Vic Brewery / Bar Suggestions?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crozdog

Lunchbox Legend!
Reaction score
hi all,

next week i'm taking the family on road trip to ballarat, melbourne & lakes entrance.

I'd appreciate suggestions on breweries or good bars to checkout during my travels.

thanks in advance

crozdog

Which direction are you coming from to ballarat? If possible, stop at Holgate Brewery in Woodend. Not too sure about bars around the 'rat - tend to stay home myself. The GC doesn't have much in the way of mega-brews on tap, but a nice selection of James Squires which was nice on the one time I attended a function there.

Which direction are you coming from to ballarat? If possible, stop at Holgate Brewery in Woodend. Not too sure about bars around the 'rat - tend to stay home myself. The GC doesn't have much in the way of mega-brews on tap, but a nice selection of James Squires which was nice on the one time I attended a function there.
heading to shepparton, through bendigo them ballarat

heading to shepparton, through bendigo them ballarat

Perfect! Head straight down the Calder and take the Woodend turn off. Brewery is on the main drag on your right. To get to Ballarat, you head thru Daylesford from Woodend (hour and a bit). Make sure you also stop for some snot blocks vanilla slice at the woodend bakery as well :icon_drool2:

+1 on Holgate. And grab yourself some of 'The Temptress' choc porter while you're there. Yum. :)

Info on regional breweries:
Tourism Victoria Regional Breweries
Info on Melbourne breweries:
Tourism Victoria Melbourne Breweries

Sadly not a lot of breweries around Ballarat I believe. The concerntration of them is around Victoria's Alpine country (ie. Bright Brewery, Jamieson's, Mt Buffalo) and also our wine country in the Yarra Valley (White Rabbit, Coldstream and Buckleys). Some locals may be able to point you in the right direction and Ballarat being a big old goldrush town is sure to have an awesome historic pub or several.

In Melbourne most locals would say for Breweries Mountain Goat is the place - In Richmond so just out of Melbourne's CBD. Great beers, you can see the brewery while you drink (and tours available on occasion) wood fired pizza, bohemian uni type crowd and there's an awesome pub down river st around the corner with great craft beer and food if you get bored of that called the Royston.
Links to Mountain goat brewery:
Goat Beer
Link to the Royston Pub:
Royston

For views of the water and a beer James Squire Tavern at Docklands is also supposed to be a goer:
All I could find was this old review:
James Squire Docklands Review 2007

Mrs Parmas also has a fantastic reputation and stocks a load of craft beer:
http://www.mrsparmas.com.au/

You also have Portland Hotel (which brews beer for James Squire on site) in the CBD which has a bistro, and some good beers on tap at the moment.

Hopper.

next week i'm taking the family on road trip to ballarat, melbourne & lakes entrance.
My cousin and her husband just opened a Thai restaurant in Lakes Entrance, I have no idea what sort of beer they serve, but I might have to find out. :)

cheers guys,

looking forward to getting down there!

croz

NEWS FLASH!

A mate just tried to go to James Squires Docklands (Melbourne) on Friday as he had a thirst for JS Porter.
There was an A4 Sheet on the door and some message about it being closed and rent not being paid and the venue being re-let.

So scrub that one off the shopping list Crozdog. Bummer that - never been but heard the spot was pretty good to catch a beer.

Cheers,

Hopper.

NEWS FLASH!

A mate just tried to go to James Squires Docklands (Melbourne) on Friday as he had a thirst for JS Porter.
There was an A4 Sheet on the door and some message about it being closed and rent not being paid and the venue being re-let.

So scrub that one off the shopping list Crozdog. Bummer that - never been but heard the spot was pretty good to catch a beer.

Cheers,

Hopper.

WHAT

THE

F**K!!!!

Damn, that sucks hard core. I used to go there all the time. Hopefully they sort it out and re-open. If not, I'm gonna need to find another place that shows the UFC main events for free.

True South Brewery. spectacular views over the bay and only 20 mins from St Kilda :) Also check out the "Crafty Pint" website, heaps of VIC brewery info.

Thanks all for the top tips, we had a great trip but didn't have time to make it to all the suggestions :(

Had a great choc porter @ Holgate as well as a famous 'snot block' at the bakery on the corner.

Tried a few @ young & jacksons, but it wasn't really family oriented so didn't hang for long.

Got to The Royston one evening & had a great hand pumped Holgate ESB & a Hargraves ESB too. The meals were excellent! Definitely worth going back to.

Stayed 2 Nomads Backpackers in MLB - at least they had Fat Yak on tap.

Have to try a few more places when i come back for ANHC!

Latest posts

Back