Vic Xmas Case Swap 2008

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#19 Haysie Colonial Belgian Pale Ale

really like this beer cant say ive had a heap of belgian pale ale but this has made me want to brew one nice & malty strong earthy hop flavors some sweetness honey color cant tell you anymore its empty :(

I stuck on numbers for ya, however the sticker could have come off.
:S

Quintrex,

When you pick up your swap brews (if you haven't already), I slipped a brew from Haysie in there instead of yours (that apparently exploded?).

Cheers

12: Australian Pale Ale.

This is my attempt at a Coopers Sparkling ale, so basically a nice bitter quaffer that has a 5.8% kick! I've made a few of them now, so this where it has evolved to.
Cheers,
Tim

Your surname's Cooper, isn't it?

That is THIS || far away from CSA. This brew is fractionally sweeter, otherwise I'd swear I was drinking a CSA.

Excellent beer. Have you posted the recipe?

Tasting Notes:

#17 - Kleiny - Weizen
Foamy head disapates quickly, golden color, quite clear (though second glass cloudier), some sought of fruity acidic fermentation taste--i'm not experienced enough to pinpoint the flavour, low hops, though not creamy at all, slightly odd lingering aftertaste.

#7 - Chris Taylor - Mild
No head, smelled roasty, gave my wife a taste and she said it tasted quite "mild" ... then I told her the name of the beer, bitter, drinkable, aftertaste hits the palate then slowly disapates making you want more, approachable with roasty, burnt flavors. Initially thought that this wasn't my style of beer, but really got into it by the end of the bottle.

#25/19 - BeerDingo - Pale Ale
Foamy head, well maintained, smells hoppy - plenty of galaxy hop aroma, bitter first taste with galaxy hops still prominent, lingering bitter finish, nice beer, even nicer when it warmed up a touch for the second glass.

All up an interesting selection, looking forward to the next lot.

Cheers
Mal

Hate to be a bit tech but if i do the Vicbrew judge sheets at least the brewer gets an idea of what i think about their beers and possible improvements
im not a judge but trying to conform and give relative feedback

Come up to Beerfest in Feb and you can fill some out for real :)

Your surname's Cooper, isn't it?

That is THIS || far away from CSA. This brew is fractionally sweeter, otherwise I'd swear I was drinking a CSA.

Excellent beer. Have you posted the recipe?

Thanks Wardy, glad you liked it.

The recipe, if it can be called that, is in the Recipe thread here

The FG was slightly higher, 1.005, not 1.004.

Cheers,
Tim

11 - Fents - Hallertau Ale

Sorry Fents, I got to this one too early, and the beer has suffered for it. It tastes like there's enough carb, but didn't pour with a head.

An interesting beer. All hallertau tradition/mittelfreuh/northern brewer/what?

Leaves an interesting taste, kinda honey-like. A little bit too sweet for me at the finish.

25 - Beerdingo - Pale ale

Another very enjoyable beer, it looks the goods and smells the goods, but is let down a little bit by a butterscotch character. I'm not entirely familiar with Galaxy's flavour profile, but this seems to be a perfect amount of it for my tastes.
Sort out the diacetyl, and this is a ripper of a beer.

#8 Maple Irish (not so red)

Malty aroma with a dark copper brown color more red than brown Maple, Cloudy with not much head retention, Sweat roasty taste with no hop taste, Light bodied with a burnt after taste (may just be me but some but slightly harsh on the after taste).

some slight adjustments and it would be a great beer Maple

#3 Moonee (Robust Porter)

Rich roast aroma, no hop aroma or flavour, brown to dark brown color, low head (may be my glass), Roasted pronounced black malt flavour, good balance for style, Dry malty/ bitter after taste but pleasent.

I had a 3 ravens black just before drinking this and it is fairly close to it!

Reminded me i need to make a robust porter or stout in the near future

good work moonee

:beer: Kleiny

1. Reg - Golden ale

The beer was undercarbed, but looked brilliant. One of the nicest looking beers I've seen.
A strong diacetyl character overrode nearly everything, thought I could taste some of the citrus-type hops but that disappeared all too quickly and left bitterness + butterscotch.

7. Chris Taylor - Mild

First beer for the test.
Nice Malty/roasty flavour/Aroma
Well balanced with the bitterness levels
Lacked head, but i assume this is normal for a mild
Really enjoyed this beer and set the standard very early

8. Maple - Irish Red

You were right, it's more Brown than Red.
This also had a nice Malty flavour but could have had a bit more to it
Good Carbonation, Clarity and head
could easilly have a session on this

17. Kleiny - Weizen

All i could taste was a smokey flavour, so i asked my mate to try it and he also could only taste the smokey taste
I still enjoyed it, but not as much as i was hoping to

12. Mortz - Australian pale Ale

Loved this beer
Easy drinking beer
Great colour, head, and lacing
I don't know what temp you fermented at but it just lacked that coopers final taste, but gee it was good
I don't think i have ever tasted a bad beer by you Mortz

21 Wardhog - Great Aussie BlandAle

You achieved what you set out to do, very bland
thanks for doing this beer, i have a spare one of yours and i'm going to make my neighbour drink it

19. beerDingo - pale ale

Great Colour, but unfortunately for me that's were it ended
all i could taste was Diacetyl Diacetyl and more Diacetyl

22. Leigh - Pale Ale
Well you could have knocked me over with a feather after i read your recipe this morning. (Extract)
Nice clear beer with good head and carbonation
Well balanced beer with a very clean taste
Why go A.G when you can make beers like this
The only thing i would have changed would be to up the dry hops as the hop aroma and flavour was to mild for my liking
Thanks for the beer Leigh, top darts

14. mcook - Belgian Pale Ale
High Carbonation, nice colour but cloudy ( this may be the style )
Big Big froathy head
Clean taste
I expected to get more spicey types of flavours with a belgian beer, what temp did you ferment at Cooky?
Enjoyed this beer

Went to try 3. moonee Robust porter but the cap wasn't on properly so the bottle was very soft, i have tightened it up so hopefully it will carb up for me
I missed out on Hair of the Dogs bottle swap bottle hhmmmmm

Rook

14. mcook - Belgian Pale Ale

High Carbonation, nice colour but cloudy ( this may be the style )
Big Big froathy head
Clean taste
I expected to get more spicey types of flavours with a belgian beer, what temp did you ferment at Cooky?
Enjoyed this beer

Fermented at 19-20 degrees for 2 weeks .... BTW the BJCP style guideline flavor description is as follows (and I think the beer has a some subtle spiciness, but is probably harder to taste the further into the flight it is drank, so possibly a good one to start with):

"Flavor: Fruity and lightly to moderately spicy with a soft, smooth malt and relatively light hop character and low to very low phenols. May have an orange- or pear-like fruitiness, though not as fruity/citrusy as many other Belgian ales. Has an initial soft, malty sweetness with a toasty, biscuity, nutty malt flavor. The hop flavor is low to none. The hop bitterness is medium to low, and is optionally complemented by low amounts of peppery phenols. There is a moderately dry to moderately sweet finish, with hops becoming more pronounced in those with a drier finish."

17. Kleiny - Weizen

All i could taste was a smokey flavour, so i asked my mate to try it and he also could only taste the smokey taste
I still enjoyed it, but not as much as i was hoping to

It tasted alright before the swap, I will have to give another bottle a sample

I dont know where a smoky flavour would have come from

sorry guys if its bad :unsure:

kleiny

#22 Leigh Pale Ale

couldnt agree more with rooky this is the best extract ive ever had top beer mate :icon_cheers:

unfortunatlly ive missed out on the highly praised #12 Mortz :( but have 2 #16 Brewmister

#22 Leigh Pale Ale

couldnt agree more with rooky this is the best extract ive ever had top beer mate :icon_cheers:

unfortunatlly ive missed out on the highly praised #12 Mortz :( but have 2 #16 Brewmister

i hope you have a spare one of yours Troy as i missed out. If you do bring it on the fishing trip :icon_cheers:

Rook

you can have my bottle of troys rook i've already tries it on a few occasions.

1. Reg - Golden ale

The beer was undercarbed, but looked brilliant. One of the nicest looking beers I've seen.
A strong diacetyl character overrode nearly everything, thought I could taste some of the citrus-type hops but that disappeared all too quickly and left bitterness + butterscotch.
I have not tried this one yet myself and was my 2nd AG.

Any ideas on how to get rid of these traits?
Fermented for 7 days at 16 degrees C and secondary for 4 days at same temp.
Did I need to raise the temp for a few days prior to bottling?
I used Safale 04 yeast.

I have not tried this one yet myself and was my 2nd AG.

Any ideas on how to get rid of these traits?
Fermented for 7 days at 16 degrees C and secondary for 4 days at same temp.
Did I need to raise the temp for a few days prior to bottling?
I used Safale 04 yeast.

A lot of people do a diacetyl rest by raising the temp of the brew to 18-19 degrees for a day or so(at the end of fermentation), however it can also happen that the yeast needs some time to clean up after bottle conditioning, it might clean up with further time conditioning in the bottle.
A lot of people say that yeast health is crucial to prevent it occuring.

Cheers
Q

Back