(vic) British Ales Comp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gentlemen,please,your on a public forum.Think about it ... 2105457_U_1272283103441.jpg

:rolleyes:
Real winner and a committeman (how the feck did that happen)

maybe something do to with that faction mentioned earlier
Gotta love democracy. Apologies to derail the derailment.

Andy ,
Thanks for your feed back and for listening . I understand how much work goes into organizing and running a competition.
You are very right , the very person I alluded to in my previous post has been a massive supporter of all brew clubs and the comps they run . He said he wanted to support Melbourne brewers as they also support Westgate with their entries into Stout Extravaganza.
The irony is you HAVE lost him in the process..and you were always going to loose anyone who was unable to enter online.
Guess this means you guys may have a chance in winning best in show now lol :ph34r:
If I can convince him to let me put an entry in , I will...
Regardless , I hope it's a good comp and well supported , as it should be . All clubs need us brewers to support the comps!
Cheers
Ferg
Ps what about an option for entrants to put entries in , in other names ? What I mean , is if I am a registered user of compmaster , how about an option to let me put entries In on other names , under my login. ?
Just a though...
That is a brilliant suggestion ferg... Ive just put that one in the new feature list.

Andy

Stinks of elitism by a faction group of gen y`s whom think their way is the only way.

Sounds like a response from a baby boomer thats fearful of progressiveness. If i wanted to listen to this dribble i'd tune into 1964.

Point me to the group of Gen Y who is developing this product along with the brigade who is peddling it? I sure cant find any developers and the only Gen Y'er voicing an opinion here is me.

Fourstar was blah blah blah.

You asked a question and i gave you an answer. Instead you set your gun to spray mode and shot first, asked questions later. No change there.

I should have known you werent going to accept any response as valid. After all, there was no chance of you accepting any other views other than your own. I shouldnt have wasted my time.

Not quite sure why you n your men always wanna get personal. Its just brewing.

Sure I have never agreed with the online entries and view it with extreme sceptism and have voiced it since day one, and will continue because this isnt in the better interest of homebrewing, it is in the better interest of the club only and see no benefit whatsoever to the enduser/entrant. Its a selfish system in itself.

Its not progressive at all, prove it? you still dont back a good argument. I wasted my time asking the question again. No need to get all stand offish about it, this is a forum where we express an open opinion, remember we are not all behind the closed doors of MB`s.

The Gen Y`s I refer to are the committee at Melbourne Brewers, thats my take on it. Simple.

Sure I have never agreed with the online entries and view it with extreme sceptism and have voiced it since day one, and will continue because this isnt in the better interest of homebrewing, it is in the better interest of the club only and see no benefit whatsoever to the enduser/entrant. Its a selfish system in itself.

Its not progressive at all, prove it? you still dont back a good argument. I wasted my time asking the question again. No need to get all stand offish about it, this is a forum where we express an open opinion, remember we are not all behind the closed doors of MB`s.

The Gen Y`s I refer to are the committee at Melbourne Brewers, thats my take on it. Simple.

Things get personal when you set out to be provocative. Rather than respond to to our answers with why you dont agree, you opt to insult and make outlandish statements.

Its not progressive? If you think paper is the future, im sorry but your sadly mistaken. There was a reason why banks phased out pass book accounts. If this is not being progressive we might as well work it all out on stone tablets and an abacus.

Again, I am the only Gen Y on the Melbourne Brewers committee.

Things get personal when you set out to be provocative. Rather than respond to to our answers with why you dont agree, you opt to insult and make outlandish statements.

Its not progressive? If you think paper is the future, im sorry but your sadly mistaken. There was a reason why banks phased out pass book accounts. If this is not being progressive we might as well work it all out on stone tablets and an abacus.

Again, I am the only Gen Y on the Melbourne Brewers committee.

Go back and read the post`s Braden, nothing until your foul mouthed friend come along was provocative. Outlandish statements? get a grip! I didnt insult anybody nor make outlandish statements. I stand by everyone of them. Brendo is a far better forum spokesman than you, now thats a statement.
No its not progressive at all, the opposite in fact. MB`s are running competitions to suit themselves. Sadly mistaken???? I definitly dont think so..

G'day Haysie,

I don't like using public forums like this as a soapbox, but I feel like someone needs to give this discussion some objective perspective.

Personally I'm pretty glad some of the younger gen have stepped up. In many ways it's unfortunate that older, experienced committee members end up leaving the committee over time, but given the amount of work they end up doing on behalf of the members it's an inevitable fact. So thank goodness we do have enthusiastic, new members on the committee, or the club (any club for that matter) would eventually end up folding!

The committee at MB are indeed now in majority Gen y (or at least the gen between X and Y). Personally I'm an X like you mate, and Pete pre-dates us both. So there's pretty good cross generational representation there at the moment - I'd get my facts straight on those sorts of argumentative points before I started slinging mud.

And speaking about facts, CompMaster is in fact my baby, thought of by me, written by me, and maintained by me. The guys on the committee don't have anything to do with it, other than providing input on how things could work, and deciding when and where to use it. And as I pointed out before, I'm an X, just like you.

CompMaster will live of die by whether or not clubs find is useful to help them run their competitions. For me if they decide to let it die, then I've wasted something like 700+ hours (and counting) of effort and several hundreds of dollars, but then again I wouldn't have to continue to maintain it. The family will be happy. And I could focus more on brewing and the other philanthropic actiities that are a part of my life (like refereeing volleyball for disabled players).

Getting objective again, let's look at the progressive points shall we?

* Entrants do in fact gain advantage through more rapid return of scoresheets, having an online record of their scoresheets and results, and they only put their details into the system once, rather than filling out a form to each entry for every competition.
* Sponsors get better exposure, resulting in the significantly better supported Beerfest prize pool this year.
* Homebrew stores don't have to handle cash with the entries
* Judges get to see the sheets they've written on the day (something that's never been available before this), giving them an opportunity to reflect on their performance in an objective light.

Yes, there's something in there for eveyone. And I won't wax lyrically about the advantages it offers to the competition organisers, because you don't seem interested in that aspect of things at all.

Until you decide it's time for you to put your hand up to do things like spend 10 hours stuffing envelopes and mailing out scoresheets, I would suggest you stop having a go at the very people who dedicate a large proportion of their spare time to support the hobby you love, before you wind up having to do all the heavy lifting yourself.

Andy

I stand by everyone of them. Brendo is a far better forum spokesman than you, now thats a statement.

I obviously dont have to search back to far to find insults. As for the rest, i'll take your route and simply ignore the rest of your response.

You havn't gown up much since the school yard have you?

G'day Haysie,

I don't like using public forums like this as a soapbox, but I feel like someone needs to give this discussion some objective perspective.

I thought it was going good. Heaps of this IS how its done.

Personally I'm pretty glad some of the younger gen have stepped up. In many ways it's unfortunate that older, experienced committee members end up leaving the committee over time, but given the amount of work they end up doing on behalf of the members it's an inevitable fact. So thank goodness we do have enthusiastic, new members on the committee, or the club (any club for that matter) would eventually end up folding!

No doubt, it was all a bit funny how a bunch of mates come in and took all positions with an extreme audience of about 16.

The committee at MB are indeed now in majority Gen y (or at least the gen between X and Y). Personally I'm an X like you mate, and Pete pre-dates us both. So there's pretty good cross generational representation there at the moment - I'd get my facts straight on those sorts of argumentative points before I started slinging mud.

No ones slinging mud, I think you slipped that line via a PM.

And speaking about facts, CompMaster is in fact my baby, thought of by me, written by me, and maintained by me. The guys on the committee don't have anything to do with it, other than providing input on how things could work, and deciding when and where to use it. And as I pointed out before, I'm an X, just like you.

And its not working sometimes,mostimes. Why throw it down the throat of the competition brewers?

CompMaster will live of die by whether or not clubs find is useful to help them run their competitions. For me if they decide to let it die, then I've wasted something like 700+ hours (and counting) of effort and several hundreds of dollars, but then again I wouldn't have to continue to maintain it. The family will be happy. And I could focus more on brewing and the other philanthropic actiities that are a part of my life (like refereeing volleyball for disabled players).

How you run your life is up to you and good luck with it.

Getting objective again, let's look at the progressive points shall we?

* Entrants do in fact gain advantage through more rapid return of scoresheets, having an online record of their scoresheets and results, and they only put their details into the system once, rather than filling out a form to each entry for every competition. -1
* Sponsors get better exposure, resulting in the significantly better supported Beerfest prize pool this year.-1
* Homebrew stores don't have to handle cash with the entries they never did/envelope
* Judges get to see the sheets they've written on the day (something that's never been available before this), giving them an opportunity to reflect on their performance in an objective light.+1

Yes, there's something in there for eveyone. And I won't wax lyrically about the advantages it offers to the competition organisers, because you don't seem interested in that aspect of things at all.

Until you decide it's time for you to put your hand up to do things like spend 10 hours stuffing envelopes and mailing out scoresheets, I would suggest you stop having a go at the very people who dedicate a large proportion of their spare time to support the hobby you love, before you wind up having to do all the heavy lifting yourself.

I have put up my hand and used them in the past as you know. I dont like your progressive thinking nor will I support it, I also realise its a superalative argument, thats my decision and I wont waver. Haysie

Andy

I obviously dont have to search back to far to find insults. As for the rest, i'll take your route and simply ignore the rest of your response.

You havn't gown up much since the school yard have you?

Do I really have to grow up because I do not agree with you. With that attitude, I cant be bothered.
Between your blah blah and Andy`s reply. Online brewing should be as good as online betting......... did you see all those TAB`s close down on the street.

Yes Haysie, you've been a steward on occassion, and that's great - thanks for the input into the community. You may well have had a role on other occassions (pretty sure I've seen you on judging tablesto), so I apologise if I am selling your contribution to the greater homebrewing community well short of reality. But that doesn't give you the right to cast aspersions upon those who put in effort above and beyond to keep our club running.

You do, however, have the right to decide when and if you are going to enter your beers in competitions. I respect that, and indeed I respect your right to air your opinions whether I agree with them or not.

You also have the right to run your own competitions. Even your own club. And good luck with that mate - I mean that most sincerely.

Cheers,

Andy

Yes Haysie, you've been a steward on occassion, and that's great - thanks for the input into the community. You may well have had a role on other occassions (pretty sure I've seen you on judging tablesto), so I apologise if I am selling your contribution to the greater homebrewing community well short of reality. But that doesn't give you the right to cast aspersions upon those who put in effort above and beyond to keep our club running.

You do, however, have the right to decide when and if you are going to enter your beers in competitions. I respect that, and indeed I respect your right to air your opinions whether I agree with them or not.

You also have the right to run your own competitions. Even your own club. And good luck with that mate - I mean that most sincerely.

Cheers,

Andy

Good luck with the crew Andy, no one was ever casting aspersions remember. It was the AndyD software that ruffled the feathers, It just grew from there like all good things brewing.

Yes, I would not enter a beer in any competition run by Melbourne nor the Vicbrew committee you sit on, I have no doubt at some stage you will also bring that into disrespute with your sometimes/sometimes not 700+ hour/yawn Compmaster.

My own competitions? NOOOOOO..its TOO MUCH fun seeing the shit kicked out of Melbourne ATM.

Very Sincerely

anyhoo... back to the topic at hand, entries close this Saturday.

If you intend entering, I wish you all the best of luck.

Cheers,

Brendo

anyhoo... back to the topic at hand, entries close this Saturday.
Do online entries for bottles that will be dropped off at the venue on the day also close this Saturday, or is the close-off only for those that need to be taken to a pickup-point?

Hmmm, Beer is good.

Hope lots of people have entered good beers for me to judge.

If people out there want to enter, then u should. Comps are fun

All entries need to have been registered online by this Saturday.

c

Andy

Man who open up the can o' whup ass, what a screwed up thread.
The only post I can see worthy was the Buddha picture...chillax dudes.

Du99, equal op? falls on its arse, everyone has free internet access via public libraries.

FergtheBigDaddybrewer, great Idea on per persona entries, congrats on the bub, was it a dog or a cat?

Haysie, entry fees were discounted in beerfest for online entry as well as club membership, $2ea off $11 down to $7, I do find the payment method convenient & it removes any hassels of entry fees going missing. I can see the reduction in labour on having to relabel all the entries. I am also happy to save a few trees by getting the scoresheets electronically & saves on postage costs for the clubs. I think it's fair to say that when a lot of the teething problems are aired out & it's running smoother I can see more comps going on board with it, most likely as "A" method not "The" method.

Andy has made an important point of wanting to remain inclusive, I had raised the issue of offline brewers in the lead up to beerfest & thought it was a bit harsh penalising them. I think the P/P entry system might help this. If it doesnt help non club members, then that's fine IMO, it's just a further inducement for them to join a club & be more involved in the HB community.

Not sure why everyone needs to get so combative in their arguements, surely we can do these things more politely, I have been able to ask delicate questions of Andy & Brendo via PM that removes the chance for misinterpretation on an open thread & starts a snowball of arguements. I would give you an example, but that would start an arguement :)

Raise a glass to Ferg despite the missus doing all the hard work :) Slainte

Man who open up the can o' whup ass, what a screwed up thread.
The only post I can see worthy was the Buddha picture...chillax dudes.

Du99, equal op? falls on its arse, everyone has free internet access via public libraries.

FergtheBigDaddybrewer, great Idea on per persona entries, congrats on the bub, was it a dog or a cat?

Haysie, entry fees were discounted in beerfest for online entry as well as club membership, $2ea off $11 down to $7, I do find the payment method convenient & it removes any hassels of entry fees going missing. I can see the reduction in labour on having to relabel all the entries. I am also happy to save a few trees by getting the scoresheets electronically & saves on postage costs for the clubs. I think it's fair to say that when a lot of the teething problems are aired out & it's running smoother I can see more comps going on board with it, most likely as "A" method not "The" method.

Andy has made an important point of wanting to remain inclusive, I had raised the issue of offline brewers in the lead up to beerfest & thought it was a bit harsh penalising them. I think the P/P entry system might help this. If it doesnt help non club members, then that's fine IMO, it's just a further inducement for them to join a club & be more involved in the HB community.

Not sure why everyone needs to get so combative in their arguements, surely we can do these things more politely, I have been able to ask delicate questions of Andy & Brendo via PM that removes the chance for misinterpretation on an open thread & starts a snowball of arguements. I would give you an example, but that would start an arguement :)

Raise a glass to Ferg despite the missus doing all the hard work :) Slainte
Here , Here Geoff...
Very well said...
I shall be putting an entry in...bit young but my Irish red Ver 2.00 could do with some feedback....
OT...neither dog or cat...healthy ( and extremely thirsty ) Baby boy...tipping the scales at 4.485kg ( over 9 llb)
Good luck with your entries...
Cheers
Ferg

Latest posts

Back