Vic Xmas Case Swap 2008

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark_M's Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale.

Saw mark_m on the lid and guessed it would be a well made beer, and I wasn't wrong. Not much wrong with this beer, maybe just a little hazy.

Bright hop flavour mixing it with slightly lesser aroma and good malt in a good balance. Well done.

11 Fents - Hallertau Ale

Low carbonation, but I think it was right for the style.

Smelt of peaches. Slight medicinal taste but again I think it works inthis beer.

This beer gets nicer as it warmed up, also giving more "warming" alcohol mouthfeel as it did so.

Overall a very good beer that went down nicely after an afternoon in the paddock.

Rook's Pommie Bitter and Maple's Irish more brown than red.

Two excellent offerings. Thoroughly enjoyed the malt in both of these, I do appreciate these darker maltier styles.

saison.jpg#15 Quintrex - Saison de votre mre
treat this like a lady and you'll be rewarded. drank this saturday night. got a brandy baloon out to drink it out of. had to pour this sooooooo slowly and still a mountain of head. took about 5 min to pour and it the bglass was chockers but then again i was drinking it at the traditional temp of about 6-8C.

loved it. great fruit and spice aroma and flavours, with a semi dry finish. I slight sourness. couldnt pick a fault. i spent about 30min drinking this i recon. would have loved it if it was a full blown sour saison but i love saisons. This was great and very sad to see it all drank. I gotta check if you posted the recipe Q and use that Ardines slurry you gave me.

24 apd - ??
sorry but i drank yours after Q's so the tastebuds were kinda ruined (and it was a few days ago so the memorys a bit hazy). i couldnt pick anything wrong with this beer and got a better taste towardws the end. cascade hops? maybe a little bland? sorry for the vague tasting notes.

im on holidays this week so i recon the rest will get knocked over in the next few days,

EDIT; added pic of saison

5 - Barramundi - Summer Wheat

Before I looked up what '5' meant, I could've sworn I was drinking an APA loaded with some NZ winey hops. I would never have picked this as a wheat beer, Barra - I was all ready to say it was another very good APA.
How much % of the grist was wheat?

Before I looked up what '5' meant, I could've sworn I was drinking an APA loaded with some NZ winey hops. I would never have picked this as a wheat beer, Barra - I was all ready to say it was another very good APA.

Had the same thoughts wardy

and barra declares 80% wheat malt (discussed a couple of pages back quickly).

Check out the recipe thread, My thought was the yeast used throws you off the scent of a wheat beer

6 - Cummins - Imperial Alt

The only thing letting this down was a very low level of carbonation. Unsure if that was by design or not, but it could use more.

This is one hell of an interesting beer. Big chocolate & alcohol taste leaves an aftertaste that reminds me of white wine (or maybe that's a hangover from Barra's beer just beforehand). Not sure what's going on there, but overall I'm glad I had this beer to taste. I think I'll need to make a beer like this and hide it under the house for 12 months or so.

Check out the recipe thread, My thought was the yeast used throws you off the scent of a wheat beer

I agree, but then I think the whole "wheat" taste is a bit of a myth. I have used small amounts of wheat in dozens of beers of beers and no one has ever commented that there must be wheat present.

On the whole I think that wheat is a very clean neutral tasting malt, its really the yeast in beers such as the weizens that produce that distinctive taste.

I am really glad you did this beer Bara, as I had been meaning to try a similar brew for a long time.

was 80% wheat ward , 4.8kgs from memory and1.2 kgs trad ale, i think klieny might be on the money about the yeast changin how the flavor of wheat comes out

Hello Everyone,

No need to worry. I did get a bottle of apd's mystery beer. With my advancing dyslexia I read apd as apa
and thought it was an American Pale Ale. Never mind the #24 identifying it as apd's beer :)

Now for my tasting notes. I tasted it as an APA. I'm guessing that's what it is without being arsed
to look at the recipe or the posts that mention apd's beer.

#24 apd's apa : Medium-high citrus/tinned fruit aroma, dark gold in colour, Carbonation started out medium-low
and quickly dissipated. Malt was low with medium-high citrus/tinned fruit hop flavour and medium, smooth bitterness.
Body seemed a little watery, a sensation aided by the very low carbonation after the initial pour. All in all a very easy
to drink beer but could have been better but for the fleeting carbonation.

Now, if it's not an apa that changes my tasting notes and I can't be bothered changing them. :)

Happy tasting everyone.

I tried barra's beer over xmas and thought it was a sensational beer, one of my favourites of the swap.

While were on the subject of barra, he called in home on Sunday arvo and we tried a few of the other beers

Regs- APA as everyone has aid it is very under carbed but it was a lovely beer reg, we really enjoyed it, nice and clear, great colour. I have a spare one that you left so i'll save it for another couple weeks and see if it has carbed up a bit more

Citymotgue - Tried this 3 weeks ago, what i can remember about this beer was that it had lots of chocolate flavour and was nice and clean to drink. I also tried you bottle labelled from 2007 that you left and it was equally as good.....you make good dark beers Bretto

Kleiny - after reading all the good reports about your beer i decided to try another of yours as you also left a few extra's at my place also. The first time i tried this beer i was disappointed with it, as per my comments way back in this thread, all i can say is the first bottle must have got infected some how as the second bottle was a pleasure to drink, really enjoyed it this time......so i can't wait to drink the 3rd bottle you left :icon_cheers:

Rook

I tried barra's beer over xmas and thought it was a sensational beer, one of my favourites of the swap.

While were on the subject of barra, he called in home on Sunday arvo and we tried a few of the other beers

Regs- APA as everyone has aid it is very under carbed but it was a lovely beer reg, we really enjoyed it, nice and clear, great colour. I have a spare one that you left so i'll save it for another couple weeks and see if it has carbed up a bit more

Rook

just to back up rooks sentiments , Reg , the only thing i could find lacking in your beer was the bubbles , everything else was on the money , clear, color , malty, and with a bit of hoppy goodness...

also think rook opened up a bottle of mortz ausssie pale ale which was a superb drinking beer as others have said its hard to spot differences between this and coopers sparkling ... , well done ...

and finally thanks to Rook and family for their hospitality for the evening , was a fantastic way to break up a long drive on a hot day , thanks again mate !!!

just to back up rooks sentiments , Reg , the only thing i could find lacking in your beer was the bubbles , everything else was on the money , clear, color , malty, and with a bit of hoppy goodness...

also think rook opened up a bottle of mark_m's ausssie pale ale which was a superb drinking beer as others have said its hard to spot differences between this and coopers sparkling ... , well done ...

and finally thanks to Rook and family for their hospitality for the evening , was a fantastic way to break up a long drive on a hot day , thanks again mate !!!

any time big fella

also that was Mortz pale ale not mark_m's

Rook

I agree, but then I think the whole "wheat" taste is a bit of a myth.

I dont believe its a myth chris although in smaller percentages and useing a normal ale / lager yeast (not one which brings out those flavours associated with a wheat beer) i find that it goes unnoticed in the overall profile of the beer.

However im sure that in higher% the wheat malt would make a huge difference in the same style of beer
If i was to do a 50% wheat beer and a 10% wheat beer (without any other difference) i think you would get comments that the first tasted like it had some wheat malt added.

But that would only be in compareing the two, A true wheat beer is unmistakable and Barra's beer just doesn't yell wheat

Kleiny :icon_cheers:

PS: Thanks Rook i knew it was a better beer than you were making out :p

10 - Superhero - Wit

http://howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html under 'medicinal' describes what I could taste. Sorry Mike, had to tip this one.

13 - CM2 Mongrel Black Schwarz Coffee Roastroastroast beer.

A little too much roast for my liking as you might have guessed. Looking past that, a nice clean lager with no problems lives underneath all that roast.

And that's all of them. Whew, it's hard work drinking a case.

10 - Superhero - Wit

http://howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html under 'medicinal' describes what I could taste. Sorry Mike, had to tip this one.

Hi All,

Here's the recipe for #10 Belgian Witbier

Ingredients:
3 kg Pale Malt
7 kg Wheat Malt
4 kg Raw Wheat
2 kg Rice Hulls
60g Pride of Ringwood hops pellets full boil
60g Coriander seeds (crushed) 20 min from the end
Peel of 3 oranges (bruised) 20 min from the end
16 Cardamon pods (crushed) 20 min from the end
40g Goldings hop pellets 20 min from the end
28g Fuggles hop pellets at the end
1 teaspoon Irish Moss
Wyeast #3944 Belgian Wit yeast.

If you'll notice the ton of Coriander seeds and cardamom pods Wardy, thats what I think you were tasting.

Q

If you'll notice the ton of Coriander seeds and cardamom pods Wardy, thats what I think you were tasting.

Q

Yes, I did notice things other than the medicinal flavour and wondered what they were, but there was definitely an unpleasant medicinal/bandaid sort of taste to it.

I dont believe its a myth chris although in smaller percentages and useing a normal ale / lager yeast (not one which brings out those flavours associated with a wheat beer) i find that it goes unnoticed in the overall profile of the beer.

However im sure that in higher% the wheat malt would make a huge difference in the same style of beer
If i was to do a 50% wheat beer and a 10% wheat beer (without any other difference) i think you would get comments that the first tasted like it had some wheat malt added.

But that would only be in compareing the two, A true wheat beer is unmistakable and Barra's beer just doesn't yell wheat

Well I guess that was the point I was trying to make, in Barra's case he has greater than 50% wheat and we are all struggling to determine exactly what the wheat malt is adding to the overall taste.

I think that if you tried a really low hop regime (say 20IBU bittering only) and a very neutral yeast ( say 1056 ) and did a blind tasting with a similar beer with a pils malt then you would be able to tell the difference, but I don't think it would scream out at you. (In fact this one is on my list of brewing experiments to try in 2009)

Not sure what you are attributing to as a "true" wheat beer, but I am sure Barra could quite easily pass this example off as an American Wheat beer going by the BJCP guidelines, even with the 3787 yeast.

4 Rook - Pommie Bitter

Very clear and very clean and well balanced.

Slight grainy flavour.

Dry finish

Some caramel in the malt.

Had some hop flavour that I can only describe as "bubblegum", a rather poor description I know and not to be confused with yeast derived bubblegum flavours you sometimes get in the wiezens. I get the same thing when using EKG and Fuggles in English Ales some times.

Nice balance towards bitterness in the finish

Gets better with each mouthful.

Great beer Rook.

Latest posts

Back