Vic Case Swap Xmas In July 2010 Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Siborg: You know when you get a good head on a beer but it disappears a little with a bit of time?

Some thin to nothing but others leave a bit of white 'lace' whcih clings to the side of the glass. Buy yourself a duvel, pout into a clean glass, drink half then leave for 10 minutes and you should see.

Cocko - glad you enjoyed. Funny about the aroma - siborg said the same thing. Was dry hopped with EKG and target so I'm wondering if it's the target (usually a bittering hop). The commercial version smells beautiful to me - like christmas cake.

Cocko - glad you enjoyed. Funny about the aroma - siborg said the same thing. Was dry hopped with EKG and target so I'm wondering if it's the target (usually a bittering hop). The commercial version smells beautiful to me - like christmas cake.

Mate, my nose aint what it use to be.. ;)

Great beer mate. Be proud, I would if it was mine!

OK,

Closing off the night with:

3. Fourstar - CA.. SNCA! as far as I know!

I get flown to the states each year for work, well used to for the last 8 years, and drink SNPA like its the last chance I have to, it is such a different beer when fresh... as opposed to the $8 bottles of stale shizen we think is great here....... anyway..

Last year I bought the SNCA, and was more than happy I did! I even snuck 8 bottles home in my snowboard bag! I will find "Whats in the glass 'commercial' pics... BEAUTIFUL beautiful beer...

4*, Lets be clear, I am not blowing smoke here, this is possibly the BEST beer I have ever had...

Pours a little cloudy and head is stable.

The flavour is hoppy and caramel in perfect balance for me.... and 4* if you are chasing a SNCA clone you have gotten pretty damn close!

I have already tried to look up the recipe but am confused about what recipe made this beer and NEED to know! Please let me know.

Ok, palette spent. weekend gone......

Out.

Cocko.

:kooi:

9 Kleiny - Rogue Dead Guy Clone

Not familiar with Maibocks, so I wasn't really sure what i should or shouldn't be tasting here. Possibly a bit over carbed, but it wasn't a big drama. Good malt flavour and a really nice bitterness that lingered a little bit. i really enjoyed this beer, well done Kliney

Cheers SJ

You know when you get a good head on a beer but it disappears a little with a bit of time?

Some thin to nothing but others leave a bit of white 'lace' whcih clings to the side of the glass. Buy yourself a duvel, pout into a clean glass, drink half then leave for 10 minutes and you should see.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking it was, just wasn't sure. Shimple's APA had a fair bit of that. I just didn't want to say that, if it meant something else.

In regards to the aroma of your beer, it was the first thing that hit me, but I wasn't completely bad. I'd call it different. My brother was the one who really didn't like the smell (from accross the room, mind you). Like I said in my initial review, though. Smell aside, it was a damn nice beer. I haven't had anything like it before but it was damn tasty - and it went down well with some salt and vinegar chips.

The flavour is hoppy and caramel in perfect balance for me.... and 4* if you are chasing a SNCA clone you have gotten pretty damn close!
I have already tried to look up the recipe but am confused about what recipe made this beer and NEED to know! Please let me know.

Thanks for the Kudos Mate. Glad you enjoyed. sorry if ive given you a hangover @ 7% Looks like you where having a session yesterday! :icon_chickcheers:

It is the SNCA Recipe, not the HG wheat recipe also listed in the recipe thread. :icon_cheers:

This is the one you are looking for.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...st&p=656254

Well I finally got around to clearing some fridge space to house the swap beers - have had a cold, so not in a rush.

It would seem that I missed out on Wakatoo's entry... sorry mate, I am sure it is a cracker of a beer and look forward to hearing about what I am missing out on.

On the upside, the double up I scored was Manticle's which is getting some good reports, so not too upset.

I should get to start tasting some of the spoils later this week (can't really smell much at the moment), gotta say I am looking forward to it from early reports!!

Cheers,

Brendo

I know your pain, Brendo. I was off beer for all of last week due to a cold. Only got back into it on Sat. I don't know if it was the fever or the withdrawal symptoms that were worse.

3. Fourstar - CA.. SNCA! as far as I know!

................ possibly the BEST beer I have ever had...
4* I hope you have a couple bottles of this left so we can swap our versions for comparison. mine's hitting the keg tonight.

4* I hope you have a couple bottles of this left so we can swap our versions for comparison. mine's hitting the keg tonight.
He better not. A couple of us ended up with a different beer altogether, as he was a couple of bottles short for the case swap.

Every cloud has a silver lining, and I'm sure his "4* Wheat" will be a tasty beer indeed.

PS. Thanks for the grain.

cant say i do mate, the one i reserved for myself in the swap is to goto paleale mania. only question is: "is it hoppy enough for a showcased IPA?!" only time will tell. ;)

#9 - Moonshine - Oatmeal Liquorice Molasses Stout

I love the liquorice in this when it gets warmer. However, something else stands out a bit when it gets warmer, too. It seems like there might be a bit of DMS in this beer, I got some cooked vegetable taste towards the end.

18. mcook - American Pale Ale

Well, the lad can tell stories, and he can also brew - Bloody excellent beer mcook!
I can't really add much more feedback than what's already been said.
Colour, Clarity, malt and hop aroma, body, carbonation, head, etc.
It's all in wonderful balance, and leaves many/most commercial (read "micro") APA's for dead.
You should be exceedingly proud making beers like this mate. SWMBO also agreed that it was exceptional.
The Cascade/centennial is a great combo, and I'll certainly be giving this recipe a guernsy for my next APA.

Cheers!
Hutch.

:( ... I hate it when the glass runs dry on such a good beer.
...and I can't go out to the fridge and poor another one...

nice beer zebba, first cab of the rank for me, nose is not much chop at the moment as i had the flu for the last few days.

poured great, little overcarbonated for me, good colour and good taste, maybe a tad thin in the body. cheers its a good drop.

14 - seemax - Cascadian Steam Ale

Maybe the carbonation wasn't quite right, struggled to raise a head on it when pouring. Only thing letting down a really good beer.

Good hop bitterness, flavour and aroma offset nicely by what strikes me as a good proportion of malt. A very tasty drop, if a little undercarbed.

14 - seemax - Cascadian Steam Ale

Maybe the carbonation wasn't quite right, struggled to raise a head on it when pouring. Only thing letting down a really good beer.

Good hop bitterness, flavour and aroma offset nicely by what strikes me as a good proportion of malt. A very tasty drop, if a little undercarbed.

It was the first time I used carb drops (2 per bottle), oddly I sampled a bottle a few days back and it was well carbed. It's been in the bottle for over 3 weeks now, but mostly at 13C or less. Perhaps they just need a little warmth.

22 wardyz esb. Funny I should randomly grab this after zebbas esb. Similar beers wards a touch sweeter and a bit hoppier. Nice beer mate!

Brendo: Black Riggwelter:

Pours deep dark brown which shows up beatiful dark copper with a light shone through it. Off white head, dissipates, some lacing.

Aroma of coffee and treacle. Lovely aroma. No hop aroma.

Carbonation just where it should be. Flavour is magnificent - reminds me a bit of Screwy's choc treacle stout I had recently. You can almost chew this. Nice balance of sweet sugar and burnt bitter sugar. Keep thinking I can smell espresso but then it disappears. There seems to be a teeny hint of warm alc note in there which surprised me at 5.7% but it's subtle and definitely not out of place. Quite a ballsy beer - wasn't sure if it was meant to be a clone of black sheep ale but seems like a much bigger, darker beer. Definitely seems bigger than it is - if I'd read 8% I would not have been surprised.

Really nice mate. Good for a cold winter's night like this one. No idea how to style it is for a northeast brown - don't much care.

To add - as I drink a little more I get a weird kind of saltiness but it seems to work with the burnt treacle/molasses I'm describing. It's quite a rich beer and I'm not sure you could have a session on it - in some ways it's like a really rich sauce (as in delicious but don't douse your beef too strongly). Hope that makes sense.

To add further - just read the recipe and I'm quite surprised at some of the treacle type flavours I'm getting. Also did a quick search and found out about the beer it's based on. Anyway really interesting beer, slightly confounding, definitely delicious. Cheers.

White Cap - Fents Citra PA

If there is a listing for Citra fans - sign me up!

I dry hopped my entry with it and it has taken over the beer, it is powerful, so lucky its nice...

FENTS: Very nice beer mate, even though citra is powerful and possibly over powering hop, you have found an awesome balance to display it!

Loved it!

Want more.

Back