Vic Secret hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloud Surfer

Reaction score
I have a heap of Vic Secret hops that I was trying to work out what to do with. I make and like IIPA’s, so I was thinking of making one exclusively with the Vic Secret. As in past IIPA’s, I’ll do a 60 min and 20 min hop addition, whirlpool, dry hop in fermenter and dry hop in secondary keg briefly before bottling.

Anyone have experience with this hop and how that will turn out using it exclusively throughout?

I have a heap of Vic Secret hops that I was trying to work out what to do with. I make and like IIPA’s, so I was thinking of making one exclusively with the Vic Secret. As in past IIPA’s, I’ll do a 60 min and 20 min hop addition, whirlpool, dry hop in fermenter and dry hop in secondary keg briefly before bottling.

Anyone have experience with this hop and how that will turn out using it exclusively throughout?
I haven't tried it in an IPA, but this is what "The Hopslist" has to say:

Vic Secret
Vic Secret had her first commercial harvest in 2013. Developed in 2000 in Victoria, Australia alongside sister variety Topaz, Vic Secret features elements of tropical fruit, herbs and pine with clean notes of pineapple and passionfruit.
Advertisement
Tested abundantly by brewers, Vic Secret’s is best utilized via whirlpool and dry hopping. It is also worth noting that late kettle additions impart a wonderful earthiness, but the fruitiness doesn’t come through.

Looks like it's worth a go at least!

Edit:
This guy's had a go. I'm going to get some and follow this recipe, it's got my mouth watering already.
It's annoying that we can't get some hope varieties in Europe: Pride of Ringwood and Superpride are unheard of and I'm dying to try Tangerine Dream, but they don't seem to even get of NZ.

https://brulosophy.com/2018/02/01/the-hop-chronicles-vic-secret-2017/

Last edited:
I brewed an IPA not long ago with nearly all Vic Secret (and just a little Magnum for bittering but it’s hardly needed given the Vic Secret alpha acid). Recipe copied below. I did a few similar recipes to test out and compare some Aussie hops (Enigma, Vic Secret, Topaz). Very fruity flavour, without the unpleasant note many of us detect in Galaxy. Compared to Topaz, I found Vic Secret sharper whereas Topaz has a more rounded flavour. Don’t ask me what that means - it’s just how I perceive it. Currently have on tap an IPA with the two combined and I think it’s one of my best brews.

Vic Secret IPA
OG 1.061
FG 1.011
6.6% abv
48 IBU
6.5 SRM
20 l batch, 85% brewhouse efficiency

4.5 kg pilsner (94.1%)
240 g crystal medium (5.0%)
40 g acid malt (0.8%) (targeting 5.3 mash pH)

Hops
10 g Magnum @60 (13 IBU)
15 g Vic Secret @10 (22 IBU)
15 g Vic Secret @0 (13 IBU)
70 g Vic Secret dry hop

Hot cubed, which is accounted for in above IBU estimated

Yeast
Wyeast 1217 PC West Coast IPA
(could easily use US05 or similar)
Fermented at 19.5 deg

@An Ankoù
I'm growing my Tangerine Dream at the moment so won't know what it's like for a few months ( hopefully ). I've got the TD in a better position than the EKG which are taking a battering in the wind and rain and only about a metre tall at the moment.
We'll see how it goes. I'll try and update if my memory works.

My past IIPA's used 5 different hops, hence why I thought I would ask about single hop IIPA's. I like the comment that it imparts different qualities in the boil to the fruity elements in the dry hop. Anyway, sounds like a good plan after all.

@An Ankoù
I'm growing my Tangerine Dream at the moment so won't know what it's like for a few months ( hopefully ). I've got the TD in a better position than the EKG which are taking a battering in the wind and rain and only about a metre tall at the moment.
We'll see how it goes. I'll try and update if my memory works.
Thanks duncbrewer. Can these hops be bought in pellets or cones, vacuum packed, or do you have to buy the rhizomes and grow them yourself? I haven't seen them advertised on any of the homebrew sites. Would welcome a heads up if you know of a homebrew store that stocks them.

Made a single hop hazy pale ale with it. Threw lots of hops at it and it turned out great for me and also enjoyed by others. Was kind of inspired by the awesome Deeds Brewing single hopped DKAT series which featured an all Vic Secret DIPA release

Wow, thanks for bringing this local hop to my attention. It sounds like it's right up my alley, and I'm going to order some straight away.

The best part is that the name of the beer just writes itself. I'm brewing up a batch of Victoria's Secretion. Now all I need is an image of a hop flower in lingerie and wings.

Wow, thanks for bringing this local hop to my attention. It sounds like it's right up my alley, and I'm going to order some straight away.

The best part is that the name of the beer just writes itself. I'm brewing up a batch of Victoria's Secretion. Now all I need is an image of a hop flower in lingerie and wings.
Here she is:
1637667212411.png

I've used Vic Secret in my last two brews, as bittering, flavour and aroma hops. One is a Coopers clone and the other is a semi-tropical ale. Loving them, will be using a lot more of them in the future.

Any kind of aussie pale ale should considering using VS.

Latest posts

Back