the caseswap was in a differant league (being supurb). Maybe its the yeast that was throwing some funny flavours. to me it sorta tasted like the flavours were seperating out. roasty smell, but really mild. I suppose its within style being a really light brown ale. I could see where it was going but Im guessing you were right about it needing to be drunk young.

Thanks CM2, I agree that it has turned out a bit ordinary at the age it is now.

Just goes to show how much time can play a factor is some of these styles.

Was glad that a couple of you at the case swap got to try one fresh at the case swap just to see how different it could be.

First pour was absolutely crystal clear.

Slightly grainy bready aroma, although not a lot of the Belgian yeast character that I was expecting.

Very high carbonation, and was trying to walk its way out of the glass (and the bottle).

Unfortunately this usually indicates that it is getting some help from one of the other fermentation agents (pediococcus and or wild yeasts responsible for gushers), and as it warmed up got a distinct taste of acetic acid although it was pretty low level.

Second and third pours where very cloudy, also noticed that the body was very light (which is great for a Belgian Pale ale), but seemed to lack some of the malt profile that I would be expecting as well.

Would have really liked to have had this beer a few weeks or so earlier to see what it was like a bit earlier on.

I have only ever had one home brew version that I though can any where near the mark for this style, and in my two attempts have gone from sink fodder to ho hum.

Its one of those really difficult styles to get just right.

Looking at the yeast profile for the wyeast 1388

"Classic yeast for this beer style. Robust flavor profile with moderate to high alcohol tolerance. Fruity nose and palate, dry, tart finish. May continue to produce CO2 for an extended period after packaging or collection, while in refrigerated storage. "

So it is possible that the high carbonation is just coming from the yeast, and that the "acetic" taste from the yeasts tart finish.

Actually the more I drink this (and it has bit room temp now) the more it seems to fit the qualities described above by wyeast. Interesting how actually knowing what goes in the beer give you a totally different perspective, must say it was much more pleasant before the yeast starts to come up and try and take over.

First pour was absolutely crystal clear.

Slightly grainy bready aroma, although not a lot of the Belgian yeast character that I was expecting.

Very high carbonation, and was trying to walk its way out of the glass (and the bottle).

Unfortunately this usually indicates that it is getting some help from one of the other fermentation agents (pediococcus and or wild yeasts responsible for gushers), and as it warmed up got a distinct taste of acetic acid although it was pretty low level.

Second and third pours where very cloudy, also noticed that the body was very light (which is great for a Belgian Pale ale), but seemed to lack some of the malt profile that I would be expecting as well.

Would have really liked to have had this beer a few weeks or so earlier to see what it was like a bit earlier on.

I have only ever had one home brew version that I though can any where near the mark for this style, and in my two attempts have gone from sink fodder to ho hum.

Its one of those really difficult styles to get just right.

Looking at the yeast profile for the wyeast 1388

"Classic yeast for this beer style. Robust flavor profile with moderate to high alcohol tolerance. Fruity nose and palate, dry, tart finish. May continue to produce CO2 for an extended period after packaging or collection, while in refrigerated storage. "

So it is possible that the high carbonation is just coming from the yeast, and that the "acetic" taste from the yeasts tart finish.

Actually the more I drink this (and it has bit room temp now) the more it seems to fit the qualities described above by wyeast. Interesting how actually knowing what goes in the beer give you a totally different perspective, must say it was much more pleasant before the yeast starts to come up and try and take over.

Great to get some in depth feedback and analysis. Cheers. Not sure if it has changed too much from when I first tried it (a couple of weeks before the swap), as the second glass even then appeared to pour quite cloudy and with a massive head--though I can't recall it trying to escape the bottle, so maybe it has carbed up even more. The OG ended up turning out a bit low for the recipe I was trying, as I might have had a few effeciency issues on this occasion, or didn't measure my water accurately enough, so that might somewhat explain the lack of maltiness. The recipe ABV was 5.3%, but I think mine measured more like 4.5% (from memory)--and it wasn't due to any problems with attenuation.

Back